Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. Australia 12/08/09 Kick off 7:45pm - Sky Sports 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ideal line up for Cyprus:

Given

Foley - Dunne - St Ledger - O'Shea

McGeady - McCann - S.Reid - Ireland

Keane - Doyle

Too much to ask? Ireland isn't great in the centre of a 4 man midfield. Unlikely McCann will get picked but surely the best defensive midfieder we have? If not then Andrews please, ANYONE but Whelan. Kilbane is past it, and although I respect his professionalism and commitment he shouldn't have near the number of caps he has. Duff, unlike Kilbane, used to be a class player but is s***e now.

I can't agree with putting Ireland on the left. He's best in the centre surely where he can influence play more. This is our major weak point in the team. This would be my ideal XI at the minute:

Given

McGeady - Ireland - S.Reid - Hunt

Keane - Doyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Burkatron wrote: »
    Whole game,hes far fitter then he was at Liverpool! Such a ****!

Scored 15 in 27 last season for Galatasary too. As opposed to 12 in 90 odd for Liverpool.:pac:

Also whos this McCann fella?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

flahavaj wrote: »
    Also whos this McCann fella?:confused:

Tall, rangy central midfielder who impressed during Burnley's cup runs last season.

So that's it, Trapp out, cancel the World Cup (and Christmas obv). Disgraceful performance in such a key ga...oh wait. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Just back from training so missed the game and the build up. Can anyone give me a quick summary of the game?

Also Stephen Reid was he in the squad at all? Hes fit again isnt he??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Since Kewell finally made a full recoverry from his groin woes he does seem to be transformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭steod

joe123 wrote: »
    Just back from training so missed the game and the build up. Can anyone give me a quick summary of the game?

Also Stephen Reid was he in the squad at all? Hes fit again isnt he??

your lucky you missed it, absolute muck by Ireland in general. steven reid not in the squad but fingers crossed should be fit and back very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So that's it, Trapp out, cancel the World Cup (and Christmas obv). Disgraceful performance in such a key ga...oh wait. :rolleyes:

Bring back Kerr!

Are Waterford the most represented county in the squad now with Josh, the Hunt brothers and Nolan all involved? Get Brian Murphy in there and it'd be 5!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Bring back Kerr!
    I agree. He only lost 1-0 to France like.

• Advertisement

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I agree. He only lost 1-0 to France like.
    Twice now with 2 different countries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Will be curious to see if Stephen Ward and Keith Fahey get a look in now they are playing in the Premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Christ, that RTE analysis was dire. It's like they were implying Whelan, Gibson and Andrews were our only options. I couldn't believe how light the players got off. Well I hope the papers give the central midfield a massive hammering tomorrow anyway! John Giles and Eamon Dunphy, for all their faults, at least tell it as it is and speak their minds!

The only plus point from tonight is Cyprus were smashed, but they are a totally different kettle of fish in Nicosia.

After watching Kenny Cunningham and Ronnie Whelan I felt like Frank Grimes in that Simpsons episode where he was the only one that had a major problem with Homer Simpson (Glenn Whelan). :p

I can't agree with putting Ireland on the left. He's best in the centre surely where he can influence play more. This is our major weak point in the team. This would be my ideal XI at the minute:

Given

McGeady - Ireland - S.Reid - Hunt

Keane - Doyle

Ireland is much better in a 5 man midfield, he's not as effective in a 4-4-2 in the centre but I'd be very willing to go with that though - still much better than our current central midfield.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Tall, rangy central midfielder who impressed during Burnley's cup runs last season.

I'm not insinuating that by any means. However this is more proof our central midfield just isn't good enough and it's very frustrating. Would have liked if he had taken this friendly to try to blood the likes McCann etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think some poster are forgetting that EPL hasnt even started and the players are still rusty

iirc the Australian soccer league is up and going atm

Yep, kicked off last weekend ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Any chance the tactics are letting the midfield down rather than the players in it?

Yep, kicked off last weekend ;)

still gives an edge to the Australians, a small one ;)

Headshot wrote: »
    still gives an edge to the Australians, a small one ;)

Yep, especially with most of them playing in Europe.

• Advertisement

Yep, especially with most of them playing in Europe.

iv trying to find some excuse for the irish :D

I did hear that the training in tipp town was ****e and most of the players werent pushed

Headshot wrote: »
    iv trying to find some excuse for the irish :D

I did hear that the training in tipp town was ****e and most of the players werent pushed

It's punishment enough being in Tipp Town tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I sky plussed the game as i was away for the evening. Is it even worth watching? Is there anything positive to take out of the performance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

chupacabra wrote: »
    I sky plussed the game as i was away for the evening. Is it even worth watching? Is there anything positive to take out of the performance?
    Yeah, Australia were good to watch. Cahill's performance was a positive for Everton

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Any chance the tactics are letting the midfield down rather than the players in it?

