Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I HATE the fookin Races.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭tanyaog2007

its only for a week out of a whole year get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

It feels like a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

what a load of sh?te....without things such as the galway races there would be never anything to do...it would be the same owld day everyday...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Traffic is going from the Monageisha rounabout to the Radisson at 11:30pm ha ha ha ha ha...looked like it was going all the way back College Rd too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

You know the rapture is coming when the Spar has bouncers!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

fatguy2k1 wrote: »
    Wompa1 - there is a huge amount of young lads (17ish) and kitted out to go to the races. Suits, shoes, ties, gelled back hair (with highlights and mullety bit at the end) it was weird.

I was at the races today and there was literally thousands of these little scobies there. Couldn't get over it. Do they all pay in?

Go racing nearly every year but this ladies day especially it seemed a very young crowd out there. Huge difference in the helicopters compared to other year as well. It used to be like Vietnam with one taking off or landing every 5 minutes. Saw no more than one or two total today. Champagne tents were fairly quiet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Magalee

rightso wrote: »
    True, same way a lot of us don't give a toss about a few boats too

From what I gather the number's attending ARE down this year. My guess is the people who are there for the right reasons are enjoying the days with less phonies to tolerate

I've worked in one of the bars at the racecourse for the last 3 years and the numbers are defo down. Today was good but yesterday was quiet. dunno about it been the right people tho, i reckon i saw at least 20 fake Ids today!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not ladies day any more , young wans day more like .

Once the economy picks up and the chippers and pound shops start hiring staff that is the end of the Galway Races forever .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

If you weren't born here & chose to live here it comes with the turf. Don't like it,piss off!

If you were born here it part of our culture & contributes to who we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Traffic is going from the Monageisha rounabout to the Radisson at 11:30pm ha ha ha ha ha...looked like it was going all the way back College Rd too :D

Thats cos of them feckin new traffic lights at moneenageisha. What was wrong with the roundabout??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Emmi

Did anyone else see the RTE report and get annoyed by the girl chewing and chewing and chewing in the background?

Ha ha, saw her too and have to agree with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

Am I alone in dispising the Galway Race week? I do my best every year to be gone for this week but I could not this year. Just tried to drive into town from Oranmore. I spent over an hour sitting in traffic and managed to get as far as Ballybrit and Renmores (tried coast road and dual carriage way) out skirts before turning back. Its impossible to travel all of 5 miles! At night the pubs are full of pretentious twats bragging about how much they won and how they avoid traffic by flying in a helicopter. You cannot go out for a meal in peace (if you are lucky enough to get a table). You cannot go to the shops. You cannot get into Eyre square. You cannot walk down shop street for crowds and vomit. You cannot book a room in a hotel (if you can afford the inflated price). You cannot commute or do the most basic things in any sort of normal way if you are unlucky enough to live in the city. You have arses asking you "did you go racing yet" and getting looked at like you are some sort of cave dwelling troglodyte because you have not been there every night and backed 75 winners.

Balls to the lot of it!

I hate it too, its been about eights years since i went and i never go out during race week as the amount of assh**les that come here from around the country and think that they can act like muppets is astounding but i suppose one way to look at it is that like almost everywhere else in the country galways economy has suffered and anything that brings money into our local economy has to be welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

I hate it too, its been about eights years since i went and i never go out during race week as the amount of assh**les that come here from around the country and think that they can act like muppets is astounding but i suppose one way to look at it is that like almost everywhere else in the country galways economy has suffered and anything that brings money into our local economy has to be welcomed!

ahhhhhhhhhhh your so fookin annoying the lot of ye the races are the best craic to go out and let your hair down , the way i look at it is 40,000 were at the races 20 people on this thread dislike it do the math no one cares about you .

"I say the races should srtrech out for a second week."

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

3fullback wrote: »
    ahhhhhhhhhhh your so fookin annoying the lot of ye the races are the best craic to go out and let your hair down , the way i look at it is 40,000 were at the races 20 people on this thread dislike it do the math no one cares about you .

"I say the races should srtrech out for a second week."

1) If you don't care why are you posting a reply on this thread?
    2) If putting up with stupid Dublin pr***s drinking way to much and using galway city as their play pin for the week and pucking all over the place is your definition of "craic" be my guess go right ahead. Personally i prefer the two weeks during the galway arts festival to go out, much more relaxed atmosphere!
    3) Your reply makes it sound like you think i'm against the races, i'm not as i said its brilliant to see people coming here spending their money, i just prefer not to take part!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

1) If you don't care why are you posting a reply on this thread?
    2) If putting up with stupid Dublin pr***s drinking way to much and using galway city as their play pin for the week and pucking all over the place is your definition of "craic" be my guess go right ahead. Personally i prefer the two weeks during the galway arts festival to go out, much more relaxed atmosphere!
    3) Your reply makes it sound like you think i'm against the races, i'm not as i said its brilliant to see people coming here spending their money, i just prefer not to take part!

