Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. Australia 12/08/09 Kick off 7:45pm - Sky Sports 2

• 30-07-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Squad:

(Goalkeepers) Given, Westwood, Murphy;

(Defenders) O'Shea, Foley, Dunne, Kelly, Kilbane, Nolan, St. Ledger;

(Midfielders) McGeady, Duff, Gibson, Whelan, Andrews, Miller, Hunt, Keogh, Lawrence;

(Forwards) Folan, Doyle, Keane, Long, Best

Some good news is that Steven Reid is on standby, no place for Finnan though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Looking at that squad and thinking..how the hell are we in contention with Italy for group winners???

hats off to Mr Trap!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This game is on the week before the Premiership starts..?thats crazy,thank god no Liverpool players are involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Thank god it's not in Croker. Couldn't handle shelling out another €50 on another meaningless boring friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm sure there'll be plenty of Liverpool players involved. ;)

Egypt - Guinea
    Ghana - Zambia
    Mali - Burkina Faso
    Morocco - Congo
    South Africa - Serbia
    Togo - Angola
    Tunisia - Côte d'Ivoire
    Congo DR - Senegal
    Colombia - Venezuela
    Ecuador - Jamaica
    Albania - Cyprus
    Oman - Saudi Arabia
    Singapore - China PR
    Algeria - Uruguay
    Austria - Cameroon
    Bulgaria - Latvia
    Hungary - Romania
    Iceland - Slovakia
    Northern Ireland - Israel
    Denmark - Chile
    Estonia - Brazil
    Liechtenstein - Portugal
    Malta - Georgia
    Netherlands - England
    Poland - Greece
    Russia - Argentina
    Sweden - Finland
    Czech Republic - Belgium
    FYR Macedonia - Spain
    Bosnia-Herzegovina - Iran
    Montenegro - Wales
    Mexico - USA
    Faroe Islands - France
    Norway - Scotland
    Trinidad and Tobago - El Salvador
    Republic of Ireland - Australia
    Honduras - Costa Rica
    Korea Republic - Paraguay
    Armenia - Moldova
    Luxembourg - Lithuania
    Slovenia - San Marino
    Switzerland - Italy
    Ukraine - Turkey
    Azerbaijan - Germany
    Belarus - Croatia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Dub13 wrote: »
    This game is on the week before the Premiership starts..?thats crazy,thank god no Liverpool players are involved.
    Or Bohs... slap bang in the middle of our season! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

eirebhoy wrote: »

Fcuk,I taught this was just a case of the FAI trying to get an extra game in.This is a crazy time to have a Int round of games its the first time I can remember having the games before the premiership starts,they normally have a Int round after 2/3 Premiership games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

This is supposed to be Vidukas first game back aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I thought this was meant to be the Stephen Ireland come back show?

JPA wrote: »
    I thought this was meant to be the Stephen Ireland come back show?

No that will be the first match in the World Cup :rolleyes: (subject to qualification).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

How come there's no media campaign to get Clinton Morrison back into the squad?:confused: He's a really top class striker, which is exactly what we need. I'm going to single-handedly get him called up. Who's with me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I can see quite alot of "injuries" for those friendlies.

Can't blame them either TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Estonia - Brazil

Faroe Islands - France

Two MASSIVE games there. I can see Brian Kerr finally getting one over on France :pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Ireland dropped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Is it Brian Murphy or Barry Murphy in the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

How come there's no media campaign to get Clinton Morrison back into the squad?:confused: He's a really top class striker, which is exactly what we need. I'm going to single-handedly get him called up. Who's with me?

Does not compute. Brain sore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'll be at this game.
    My first Ireland game in a few years actually.

Giving Kewel and Lucas Neill abuse!

(Maybe Cahill too:p).

Is it Brian Murphy or Barry Murphy in the squad?

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

CHD wrote: »
    Ireland dropped?

Looks like it.

