Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French/English language conversation classes/swop

• 30-07-2009 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi
    Does anyone know if there are French/English conversation classes/swop in Waterford?
    Would like to hightail it out of this country and live in Europe - have good reading French but need a LOT of practice in the speaking/listening end.
    If anyone has suggestions about websites etc that would be good for this too is much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

I'm not so sure French would be the most useful language to learn though - it limits you to France & Belgium (boring).

Spanish would allow you access to the main tourist hotspot of Europe not to mention being in use in south, central and north America.

German would be the most widely spoken language in Europe and can be very useful to communicate in Eastern Europe (where English fails) - in addition to Germany, Austria and Switzerland of course.

Have a look at http://www.busuu.com/ for a good website to learn languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭AngelinaJolie

I have about six years worth of French (studied it in school and for one year of college) so I figure it would be easier to get a degree of fluency in that language rather than starting from scratch with another. Plus, I've just been to Belgium, and compared to Ireland, it's paradise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You're going about it the right way - Conversational groups or classes are the best way to learn a language as it's in an immersion environment. I learned the Irish language this way over the course of 2 or 3 years.

No classes off the top of my head that I can think of, but you seem to have a good base - and France is a nice country, albeit an expensive one.

Advertisement