Honestly, imo no. Our CMs are of a very low technical level. I'm a big, big fan of possession football but i do actually think that with very poor central midfielders, like we have, counter attacking football could be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Thought we put in a decent performance against a team that IMO if they were a European side would be the 3rd best in Europe (Id put Holland and Spain in front). Lack of attacking teeth mind, but the defending was, in general, pretty well organised. You can discount the cracker of a dying minute goal in a friendly against Westwood tbh, in all fairness it would have been 1-0 only for Given having been very uncharacteristically caught sleeping for the 2nd goal. As said, though we didnt get much bite up front the passing was pretty top.

Was watching it behind enemy lines here in Queensland ( :) ) the Aussie pundits/ commentators were slating the Irish :confused: Ive seen alot worse performances against worse teams. Having seen this Id put the Aussies as serious contenders for at least the semis next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

shane86 wrote: »
    Thought we put in a decent performance against a team that IMO if they were a European side would be the 3rd best in Europe (Id put Holland and Spain in front). Lack of attacking teeth mind, but the defending was, in general, pretty well organised. You can discount the cracker of a dying minute goal in a friendly against Westwood tbh, in all fairness it would have been 1-0 only for Given having been very uncharacteristically caught sleeping for the 2nd goal. As said, though we didnt get much bite up front the passing was pretty top.

Was watching it behind enemy lines here in Queensland ( :) ) the Aussie pundits/ commentators were slating the Irish :confused: Ive seen alot worse performances against worse teams. Having seen this Id put the Aussies as serious contenders for at least the semis next year.

Lol is somebody looking for sponsorship to stay in Australia? Cause that's the only reason I can think of for the above statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

shane86 wrote: »
    You can discount the cracker of a dying minute goal in a friendly against Westwood tbh, in all fairness it would have been 1-0 only for Given having been very uncharacteristically caught sleeping for the 2nd goal.

What? Williams smashed his shot with ridiculous power at Given which knocked him over as he parried it and then it fell right for Cahill, no keeper in the world could have done any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Very disappointing abject display. I feel for the fans who paid to watch it.

I am extremely worried now. The midfield was exposed for the umpteenth time since Trap took over. I don't care how much he wants defensive or workmanlike players - if Andy Reid was in there keeping possession and spraying the ball usefully we would be under much less pressure. Also worth mentioning the stats show Reid is nowhere near as lazy as some would belief.

Honestly, can having him in the middle be any more 'lazy' than watching two from Gibson/Andrews/Whelan chase shadows for 90 minutes and be too afraid to get in the box (under orders or not)?

Sorry for not mentioning Ireland but its a damn shame to forget the player who would actually play for his country if selected.

The scareist game, for me in anycase, of the group is on the horizon. The heat combined with how leggy the Cypriots are will mean a torrid time for the Irish midfield as it is. Somebody quote me and then hopefully we can all slag my pessimissm after a win but I am seriously worried Cyprus have the legs to expose our team in ways Bulgaria and even Italy did not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

PCros wrote: »
    What? Williams smashed his shot with ridiculous power at Given which knocked him over as he parried it and then it fell right for Cahill, no keeper in the world could have done any different.
    Most keepers wouldn't have managed the first save tbh. Dunno where we'd be without Given.

noodler wrote: »

I am extremely worried now. The midfield was exposed for the umpteenth time since Trap took over. I don't care how much he wants defensive or workmanlike players - if Andy Reid was in there keeping possession and spraying the ball usefully we would be under much less pressure. Also worth mentioning the stats show Reid is nowhere near as lazy as some would belief.

Honestly, can having him in the middle be any more 'lazy' than watching two from Gibson/Andrews/Whelan chase shadows for 90 minutes and be too afraid to get in the box (under orders or not)?

Sorry for not mentioning Ireland but its a damn shame to forget the player who would actually play for his country if selected.

The scareist game, for me in anycase, of the group is on the horizon. The heat combined with how leggy the Cypriots are will mean a torrid time for the Irish midfield as it is. Somebody quote me and then hopefully we can all slag my pessimissm after a win but I am seriously worried Cyprus have the legs to expose our team in ways Bulgaria and even Italy did not.
    Well we have now have two more options in Stephen Ward (Wolves) and Keith Fahey (Birmingham) in midfield. It will be interesting to see how they adapt to the rigors of the Premiership having plied their trades in the championship and before that the League of Ireland.

Well we have now have two more options in Stephen Ward (Wolves) and Keith Fahey (Birmingham) in midfield. It will be interesting to see how they adapt to the rigors of the Premiership having plied their trades in the championship and before that the League of Ireland.

And I hope they will be good prospects in the future but or best passer of a football is in his prime now and we aren't even putting him in the sqaud. We don't even have the option of bringing off the bench when we need a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

terrible display from Ireland

• Advertisement

And I hope they will be good prospects in the future but or best passer of a football is in his prime now and we aren't even putting him in the sqaud. We don't even have the option of bringing off the bench when we need a goal.
    Well there is no point going there. Trap doesn't want him and then there is the whole Stephen Ireland thing which is also out of our hands. I thought last night would have been a good chance to try out Fahey and Ward.
    They are relatively inexperienced but they have both played in the championship. Fahey a very prospect as is Ward.

Well there is no point going there. Trap doesn't want him and then there is the whole Stephen Ireland thing which is also out of our hands. I thought last night would have been a good chance to try out Fahey and Ward.
    They are relatively inexperienced but they have both played in the championship. Fahey a very prospect as is Ward.

