Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mortgage top-up- solicitor needed?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

We got a top-up mortgage from bank and went to solicitor re: witnessing signatues on forms. The solicitor has now charged us for processing the mortgage however all we wanted was the signature witness. The bank said no solicitor was needed for the top up but we were at the office for another matter so went ahead with getting soclitor to sign papers.
    Who is right and what can we do? We only want to pay the fees for a signature witness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

A solicitor only operates on the instructions of his client. What EXACTLY did you ask him to do? Has he given you an itemised invoice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Same happened to me. Just had to get solicitor to sign documents, or so i was told and paid the (€20 i think) to sign the documents on the day.

Almost a year later the bill (think it was €250) arrived for paper work involved. Annoyed as i wasint expecting the bill. Solicitor said it was standard procedure :confused: I shut up, and tipped up. No one informed me of the fees previous to signing. I guess i should have enquired first and looked into it more before i paid.

Advertisement