Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. Australia 12/08/09 Kick off 7:45pm - Sky Sports 2

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its not going to be ready for September though is it? Surely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

noodler wrote: »
    Its not going to be ready for September though is it? Surely not.
    No next game in Croke Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Maybe we could actually drum up some atmosphere if top spot was on the line against the Italians. Of course, this involves us beating Cyprus and Italy dropping points against Bulgaria.

A whole lot of ifs and buts to be fair.

noodler wrote: »
    Maybe we could actually drum up some atmosphere if top spot was on the line against the Italians. Of course, this involves us beating Cyprus and Italy dropping points against Bulgaria.

A whole lot of ifs and buts to be fair.
    End all and be all for me is beating Italy at home. I think its not beyond us by what i have seen of Italians in last two years. Saw them in Confederations Cup and they are very vulnerable when caught on the break.
    We are possibly looking at second spot to be realistic but its who we draw in the play offs . We haven't had a great record in play off games so I think topping group is what we need to be focusing on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Yes think we need to give a bit of credit to Australia. A lot of the so called weaker nations are catching up. Look at USA in the Confederations Cup this summer.
    Aussies aren't even in the so-called weaker nations list. They overtook us about 4 years ago. Ditto the US.

grenache wrote: »
    Aussies aren't even in the so-called weaker nations list. They overtook us about 4 years ago. Ditto the US.
    Yes but they are still perceived as an emerging nation in terms of soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Well someone has to say this - whilst we look more organised defensively under Trap we are in a good position in our qualifying group in spite of our central midfield. I hope the media put huge pressure on his CM selections. I also hope he goes to more games, he seems totally oblivious to our other potential options. Chris McCann, Keith Fahey, Lee Carsley, James McCarthy, Owen Garvan, Stephen Quinn etc. Wish he had tried to blood a few instead of including Liam bloody Miller in the panel. I would sell my soul to get Stephen Ireland to return and a fit Steven Reid. Hopefully Andy Reid's brilliant summer weight loss could tempt Trap to let him back in the fold too and differences are put aside for the greater good.

I feel that although we could qualify, we could be doing so much better - Bulgaria were there for the taking and if we had a CM that could keep the ball we'd have gotten 6 pts out of 6. I'm pleased we're in contention but we could be out of sight. Also, Kevin Kilbane MUST be dropped, he is an accident waiting to happen.

If Whelan and Andrews play in Nicosia we'll be probably be watching through our fingers for the last hour of the game probably holding onto a slender 1-0 lead because our central midfied isn't putting the opposition under pressure or closing down and persistantly squandering possession. Cyprus were hockeyed last night (a positive sign) but are a totally different proposition in Nicosia.

Well someone has to say this - whilst we look more organised defensively under Trap we are in a good position in our qualifying group in spite of our central midfield. I hope the media put huge pressure on his CM selections. I also hope he goes to more games, he seems totally oblivious to our other potential options. Chris McCann, Keith Fahey, Lee Carsley, James McCarthy, Owen Garvan, Stephen Quinn etc. Wish he had tried to blood a few instead of including Liam bloody Miller in the panel. I would sell my soul to get Stephen Ireland to return and a fit Steven Reid. Hopefully Andy Reid's brilliant summer weight loss could tempt Trap to let him back in the fold too and differences are put aside for the greater good.

I feel that although we could qualify, we could be doing so much better - Bulgaria were there for the taking and if we had a CM that could keep the ball we'd have gotten 6 pts out of 6. I'm pleased we're in contention but we could be out of sight. Also, Kevin Kilbane MUST be dropped, he is an accident waiting to happen.

If Whelan and Andrews play in Nicosia we'll be probably be watching through our fingers for the last hour of the game probably holding onto a slender 1-0 lead because our central midfied isn't putting the opposition under pressure or closing down and persistantly squandering possession. Cyprus were hockeyed last night (a positive sign) but are a totally different proposition in Nicosia.

+1 To nearly all the above. I am one of Kilbane's greatest defenders but he has looked dodgey in recent games (although I am still not convinced there are stronger options). We will NOT be able to hold out in Nicosia if we play our usual game of let them have the ball. Cyprus are not as technically proficient as Italy or Bulgaria but they are a younger, faster team and this is where we would be exposed. Bulgaria lack motivation at times whilst Italy are happy to try and play through you slowly.

Also completely agree that we are in this position in spite of rather than because of our centre midfielders. Bulgaria really should have been beaten twice and a little bit more creativity VS Italy would have been nice when we played nearly the entire game with an extra man.