Well we keep going on about Ireland - its sickening we pine for one creative player to come back when another is being snubbed for ridiculous reasons.

Anyway, I think it would be worse to stop speaking out about something you deem wrong just because it happens regularly.

Well we keep going on about Ireland - its sickening we pine for one creative player to come back when another is being snubbed for ridiculous reasons.

Anyway, I think it would be worse to stop speaking out about something you deem wrong just because it happens regularly.
    Agreed but how many times do we have to ask Stephen Ireland is he coming back. I'm of the opinion that we are a poorer team without him but at this stage you have to work with what you have.
    As for Andy Reid, he got off on the wrong foot with Trap (the whole incident with breaking curfew on away match) and I think Trap has never forgiven him for showing him up like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Dave! wrote: »
    Most keepers wouldn't have managed the first save tbh. Dunno where we'd be without Given.

Fact

Dave! wrote: »
    In a whole lot of trouble. Given's worth to us immeasurable. But he is not going to be around for ever.

• Advertisement

Agreed but how many times do we have to ask Stephen Ireland is he coming back. I'm of the opinion that we are a poorer team without him but at this stage you have to work with what you have.
    As for Andy Reid, he got off on the wrong foot with Trap (the whole incident with breaking curfew on away match) and I think Trap has never forgiven him for showing him up like that.

Thats the ridiculous reason for leaving him out.
    In a whole lot of trouble. Given's worth to us immeasurable. But he is not going to be around for ever.

What? He won't? Who told you this?

Thats the ridiculous reason for leaving him out.

What? He won't? Who told you this?
    Yes managers are a funny lot. Remember Rafa with Keane. It just never took off. They see things completely differently to the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You gotta lol at Trap smirking at the end. :D:(:(

On another note, it's a big shame that Steven Reid is made of glass, we need him back badly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I was one of those fans - last minute decision to go as I just though it would be another sluggish Irish performance and sadly that was the fact. No drive to get in position and when we had the ball there was no creativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I think the problem having an Italian as a manager is their stubborness. I don't think we'll ever see Stephen Ireland back in a green shirt again as I don't think he'll accept him back. Having Liam Brady as a mediator is like John Gormley in charge of the country. He lacks balls and back bone (like his FAI superiors) and I'm beggining to think he lacks knowledege of what other players he has at his disposal.

Stephen Ireland is head and shoulders above any skill that was on offer last night. Andy Reid should at least be given a chance too. Clinton Morrison is another.

Irish International football is already a joke and slipping further and further back into the doldrums.

Back back Kerr I say. After all, he brought Roy back with his smooth, husky talking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Terrible performance but I really amn't too bothered. Trap played a long ball game in the 1st half and a lot of the 2nd for some odd reason and it just didn't work. I'm glad it didn't work. I don't us winning by playing football like that and I'm just a bit bewildered as to why he tried it. Trap talked about this game being about physical conditions but still no reason to ask your defenders to skip the midfield time and time again.
    He has been playing on the right for Celtic so far this year, and is obviously right footed player. So obvious in fact that every right-back he meets when he plays on the left works out after 15 minutes that there isn't a cat in hells chance of him going down the touchline, and sends him into the middle of the park and eliminates danger of a decent cross.
    But you're wanting our wingers on their good side so they can get crosses in. In this day and age it should be the full backs job to put the crosses in. You don't need to beat a player to put a cross in. Duff and McGeady should be playing mainly on the sides they were last night and with the freedom to drift in, play passes to strikers, link up with midfield, take shots on goal. The wide players weren't the problem last night for sure.

I don't think player ratings are needed for last night. The tactics were dreadful.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Terrible performance but I really amn't too bothered. Trap played a long ball game in the 1st half and a lot of the 2nd for some odd reason and it just didn't work. I'm glad it didn't work. I don't us winning by playing football like that and I'm just a bit bewildered as to why he tried it. Trap talked about this game being about physical conditions but still no reason to ask your defenders to skip the midfield time and time again.

But you're wanting our wingers on their good side so they can get crosses in. In this day and age it should be the full backs job to put the crosses in. You don't need to beat a player to put a cross in. Duff and McGeady should be playing mainly on the sides they were last night and with the freedom to drift in, play passes to strikers, link up with midfield, take shots on goal. The wide players weren't the problem last night for sure.

I don't think player ratings are needed for last night. The tactics were dreadful.
    Yes think we need to give a bit of credit to Australia. A lot of the so called weaker nations are catching up. Look at USA in the Confederations Cup this summer. The gap is closing now.
    But I think we are capable of topping our group. Think the Italians are susceptible to the counter attack. But have we the game or the players to expose them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

When is the next WC qualie?

and we play italy in landsdowne correct ?

chezzer wrote: »
    When is the next WC qualie?

and we play italy in landsdowne correct ?

Next one is Cyprus away. Arguably the toughest game in the group IMO.

Next one is Cyprus away. Arguably the toughest game in the group IMO.
    I think rebuilding of Lansdowne Road is on course at the moment but it changes day by the day. So much instability at the moment that you can't take too much for granted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement