Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. Australia 12/08/09 Kick off 7:45pm - Sky Sports 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Preparation for Cyprus has to be done, if there were no friendlies then people would be giving out because the team wouldnt be ready for competitive world cup qualifiers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Should be a decent game. Australia are bringing over quite a strong squad with some really exciting youngsters (Rhys Williams and Nikita Rukavytsya in particular).

A midfield including Kewell, Bresciano, Cahill will be good, and the Aussies don't concede many goals.

Did a bit of a preview here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Should be a decent game. Australia are bringing over quite a strong squad with some really exciting youngsters (Rhys Williams and Nikita Rukavytsya in particular).

A midfield including Kewell, Bresciano, Cahill will be good, and the Aussies don't concede many goals.

Did a bit of a preview here

Speaking of Kewell, just been doing a bit of reading up as he seemed to drop off the radar after Liverpool. His record loks rather tasty for Galatasary, 15 goals in 27, considering he got 12 in 93 for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Nice preview.

I think it will be an interesting match, its hard to say how Australia will do. Yes they have let in one goal in their recent campaign but they had some of the worst teams in their group and rarely play decent sides. I like that Kennedy chap, he's good in the air but hes not included in the squad?

My predictions are 2-1 to the boys in green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

How come there's no media campaign to get Clinton Morrison back into the squad?:confused: He's a really top class striker, which is exactly what we need. I'm going to single-handedly get him called up. Who's with me?

Scored two good goals against Ipswich at the weekend. He should definitely be included in the squad. His positional sense is very very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I reckon it will be a draw. For me the most interesting thing will be to see how the defence gets on. I thought St. Ledger played well in the last game so hopefully he can turn in another good performance. Apparently the back four is tipped to feature Dunne and St. Ledger with Kilbane at left-back and O'Shea at right-back. I thought Kilbane was found out in a big way against Bulgaria so personally I'd rather see O'Shea at left-back and Kevin Foley at right-back with Dunne and St. Ledger in the centre.

I also don't like the fact that Whelan is set to play. I'd prefer Gibson playing alongside Andrews. The sooner Steven Reid returns the better and hopefully Whelan can be consigned to the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Team is named:

Given
    O'Shea Dunne St Ledger Kilbane
    McGeady Gibson Whelan Duff
    Doyle Keane

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0811/ireland.html

Not liking the way he is sticking with Kilbane at left back. I'd agree with Mr Nice Guy ^ and go with Foley at RB and O'Shea on other side.

As for a result, i'll go with 1-1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

St. Ledger at CB beside Dunne is a lot better than McShane at RB IMHO, really like Sean, not the tallest but he reads the game very well.

Would agree with the two posters who said Foley at RB and O'Shea LB would be better.

Even Kelly at LB would be better than Kilbane.

Why isn't Delaney in the squad anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

My Kingdom to drop Glenn Whelan! I'm starting to believe he has incriminating on Trap. At least Andrews can tackle occassionally. What does Whelan bring to the table? Can't tackle, can't pass, he just seems to mark space and try to close down angles (hence will be exposed against the better teams). Why not give Chris McCann of Burnley a go to see what he can do? Obviously I'm aware it was CCC football but he has a great engine, can tackle, surge forward and score goals. The lad has excellent potential (no exaggeration). I'd certainly have him anyday over Liam Bloody Miller!

My Kingdom to drop Glenn Whelan!

I'm sure Andrews will come on second half. I hope he gives Miller a shot. I'll always remember that sweet 30 yarder he scored against Sweden, that was Staunton's first match in charge.

PCros wrote: »
    I'm sure Andrews will come on second half. I hope he gives Miller a shot. I'll always remember that sweet 30 yarder he scored against Sweden, that was Staunton's first match in charge.

To be honest, for me Liam Miller shouldn't be anywhere near the Irish squad. He might not be playing Championship football next season, never mind Premier League! McCann, Fahey, McCarthy and even the likes of Owen Garvan and Stephen Quinn should be ahead of him in the pecking order.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

To be honest, for me Liam Miller shouldn't be anywhere near the Irish squad. He might not be playing Championship football next season, never mind Premier League! McCann, Fahey, and even the likes of Garvan should be ahead of him in the pecking order.
    The only reason to play Miller is to help him get a club. Which hardly inspires that he is good enough for the Irish team.