A serious concern of mine last night was the way defenders and midfielders alike acted just before Cahill's first goal. They seemed to have an attitude of "fine, shoot from there, Shay will save it".
    Yes but they are still perceived as an emerging nation in terms of soccer.

Not compared to us they aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I hope the media put huge pressure on his CM selections. I also hope he goes to more games, he seems totally oblivious to our other potential options. Chris McCann, Keith Fahey, Lee Carsley, James McCarthy, Owen Garvan, Stephen Quinn etc. Wish he had tried to blood a few instead of including Liam bloody Miller in the panel. I would sell my soul to get Stephen Ireland to return and a fit Steven Reid.
    Steven Reid is back playing for Blackburn and may well be in the squad for the Cyprus game, although he may not be fully fit.
    I feel that although we could qualify, we could be doing so much better - Bulgaria were there for the taking and if we had a CM that could keep the ball we'd have gotten 6 pts out of 6. I'm pleased we're in contention but we could be out of sight.
    Maybe, but it’s still in our hands – if we win our remaining three games (Cyprus (A), Italy (H), Montenegro (H)), then the Italians would have to win all of their remaining games (bar the game against us) to top the group, which is by no means a certainty (Georgia (A), Bulgaria (H), Cyprus (H)). Cyprus is not an easy place to go, but realistically, if you’re looking to qualify for major championships, they’re the sort of games you have to win.
    Also, Kevin Kilbane MUST be dropped, he is an accident waiting to happen.
    Unfortunately there’s very little cover for him. Maybe if Finnan regains his fitness, then O’Shea may be moved to left-full with St. Ledger retained at centre-half.
    If Whelan and Andrews play in Nicosia we'll be probably be watching through our fingers for the last hour of the game probably holding onto a slender 1-0 lead because our central midfied isn't putting the opposition under pressure or closing down and persistantly squandering possession.
    To be fair to Andrews, he does seem to be improving a little each time I see him. Gibson on the other hand seems like a lost cause at the moment – I think there’s possibly too much expected of him.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Unfortunately there’s very little cover for him. Maybe if Finnan regains his fitness, then O’Shea may be moved to left-full with St. Ledger retained at centre-half.

Foley/Kelly - Dunne - St Ledger - O'Shea
    O'Shea - Dunne - St Ledger - Delaney
    Foley/Kelly - Dunne - O'Shea - Nolan
    Foley - Dunne - O'Shea - Kelly (he has played left back too)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

On the Kilbane issue - he really is showing his age and agree not many alternatives out there. I thought Eddie Nolan did ok when he came on and likes getting forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Would love to know what Liam Brady's job is :cool: if he was sat in the RTE studios watching the performances of Whelan/Andrews/Gibson he's be tearing them to shreds!

has he no influence whatsoever in this set up???

I don't agree with Eamon Dunphy a lot of the time but his article in the Star today is spot on. Pity he wasn't in the RTE studio yesterday instead of Kenny Cunningham/Ronnie Whelan. Trap really is "a poor man's Jack" - at least Big Jack's central midfielders used to put the opposition under pressure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

Was at the game last night ..typical pre-season friendly..nothng at stake so rather lame performances all round ..all the football was played by the Aussies ..great build up for their first goal ..could see it coming !!!

and had a birds eye view of Kilbanes performance in the first half..

He spent most of the time complaining and gesturing to the lineman about holding and fouls..he was penalised about five times for fouls in the space of five minutes and never looked like getting into the game properly...kept losing the ball too easily imo
    never was a full back ???

Still nobody in midfield was prepared to put their foot on the ball and attack through the middle ...Whelan and Gibson were both sitting back and long balls to Kevin Doyle werent working ...no plan B

John O'Shea was getting into very good positions but nobody gave him the ball

On the plus side McGeady looked good in spells ..also Stephen Hunt did well in 2nd Half..

Next MATCH : vs South Africa Sept 8th..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

We're against South Africa in our next friendly? Could get our pants pulled down there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

PCros wrote: »
    What? Williams smashed his shot with ridiculous power at Given which knocked him over as he parried it and then it fell right for Cahill, no keeper in the world could have done any different.

Sorry, I meant the first shot so (it was 4:45am here ffs :) ). No, 2nd was decent, but the first, couldnt believe Given failed to dive for it.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol is somebody looking for sponsorship to stay in Australia? Cause that's the only reason I can think of for the above statements.

meh, thought the Aussies were a class act mysel, better passing and organisation than most European sides at the moment. In a WC theyd rip (in their current state) the likes of Italy and France to shreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

shane86 wrote: »
    meh, thought the Aussies were a class act mysel, better passing and organisation than most European sides at the moment. In a WC theyd rip (in their current state) the likes of Italy and France to shreds.

