Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 broadband

Options
  • 30-07-2009 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

wondering where my dad stands. he is about 6 months into a 12 month contact with 3 mobile broadband but the service is hopeless in his area. can he just cancel the dd or will they come after him for the remaining 6 months.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

He can't just cancel, or they can (and will) pursue him for breech of contract. If he persists in complaining to them, over a period of time, he can argue that Three have broken the contract, by not being able to provide the service paid for. It will take time, but keep records of everything, put it all in writing if possible, and then if he does get to a stage where they agree to cancel the service, he can look for a rebate on the money he has already paid for the modem and the months of no service.

Small claims court proceedings may be required to get them to pay up.

More info in this (very big) thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Worst thing he can do is cancel his DD, Follow jor els advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DavidCarroll

ok thanks. sounds like this is going to a real pain in the arse though. writing letters etc. there should be away a consumer law to protect people from big companies that sell things that dont work. as bad as eircom are they told my dad straightup that they did not have broadband in his area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ok thanks. sounds like this is going to a real pain in the arse though. writing letters etc. there should be away a consumer law to protect people from big companies that sell things that dont work. as bad as eircom are they told my dad straightup that they did not have broadband in his area.

There is, but you can't just say it doesn't work and then walk away. You have to prove it, and give them the opportunity to rectify the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

I had this issue myself last year, send them a registered letter quoting sale of goods and supply of services act, say its not working and quote some dates that he logged calls with customer services with it (if he hasnt done so yet, hed want to make about 4 calls to them) tell them its not working and your not paying and demand an addres to return the modem to. address the letter to their head office, i think its near nassau st.

make sure you register the letter, and that he does at least ring tech support a few times first so they do at least have a chance to fix it (which more then likely they wont be able to do)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

jor el wrote: »
    There is, but you can't just say it doesn't work and then walk away. You have to prove it, and give them the opportunity to rectify the situation.

Exactly!!!

You must ring their tech support department because if you don't they can quite rightly say "oh but we didn't know that your BB wasn't working"

When you ring them make sure that the tech support guy logs each call because once the problem is solved the billing department will refund you for the time you were without service but their credit will be for the period of time the tech support guy you dealt with says the problem went on for and not how long you think the problem went on for...sometimes though your problem has to be ongoing for a minimum of a week for credit to be due...the only way you can get out of the contract is if the tech support guy puts it in his notes that the problem is unsolvable...and unless this happens canceling the ddebit would be a big mystake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DavidCarroll

sounds like good advice thanks

Advertisement