Call me pessimistic however Kilbane has to go - an accident waiting to happen. McShane is sh1te but I'd even reshuffle the pack to include him instead of Kilbane if he was fit. My ideal defence going into the qualifers would be:

Kelly/Foley - Dunne - St Ledger - O'Shea

True but I wouldn't say Miller is the worst player we could have on the squad, his problems and his tardiness are something he needs to sort out. If he does he might be a good player again.

• Advertisement

Call me pessimistic however Kilbane has to go - an accident waiting to happen. McShane is sh1te but I'd even reshuffle the pack to include him instead of Kilbane if he was fit. My ideal defence going into the qualifers would be:

Don't forget about Finnan....now that hes injury free and his return to the PL will surely get him called up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Don't forget about Finnan....now that hes injury free and his return to the PL will surely get him called up again.
    I'm actually starting to feel positive about our fullbacks now. If St Ledger can establish himself at Centre Half that frees up JOS for left/rightback. Then we have lots of options for one position - Kelly, Foley, Finnan etc., one of them will prove themselves. I just hope Kilbane doesn't put his i'm-un-dropable spell on Trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Who stole Ray Haughton's sweets? He's had a pop at every Irish player at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

LOL :(

Terrible defending from Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Whelan and Gibson are pure dogsh**e in midfield, adding Andrews makes it no better...depressing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Great stuff from Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

John O'Shea truly is the nutmeg king. That's Luis Figo, Ashley Cole, and Australian Left Back on his list.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

John O'Shea truly is the nutmeg king. That's Luis Figo, Ashley Cole, and Australian Left Back on his list.:D

What about Richard Dunne's one on Zidane?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ireland are playing sh!t. The atmosphere is sh!t. This is sh!t.

2-0 now, Cahill again

Jesus we're desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Duff wrote: »
    What about Richard Dunne's one on Zidane?:eek:

See what happens when you praise Richard Dunne.:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Cahill again very nice. Trapps Ireland getting a spanking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Ah for fuk sake!! come on Ireland!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Fcuk :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Just unbelievable. We've been pretty poor in general play, but those two pieces of defending were just beyond shocking.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ireland are playing sh!t. The atmosphere is sh!t.
    Not much to get excited about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

God help us.

F*** off Whelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Hope Trapp gives them a right oul boll0cking in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Better the players get a crap game out of there system before the serious business of Cyprus next month

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

lol Whelan, can we get rid of him now.

Yeah no harm, its only a friendly sure you could see McGeady pulling out of that tackle which lead up to the second goal.

Would like to see us score though.

Is it just me or does Doyle ever win a ball in the air??? I've yet to see him do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Better the players get a crap game out of there system before the serious business of Cyprus next month

Couldn't agree more.

This game is good for Ireland. We're always awful when we think we're deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Gibson and Whelan, not good enough lads.

• Advertisement

CHD wrote: »
    lol Whelan, can we get rid of him now.

Obviously he has some incriminating photos of Trap.

Is it just me or does Doyle ever win a ball in the air??? I've yet to see him do it.
    Are you for serious with that post? I hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

A team that has two reserves in the centre midfield isn't good enough for me. God I hate watching the Irish team play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    A team that has two reserves in the centre midfield isn't good enough for me. God I hate watching the Irish team play.
    But Whelans a regular for Stoke?

Aidric wrote: »
    Are you for serious with that post? I hope not.

Just frustrated:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Andy Reid ping and move ping and move spraying 40 yard passes all over...remember when Irish midfielders played the ball forwards?? those where the days

• Advertisement

On another note, I heard the guy say Cahill was turned down when he applied to play for us.

Why was that? I taught his grandparents were Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Defo need a change in there for the 2nd half & the Cyprus game! Neither of them are ball winners,then again have we got 1 for centre midfield in this squad? Andrews maybe. Hopefully Trapp uses all 6 subs,atleast it can be used as a blooding excercise for the likes of Foley ,Lawrence & the 4 other fringe players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

The sooner Stephen Reid gets back the better, Hunt and Folan on for the second half. I'm at the game and the atmosphere has been dead mainly because we've rarely been in the final third anywhere near the Australian goal. It's been all in the Ireland half or near enough to midfield.

Just frustrated:mad:
    I feel your pain. This is punishing to watch.

On another note, I heard the guy say Cahill was turned down when he applied to play for us.

Why was that? I taught his grandparents were Irish?

They are but the application didn't get passed FIFA afaik.

• Advertisement
Advertisement