They are good, but lets not go that far.

kyp_durron wrote: »
    They are good, but lets not go that far.

Against a French side managed by a clown who were shocking in Euro 2008, who are far adrift in their group and who only managed to beat the Faroes a whopping 1-0 the other night? (gwan Brian, yil get a point before the group is over :) )

Against a past it Italian side who have put in several below par performances by their standard in these qualifiers and who stumbled their way through Euro 08?

I fancy the Aussies 100% over some of the European past its trading off their glory days. On paper they have generally poorer players playing for worse teams than the squads of Italy, France and even ourselves, yet as a group they are organised and efficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

I don't agree with Eamon Dunphy a lot of the time but his article in the Star today is spot on. Pity he wasn't in the RTE studio yesterday instead of Kenny Cunningham/Ronnie Whelan. Trap really is "a poor man's Jack" - at least Big Jack's central midfielders used to put the opposition under pressure!

Trap is one of the most successfull managers of all time. Hes in a tough situation with S. Reid out for the past year and S. Ireland unwilling to play. You could make a case for A. Reid maybe. You could, and he did make a case against him. He can drop an inch perfect 40 yard pass to you but look how overweight he has been for the past few seasons. How in gods name can a professional footballer turn up carrying that and get away with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

romah wrote: »
    ...Whelan and Gibson were both sitting back and long balls to Kevin Doyle werent working ...no plan B

+1. Thats so true, it only worked when Folan came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

PCros wrote: »
    +1. Thats so true, it only worked when Folan came on.
    You are joking aren't you.
    I had a great seat and watched forlan.
    He is as close to being an international footballer as I am.
    About the only good think you could say about him is that he is quite tall.
    he has the touch of a concrete block.

A Mcgeedy looked good, some nice touches and willing to track back.
    DD had a few flashes, looked to be a bit over the hill.
    Robbie needs to stop the whinging and gestering at the ref and everyone else and concentrate on the dam ball and geting into positions to score.
    centre of midfield - we are in trouble here quite frankly none of them looked to be up to it and were poor.
    S Hunt was lively when he came on and did cause a few problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

jem wrote: »
    He is as close to being an international footballer as I am. About the only good think you could say about him is that he is quite tall.

I'm talking about long balls up to the front men, nothing about Folan being better than Doyle.

jem wrote: »
    I had a great seat and watched forlan.
    He is as close to being an international footballer as I am.

For your information Forlan is doing surprisingly well in La Liga these days.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

shane86 wrote: »
    For your information Forlan is doing surprisingly well in La Liga these days.

:pac:

It's true we have a good un in Caleb Forlan alright. I see he's had a bit of an image change since his time at United :D

In all seriousness though, he scored a grand total of one PL goals last year, and that was on the first day! He hasnt been too shabby for us mind but I still say C Morrisson is a more reliable option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Folan is a useful option to have off the bench. I thought he did fairly well yesterday as a lone striker v Chelsea. Won most balls up to him in the air v Terry, but needed a strike partner to feed off him.

On to another position completely..with Finnan injured again sadly, why not recall Steven Carr for Cyprus game??
    He played well today v Utd, and including him would free up O'Shea to go left back and get Kilbane out of there.

If Finnan gets fit in time i'd much rather see a back 4 of Carr-Dunne-O'Shea-Finnan

Kilbane is a liability these days sadly, as i think he has been a genuine solid player for us over the past 10 years...but who ever reckoned he could do left back?? :confused:
    Even Hull don't include him on bench now.

Trap is a bit crazy, and i can be sure he won't get Carr back & will keep playing Kilbane at LB. While also including Miller in squad ahead of Andy Reid & even Fahey who played very well v Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

Stevecw wrote: »
    On to another position completely..with Finnan injured again sadly, why not recall Steven Carr for Cyprus game??
    He played well today v Utd, and including him would free up O'Shea to go left back and get Kilbane out of there.

No No No! Carr is a ticking time-bomb for Birmingham. He was a good player about 5 years ago but now he doesn't have the same pace to make up for his lack of positional awareness and all the mistakes he makes every game. He is a complete liability anywhere near the box.

You actually watch the United game? Because he should have been sent off for taking out Berbatov as the last defender (trying to make up for having been out of position as usual).

That would be a major backward step. Kevin Foley is far better than him both in defence and attack.

Advertisement