Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I HATE the fookin Races.

Options
  • 30-07-2009 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Am I alone in dispising the Galway Race week? I do my best every year to be gone for this week but I could not this year. Just tried to drive into town from Oranmore. I spent over an hour sitting in traffic and managed to get as far as Ballybrit and Renmores (tried coast road and dual carriage way) out skirts before turning back. Its impossible to travel all of 5 miles! At night the pubs are full of pretentious twats bragging about how much they won and how they avoid traffic by flying in a helicopter. You cannot go out for a meal in peace (if you are lucky enough to get a table). You cannot go to the shops. You cannot get into Eyre square. You cannot walk down shop street for crowds and vomit. You cannot book a room in a hotel (if you can afford the inflated price). You cannot commute or do the most basic things in any sort of normal way if you are unlucky enough to live in the city. You have arses asking you "did you go racing yet" and getting looked at like you are some sort of cave dwelling troglodyte because you have not been there every night and backed 75 winners.

Balls to the lot of it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

OH GET OVER IT! Its only once a year boo woo wah wah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm west of the river so thankfully I can avoid the worst of it. Imagine it must be a real pain in the arse for anyone living anywhere near Ballybrit, not to mention anyone living in the middle of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I think it's fookin' fantastic.

I work near the racecourse, most folk are off work so feck all traffic in the morning.
    On the way home, same story, everyone is at the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm never in Galway for it, good time to holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm not a huge fan either but it is just a week and at least its something different. Even if different is a bunch of Dublin scum bags dressed up and walking around like they own the place...you can put a tie on a pig.....

Anyone notice the crowd going today is very very very young compared to Ladies day in the last few years..They say this is RAG week for adults..tonight might just be a regular RAG week night by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

Wompa1 - there is a huge amount of young lads (17ish) and kitted out to go to the races. Suits, shoes, ties, gelled back hair (with highlights and mullety bit at the end) it was weird. with any luck they will all by tucked up in bed/drink coma by 8-9pm when all the real fun in quay street starts.

i dont go racing but i do love the atmosphere around town. it's a big party with feck all hassel (never seen any). traffic is heavy - but i'm with in walking distance of work and town so i get some fresh air for that week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

I have agree the amount of college people 17 to 21 heading up from limerick is mad the last 2 years,before when you heard galway races you would have thought adults,now its like rag week for bored students during the summer,guess J1's must be down they head there,even in Ballybunion Kerry monday madness is like a messy student night now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Who's giving out about the helicopters?

I work just up the road from the racecourse, and the skies are empty compared to previous years.
    I've only seen 3 in total so far this week. including 1 at about 9pm when I was taking the dog for a walk yesterday - not sure that could be counted as part of the racing fraternity.

Get over it, its a pain in the arse if you live out that side of town, but you choose to live there so it comes with the territory.

Take the bus for the bus lane.

Can't say I have noticed the races much other than friends coming back to town for a couple of nights.

Who's giving out about the helicopters?

I work just up the road from the racecourse, and the skies are empty compared to previous years.
    I've only seen 3 in total so far this week. including 1 at about 9pm when I was taking the dog for a walk yesterday - not sure that could be counted as part of the racing fraternity.

Get over it, its a pain in the arse if you live out that side of town, but you choose to live there so it comes with the territory.

I live close to the city and had to walk to work this evening but meh...your right about the helicopters. I'm working right by the race track too and its's nothing compared to 2 years ago or before then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I've seen at least half a dozen choppers outside me window since this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You cannot book a room in a hotel (if you can afford the inflated price).
    Why would a local want to? Are all these things you'd do on a daily basis or are you just upset you can't do them even though you wouldn't normally do them anyway?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Don't mind at all, I quite enjoy seeing all the people wandering around our little city. Great to see the races are attracting young blood as well as old, older.

I can't afford to go to the races myself really, it's a luxury i'm not willing to splash out on, but I do like that it's happening regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Am I alone in dispising the Galway Race week? I do my best every year to be gone for this week but I could not this year. Just tried to drive into town from Oranmore. I spent over an hour sitting in traffic and managed to get as far as Ballybrit and Renmores (tried coast road and dual carriage way) out skirts before turning back. Its impossible to travel all of 5 miles! At night the pubs are full of pretentious twats bragging about how much they won and how they avoid traffic by flying in a helicopter. You cannot go out for a meal in peace (if you are lucky enough to get a table). You cannot go to the shops. You cannot get into Eyre square. You cannot walk down shop street for crowds and vomit. You cannot book a room in a hotel (if you can afford the inflated price). You cannot commute or do the most basic things in any sort of normal way if you are unlucky enough to live in the city. You have arses asking you "did you go racing yet" and getting looked at like you are some sort of cave dwelling troglodyte because you have not been there every night and backed 75 winners.

Balls to the lot of it!

So DID you go racing yet, sounds like you're missing out :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

Never liked race week and in fact I think a lot of natives don't like it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

hoody wrote: »
    So DID you go racing yet, sounds like you're missing out :pac:

;)

ScumLord wrote: »
    Why would a local want to?