2 weeks of the arts festival ahahaha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Town is full of wet hung over ooompa loompas this morning, they look awful cute in the rain :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭EJLL

"Are you coming home for the races?"
    Reply: Ahhh... no.

Why would I want to witness Galway rammed with people I don't know. I can appreciate why the Races are enjoyable for people who are not from Galway.

I would like to see the festival develop into greater International recognition. I was in Cheltenham for the Gold Cup this year and the racecourse itself was rammed and not too unlike the Galway Races. It had larger grounds and a lot of people dressed in typical Britsh country attire which was cool to see.

People's comments on here about a lot of young 'wans' at the Galway Races is a worry though. That's not a good image. Actually it sounds like the Races during the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Have to say I was never a fan of the races - gambling/horses just don't appeal to me, but I ended up going out at least 1 day every year. Got tickets given to me for yesterday&today so I sucked it up and decided to go out yesterday - wow! Had a brilliant day.

Cheeky hip flask of JD and thanks to Justmary's tip got the 9 bus out there - such craic! There was a mix of people going racing and people just trying to get home - we had mighty craic on the bus and everyone had a sing song :D (Reminder that this was about 2pm :P). Decided to put on a random bet from a tip on another thread and it won :eek: I was like :D

Accross to the Clayton after because we were starving. €30 for a buffet - great if you're starving but I just wanted a nibble. Felt a bit ripped off but it was my choice to pay for it so feckit. Talked to a load of strangers out there, no boasting going on and everyone just having the craic.

Taxi into town from the Clayton - the fella only charged us €12 to bring us to Woodquay (2 of us) - thought it was good value (we'd just missed the bus)

Quay St. was hopping last night. I didn't see any puking or fighting or any 'Did you go racing?' questions - just everyone having a ball

Overall yesterday was great fun and I have to say that it left a positive impression on me. I used to nearly begrudge the races because of the perception of the sh1te it brought with it but I was wrong.... going out again today :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Worst week of the year in Galway, without a doubt. As a musician it's a time of year I dread, despite the extra gigs available. I work on Quay Street throughout the year and the race week crowds are always the worst. The event seems to be an excuse for antisocial and loutish behaviour (I can't count the number of people I saw pissing in the street last night as I was trying to get home from work); I think the Arts Festival brings a much nicer crowd to the city in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I found town strange last night, none of the usual buzz or atmosphere about the place at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

The money/jobs it creates for the city far out weighs all the negatives. Galway needs the races, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Have to say I was never a fan of the races - gambling/horses just don't appeal to me, but I ended up going out at least 1 day every year. Got tickets given to me for yesterday&today so I sucked it up and decided to go out yesterday - wow! Had a brilliant day.

Cheeky hip flask of JD and thanks to Justmary's tip got the 9 bus out there - such craic! There was a mix of people going racing and people just trying to get home - we had mighty craic on the bus and everyone had a sing song :D (Reminder that this was about 2pm :P). Decided to put on a random bet from a tip on another thread and it won :eek: I was like :D

Accross to the Clayton after because we were starving. €30 for a buffet - great if you're starving but I just wanted a nibble. Felt a bit ripped off but it was my choice to pay for it so feckit. Talked to a load of strangers out there, no boasting going on and everyone just having the craic.

Taxi into town from the Clayton - the fella only charged us €12 to bring us to Woodquay (2 of us) - thought it was good value (we'd just missed the bus)

Quay St. was hopping last night. I didn't see any puking or fighting or any 'Did you go racing?' questions - just everyone having a ball

Overall yesterday was great fun and I have to say that it left a positive impression on me. I used to nearly begrudge the races because of the perception of the sh1te it brought with it but I was wrong.... going out again today :D:D

What happened John?
    All the bitterness, the cynicism, the vitriolic hate for your fellow man replaced with happiness and good tithings?

Say it ain't so!

On-Topic: the races aren't the problem, the alcohol-abuse culture we continue to propagate is.
    MinesAGuinness etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I am amazed. I thought Galway welcomed the races, I thought the people enjoyed it, obviously not all of them, the animosity towards outsiders is very very obvious in this thread. Particularly towards Dubliners. I don't often hear Dubliners giving out about Galwegians (spelling?) getting drunk on the streets of Dublin. Pity, I found Galway very welcoming during the Volvo ocean race. I'm not really in to the races, but I heard there is a great buzz.

Some good positive posts though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

lightening wrote: »
    I am amazed. I thought Galway welcomed the races, I thought the people enjoyed it, obviously not all of them, the animosity towards outsiders is very very obvious in this thread. Particularly towards Dubliners. I don't often hear Dubliners giving out about Galwegians (spelling?) getting drunk on the streets of Dublin. Pity, I found Galway very welcoming during the Volvo ocean race. I'm not really in to the races, but I heard there is a great buzz.

Galway is generally a very welcoming city towards anyone/everyone but if you compare the race week crowd to a "normal" weekend you see how swamped/upended the place gets. Proportionally, it would probably take about a million galwegians drinking on the streets of Dublin to achieve the same effect if the tables were turned, so your comparison isn't really accurate. The fact that a lot of local people feel compelled to leave the city for the week to avoid the traffic/hassle shows the magnitude of the effect that the races have on the place. Having said that, Galway relies on things like Race Week for existence anyway, so you have to take the good with the bad I suppose.

The Ocean Race was a much different event. It had something for absolutely everyone, whereas the Race Week buzz is basically for people who enjoy getting smashed to bits drinking on the streets. Which is fine for the people who enjoy that, but not everyone does, and everyone else has to put up with the consequences.

If you saw the welcome that Galway gave to over 300,000 visitors for the Ocean Race, animosity would be the last impression you would get. Animosity is certainly not directed towards "outsiders" (we are not inward bumpkins you know!), if anything it is directed at the perceived unpleasantness of some aspects of race week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

cornbb wrote: »
    If you saw the welcome that Galway gave to over 300,000 visitors for the Ocean Race, animosity would be the last impression you would get. Animosity is certainly not directed towards "outsiders" (we are not inward bumpkins you know!), if anything it is directed at the perceived unpleasantness of some aspects of race week.

Woah!!! I did see it, I was sailing that weekend and said in my post

"I found Galway very welcoming during the Volvo ocean race"

Certainly don't think anyone is a "country bumpkin" and there is animosity in the thread.

lightening wrote: »

Dubs coming down for the races are about the least of the problems. Usually the biggest eejits up at the races or around the town at night are lads from out in the sticks who come in for a few days and act like they have landed in a rainer version of Las Vegas.

That said Galway needs the races and the vast majority of people in town for them are grand. With such huge crowds around though you are going to get a fair few head the balls I suppose expecially if they've been drinking most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mate LOVES the races as he can zip around the roads without all the usual f**kers in the way :D

Most ladies there are not ladies at 2 am in the morning

Most are not even ladies at 2 in the afternoon let alone 2 in the morning.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Got to admit been going racing a long time but Galway and other race meets around the country and Ladies Day in Galway can be described as different!!!

Ladies (they dress like ladies but don't act like them )
    Most ladies there are not ladies at 2 am in the morning, some are so rude, drunk and silly with feathers and hats on their heads at stupid hours of the morning ready to take someones eye out!!!
    Definition of a lady is :"
    A well-mannered and considerate woman with high standards of proper behavior."

How many of these did you see in Galway last night??:confused:
    I saw several bad mannered, inconsiderate, and varying standards (not too sure how high) of appalling behaviour- bottles of buckfast!!!! ladies

The concept of behaving like ladies whilst dressed as ladies appears to be alien to most!;)

ahhhhhh shut up you snob.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Daragh101 wrote: »
    Got to admit been going racing a long time but Galway and other race meets around the country and Ladies Day in Galway can be described as different!!!

Ladies (they dress like ladies but don't act like them )
    Most ladies there are not ladies at 2 am in the morning, some are so rude, drunk and silly with feathers and hats on their heads at stupid hours of the morning ready to take someones eye out!!!
    Definition of a lady is :"
    A well-mannered and considerate woman with high standards of proper behavior."

How many of these did you see in Galway last night??:confused:
    I saw several bad mannered, inconsiderate, and varying standards (not too sure how high) of appalling behaviour- bottles of buckfast!!!! ladies

The concept of behaving like ladies whilst dressed as ladies appears to be alien to most!;)

ahhhhhh shut up you snob.......

Not too many actually looked nice this year. All looked pretty trashy. So many insist on wearing that crap fake tan. then ewwwwww 3am in Supermacs with the Halogen bulbs shining down on them and the make up running while they eat a cheeseburger and there yellow looking eyes roll back a bit as they eat....definition of ugly!

Advertisement