Also, kudos to The Trap for not picking any LoI players in the middle of their season .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Dropping S.Ireland is madness after the season he's had. I don't understand Traps thinking at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I know, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

Im with you!!! lets do this!!! lol, to be fair tho i think hes a much better player than Caleb Folan, Shane Long and haven seen much of Leon Best but surely Morrison is better hes coventrys captain and Best wasnt even a regular starter for coventry last season. why is doyle even in the squad too isnt he injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Quint wrote: »
    Thank god it's not in Croker. Couldn't handle shelling out another €50 on another meaningless boring friendly

It's 55 euro for a stand ticket and 35 euro for a terrace ticket.

That's complete robbery, given that soccer friendlies are usually poor spectacles.

To put in perspective, for a Munster ML fixture stand costs 35/40 euro and terrace 22 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

"Stephen Ireland left out of the squad to play Australia..." ... what, so you mean he IS an option now? ...

mr.noobie wrote: »
    why is doyle even in the squad too isnt he injured?

Nope hes fully fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It's 55 euro for a stand ticket and 35 euro for a terrace ticket.

That's complete robbery, given that soccer friendlies are usually poor spectacles.

To put in perspective, for a Munster ML fixture stand costs 35/40 euro and terrace 22 euro.

It's the first game in Thomond.
    Of course they're gonna try and bleed us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

How does Joe Murphy get called up ahead of Brian? Especially in the middle of the LoI season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

blue-army wrote: »
    How does Joe Murphy get called up ahead of Brian? Especially in the middle of the LoI season.

Because, simply, Joe is younger, better and it's not the middle of his season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭thecutter

Totally agree with the calls for Clinton Morrisson

I wouldnt have Shane Long in the squad if I was traps

Also, I know he is older than the rest of the squad (bar kilbane who is 58 years old), but what ever happened to Lee Carsley?

Surely he deserves a squad place even

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

SectionF wrote: »
    Or Bohs... slap bang in the middle of our season! :eek:

What is a Bohs hehe:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

thecutter wrote: »
    Totally agree with the calls for Clinton Morrisson

I wouldnt have Shane Long in the squad if I was traps

Also, I know he is older than the rest of the squad (bar kilbane who is 58 years old), but what ever happened to Lee Carsley?

Surely he deserves a squad place even

I too would like to see Morrison get a call up. I'm not too sure about this, but I thought Carsley was retired from international football.

Australia squad:

Mark Schwarzer, Ante Covic.

Patrick Kisnorbo, Lucas Neill, Rhys Williams, Jade North, Matthew Spiranovic, Adrian Madaschi, Luke Wilkshire, David Carney.

Mark Bresciano, James Holland, Dario Vidosic, Tim Cahill, Nick Carle, Harry Kewell, Oliver Bozanic, Mile Jedinak.

Scott McDonald, Brett Holman, Nikita Rukavytsya, Aaron Mooy.

......No Viduka return!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

PCros wrote: »
    This is supposed to be Vidukas first game back aswell.

He can go back the way he fcuking came tbh.

Never mind. Just read the post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Estonia - Brazil

????????

Estonia are an awful team, even England under McClaren hammered them IIRC. I think countries pay Brazil to turn up generally, god knows why Estonia have set this up.

Morrison and Carsley have both stated they are still available. Dont get why theyre out myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Got two freebies for this today. Hurrah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

shane86 wrote: »
    Morrison and Carsley have both stated they are still available. Dont get why theyre out myself.

Lee Carsley retired from international football to spend more time with his family (including disabled child).

However, he said if Ireland ever need him to start a competitive match he would gladly answer the call. But he won't travel for friendlies or to sit on the bench. Maybe he has, but I don't recall him changing his stance.

I've said it before, but I think it would be a great idea to have double headers on friendly nights, so that the main game is preceeded by a LOI IX v Ireland B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

sugarman wrote: »
    I still dont know why Trap continuously to select the likes of Liam Miller ahead of someone as experienced as Carsley aswell as Fahey whos becoming a regular starter for Birmingham. TBH i havent seen much of him since he moved there but he always impressed me when i seen him play.

