Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations in weighing scales (yes, seriously.)

Options
  • 30-07-2009 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, it's a bit embarassing to ask this sort of a question in what mightn't even be the right forum anyway, but here goes.

I need some sort of weigh scales, for food of course. I just can't seem to find small electronic ones anywhere! Everywhere I look, argos, main street shops or the internet seem to have big dinner-plate-sized, stylish, cooking scales.

I'm using the scales to know exactly how much is in a portion of something I eat. So I don't need a range greater than a kilo, if that helps. A bit of accuracy would be nice. I don't want something that'll give a weight of 30 grams +/- 5 grams.

Most importantly, I need something small. I have to carry it around in a typical rucksack (among books, clothes, phone chargers etc.) Battery-powered would be very good, but mains would do.

I'm looking into this because of diabetic related stuff, not for dietary reasons strictly speaking.

Any ideas or opinions are welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

it's weird, I bought mine @Argos in Jervis st, it is very small and battery powered, I use it to weight the flour (usually 250-500grams).

It is a pink scale, I don't know if it helps :-)

Otherwise you could try amazon.co.uk, they deliver to Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Keep an eye on Lidl and Aldi, I picked one up for weighing coffee beans.
    Dealextreme.com also stock small electronic scales but check their max weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You can get scales that will give your the nutritional information of the food you're weighing, Salter make one called the "Nutri-Weigh", but I've only seen them available on-line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

The Weight Watchers scale?

It's expensive but is designed to weigh up portion sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try a head shop, they have pretty fine scales.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hey again!

Thanks for all the suggesions! Hehe I did think of headshops but the scales are a bit on the small side from what I can see.

I gave the pink scale a miss, for social reasons;) and I couldn't see any in the German supermarkets.

Amazon.co.uk was pretty helpful. I eventually decided on the Salter 1440 scale, as it seems to have the best balance of features for the job. I don't care for nutrition info funnily enough. But one company had a delivery charge of £27 on amazon for it!!

I found the same seller on ebay, with the same scale... Same price, and £6 delivery. What's going on there?!

We'll see how it goes!

Advertisement