Was trying to book a room for friends in an emergency situation.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Are all these things you'd do on a daily basis or are you just upset you can't do them even though you wouldn't normally do them anyway?

Meh, some on a daily basis yes others obviously not, but I'm venting too. Really needed to get into town this morning but could not. P!ssed off with that among other things listed above.

And boll0x to the excuse its only for a week. So what if its only for a week? Its still a royal pain in my a$$ regardless of it being just for an hour, day, week, month or year.

Let me say again, Balls to the lot of it!

I remember my granny talking about watching cartloads of cabbages going to the racecourse when she was young.

It will be around for a good while yet so you can accept it, embrace it or avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I think it's fookin' fantastic.

I work near the racecourse, most folk are off work so feck all traffic in the morning.
    On the way home, same story, everyone is at the races.

Yup, i have to agree. Work behind the racecource and it's the easiest week of the year to get to and from work.

Kazooie wrote: »
    Yup, i have to agree. Work behind the racecource and it's the easiest week of the year to get to and from work.

Working evenings this week so it's a bit of a pain for me but meh...one thing though I'd say is that people working in shops and places in town seem very grumpy this week.

Also I had a few things to do this week that I couldn't because places I needed or people I was dealing with were closed or off. But I don't care too much...just trying to say that it does have some affect on natives daily business. On the upside the revenue office seemed to be open regular hours this year...sign of the times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Balls to the lot of it!

Some like it some hate it, that's always been the case.

You tried to drive into town on the well know annual busiest day of the year and right around the time of day too that people start arriving?Sorry but LOL.
    There are some bell ends around alright but they're in the minority.An even smaller minority is the people that actually win at the races, i've yet to hear anyone bragging pub or outside.Likewise the helicopter crowd will have either flow home or back to the hotels once again not bragging in pubs.
    Never had a problem getting a meal and that would also include arriving in town on the Thursday evening, you may not have your preference but that's to be expected.
    Where you think you can't go to the shops or the square from i don't know because that's bull.
    You can walk down Shop St no problem but Quay St would be difficult, as for the vomit that's more crap your ranting.
    Lived off the square and commuted to Ballybane for work for 3 years and never had any issues so once again your talking ****e saying you can't do the basic things.
    Randomers are coming up out of the blue and asking you if you've gone racing?
    In all fairness i've never read such a generalized rant in all my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Anyone notice the crowd going today is very very very young compared to Ladies day in the last few years..

Was in town earlier, couldn't believe how young the crowd was, don't think iv'e aged that much since last year?:confused:

padi89 wrote: »
    Was in town earlier, couldn't believe how young the crowd was, don't think iv'e aged that much since last year?:confused:

It's not just us either, my boss said the same thing. It's like their going to their confirmations or something...weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

You see the summer is boring for students 3 months off so it has become a session the last 2 years with the younger crowd,no part time jobs to go to,go out on the cheap and add to that the less numbers going to j1 and abroad for holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Did anyone else see the RTE report and get annoyed by the girl chewing and chewing and chewing in the background?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rightso

Gadfly wrote: »
    Never liked race week and in fact I think a lot of natives don't like it either.

True, same way a lot of us don't give a toss about a few boats too

From what I gather the number's attending ARE down this year. My guess is the people who are there for the right reasons are enjoying the days with less phonies to tolerate

rightso wrote: »
    True, same way a lot of us don't give a toss about a few boats too

From what I gather the number's attending ARE down this year. My guess is the people who are there for the right reasons are enjoying the days with less phonies to tolerate

Or the phonies are the only ones willing to pony up the cash to go for the week and it's more polluted with those types than any other year. My guess would be that the weekend will bring in a bigger crowd than it usually does because people that would gamble for the week will lessen it to a few days and do it on day when they don't give up valuable holiday time.

Plus the builders are on holidays but how many of them are there this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭sam69

Have to say I'm not a huge fan of the race crowd, and that's putting it mildly.
    Ladies day, don't much look like ladies when they're crawling around on their hands and kness at 3.A.M. with half a kebab hanging out of their handbag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 cem

Did anyone else see the RTE report and get annoyed by the girl chewing and chewing and chewing in the background?

Was that chewing gum? I thought she was chewing the cud!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Getting to work has been extra fast every day this week. But tetting a bus home tonight was a pain: got to the stop on Parkmore at 5:10, waited forever-and-then-some for a bus to make it through the traffic (but the sunshine was nice), finally got home (inner city) around 6:30. And that's with a very fast trip between the Western Motors roundabout and town, too.

We've had to move into the spare bedroom (without any windows - usually kept for visitors) 'cos the main one is too noisy.

But I'm very happy with the boost that the races has brought to the temporary employment market. This, and knowing that people are spending with the hospitality businesses, makes up for it IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Stupid cow, I hope she's suitably embarrassed. You can put a dress on a monkey and it's still a monkey.

Advertisement