Now I am someone who actually does rate Liam Miller as he certainly has plenty of talent (with an unfortunate lack of mental toughness) but he still doesn't have a club does he?!

So essentially Fahey is not seen as a better option than a guy who no club is willing to take a gamble on and sign for free. Really don't see why Trap doesn't give guys like this a shot in this kind of game. I mean it'll make no difference as Miller won't be first choice for qualifiers either way.

Also might have been a good chance to give McCarthy at Wigan a run but I'll admit I could be a bit premature with that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

No he requested not to be selected, getting his hair cut that day

Australia have a few ex Rangers players don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Just out of interest for the folks who would usually go to friendlies in Croker or even Landsdowne back in the day, are many of you heading down to Limerick for this game?

Im proud to see an international ireland game being played in Limerick, just my luck that Im in Dublin for the next few weeks, might head down though and make a day of it, pre match pints, watch the match and then head into town afterwards......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Disappointed at no Stephen Ireland. Would have liked to see Andy Reid too, although unlikely and even Lee Carsley. Good to hear Steven Reid is nearly fit - hope he he can still perform at PL level considering he has barely kicked a football in the last few years.

Trap is obviously a very good manager but I despair at his selections sometimes. Why not Chris McCann, Keith Fahey or James McCarthy instead of Liam Miller and give them a go? Wouldn't like to see him in the 'B' squad never mind the senior panel! He was rubbish at QPR and chances are he'll be playing League One football next season ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Is it just me or is the higher ticket price of €55 a bit steep? With the cheapest seats starting at €25 and €35.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the higher ticket price of €55 a bit steep? With the cheapest seats starting at €25 and €35.

Im probably going to go with the east and west terrace, you will be right beside the pitch with a good view. The stands are too far away from the pitch imo, would just be like croker.

35 for east and west terrace, 25 for north and south and 55 for stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Im probably going to go with the east and west terrace, you will be right beside the pitch with a good view. The stands are too far away from the pitch imo, would just be like croker.

35 for east and west terrace, 25 for north and south and 55 for stand.

I know where each ticket is for. I just think the prices are a bit high for what is a meaningless game, especially when €80 gets you a season ticket to see Limerick FC which helps local football. Then again I would probably be in a minority when it comes to watching Ireland play, as I tend to find them awful to watch. But as I said I would be in a minority with my opinion, going by the crowds that watch them in Dublin.

Kevin Doyle will play in the Republic of Ireland's friendly against Australia at Thomond Park on Wednesday according to an FAI spokesperson.

Doyle took a full-part in training with the squad in Tipperary this morning despite recent reports from Wolves which suggested the Wexford native would not be involved in the squad following a hernia operation.

Leon Best failed to take part in the session after suffering a foot injury in yesterday's win for Coventry over Ipswich.

Best will have a scan today, but no replacement will be brought into the squad, while John O'Shea and Celeb Folan did some light training work after their weekend action.

Source RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

PCros wrote: »
    Kevin Doyle will play in the Republic of Ireland's friendly against Australia at Thomond Park on Wednesday according to an FAI spokesperson.

Source RTE

Yeah Liam Brady was talking on sky sports news,

Saying that Wolves have made him available for 45mins.

Good News for Ireland and Wolves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Good News for Ireland and Wolves.

...and my fantasy football team! :D

I agree on the ticket prices, a bit pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Saying that Wolves have made him available for 45mins.

They're allowed do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

They're allowed do that?

Well it's just the way Brady said it, he wasn't exoecting him to be available, but McCarthy was in touch and seems as though he played in a friendly match for Wolves he said he would be available to play for 45mins,

Bit of a benefit for all involved id say.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Are internationals not always on this time of year anyway?

• Advertisement
Advertisement