Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity - Rent Allowance Entitlements

Options
  • 30-07-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi all,

im just looking for some advice if anyone can help me, im 5 and a half months pregnant and living at home with my mam i will have to move out before the baby is born, and i am currently working full time but for very little wages and would not be able to pay full rent, can anyone tell me if im entitled to rent allowance even when working full time? and how much?

any advice is mush appreciated...:):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Unlikely.

Just find somewhere you can afford.

I'm guessing when the baby comes that you'll be better off on the dole (Single parent allowance, rent allowance, medical cards). Which is.... But I guess it does give you more time to be a mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 newtennant

i think your right a single mother trying to work gets nothing.. but someone doing nothing is entitled to all sorts the system is a joke...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Maybe try the State Benefits forum. (Biz > Personal > State Benefits)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

newtennant wrote: »
    i think your right a single mother trying to work gets nothing.. but someone doing nothing is entitled to all sorts the system is a joke...:mad:

This is pretty much the case. If you can at all manage to continue working full time do it. Once you get stuck in the poverty trap its very hard to get out. If your working full time though, you should qualify for FIS on top of your one parent family payment and that might be a help. The citizens advice place are very helpful rather than asking the DSFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

When you are on maternity leave, you are entitled to a maternity allowance. I imagine rent allowance is payable with this.

Note that most people moving out of home won't get rent allowance. However, if you are moving out because your existing accommodation is unsuitable, you may be entitled to something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If your income is really low you might meet criteria.

Talk to the local cwo.
    Maybe get a place with the dad to keep costs down,if it is possible.

Advertisement