Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software like Photoshop

Options
  • 30-07-2009 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi,

Today photoshop is widely used for create gaphics or design application but i want to know another tool just like it and more advanced features tool pls if any one know then suggest me ?:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

GIMP is an Open Source (i.e. free) alternative. (www.gimp.org)
    There's a load of pay for alternatives but Photoshop is probably the most advanced.
    There's also Illustrator for Vector graphics. Inkscape being the Open Source alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Gimpshop tries the Photoshop layout for GIMP also. Never tried it however. Couldn't use anything but Photoshop myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

I find this handy if I'm ever working on a machine where I havn't got photoshop installed, it works in your browser and is very similar

http://www.splashup.com/splashup/

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Here is another web based image editor.

http://www.sumopaint.com/web/

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Has anyone used Microsofts 'Expression Design'?

I have no experience with Photoshop or Illustrator, have just used the likes of MSPaint/Paint.net and gimp to a certain degree.

Have tried the Demo of Expression Design and have to say its easy to use,
    Especially easy for Gradients,
    But i'm not sure how it compares to the likes of Photoshop

Anyone used it? cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Manga Studio is becoming very popular among comic book artists and some illustrators. Know a couple of people who swear by it, think they brush options are better then PS and say they're never going back. The basic package is 50 euro. Have tired it but haven't take enough time to really explore it yet.

Dave Gibbon did a demo of inking using manga studio for imagineFX when Watchmen was coming out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 raptor twin

There is only Photoshop there is nothing more advanced than that. Use GIMP if your on a budget (its free), havent used it myself but hearing good things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

God bless wiki indeed.

I like using twistedbrush when Photoshop isn't an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 VelvetKevorkian

ztoical wrote: »
    Manga Studio is becoming very popular among comic book artists and some illustrators. Know a couple of people who swear by it, think they brush options are better then PS and say they're never going back. The basic package is 50 euro. Have tired it but haven't take enough time to really explore it yet.

Dave Gibbon did a demo of inking using manga studio for imagineFX when Watchmen was coming out.

Just got this and really suprised just how good it is!
    No longer so reliant on Photoshop!!!! LOL!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 debby_mahon33

hi,

Today photoshop is widely used for create gaphics or design application but i want to know another tool just like it and more advanced features tool pls if any one know then suggest me ?:confused:

Adobe Fireworks is quite good, but I wouldn't say it's more advanced. Actually it's much simpler, but still allows to do many things, even most sophisticated ;)

P.S. Fireworks was originally Macromedia's, but, as you know, they merged :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 funcycle21

keep em coming, im also looking for a good graphics program, so far these are all good, but none exactly what im looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

I have recently started using Microsoft's Expression Design
    Find it a very handy tool, I still use Gimp the odd time but mainly ExpDesign

You should download a trial and give it a go.
    Not too expensive either if you do decide to buy either;)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭woytek_tzn

Gimp is da best:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

Personally could never get my head around Gimp, but I loves me some Photoshop.

I have yet to try, but heard many a great thing about Livebrush. Another freebie. Said to be great - and the Professional version costs a mere $10

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rorkimaru

I use Gimp exclusively for any raster work but If I'm doing some vector work such as inking a sketch I'll tend to use InkScape.

You don't have all the tools in Gimp that you have in photoshop but Most of the tools you don't have are a combination of other tools you don't have. For instance, one long neglected tool in the Gimp repository is the sponge tool. I would need that quite a bit so instead I use a layer mask on a duplicated and desaturated (or supersaturated) layer and the paintbrush becomes the sponge. You won't find software any more advanced than photoshop and for free the best software by far is the Gimp.

there are other softwares that try to emulate the texture of painting like painter and so on but the free versions of these are lacking to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dromineer

I use Photoshop daily as it is one of the main tools for my job.. But Gimp has great features. I used to use it before I went onto PS, but if you require an alternative.. Gimp is surely your best bet. My partner uses a mac, and has Pixelmator installed, but Pixelmator is built for the MAC OS, and frankly it is simpler to use, but also works like a charm

Advertisement