Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Camper for oz travel

Options
  • 30-07-2009 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

wondering has anybody any experience of the little VW Camper vans in oz. just wondering are they ok comfort wise or would we be better off hiring a more modern one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

we bought a vw transporter and converted it ourselves, are you thinking an old aircooled one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I can only go on what I used myself, but Wicked Campers are pretty cool.

People assume that coz they're covered in graffitti that they must be ****, but our one had no problems. Nippy little thing. could do wheelspins takin off n all.

theres loads of other camper rentals when ya get over here anyway. All them get checked out by a mechanic after they're returned and serviced and all that, and even if they break down, u just ring them up and they'll come replace it with another one 24/7.

Thats why we opted to rent instead of buying one. For the same price, you could get a similar aged camper that if it breaks down, ur totally on ur own!

but ye, they're all the same really. I just like the wicked ones coz of the designs, and the attention u get comin down the coast! u always get a beep from other wicked campers when u pass on the bruce highway!! :D classic!

oh, ps, pricewise we paid 1500 each in a 2 man van (+250 deposit each) for 2 months with the van. If u factor in hostel accomodation and travel fares it works out roughly the same, except u have the freedom to go where u want, whenever u want with the vans!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭blues2

We got a campervan near kingscross in sydney for about $50-55 per day for 43 days. Drove from sydney to cairns and left it in their office there.

bargained the price down a little and got partner put on insurance for free. so definitely haggle with them. think the market is not as good now as it was then (february).

also, should be cheaper going cairns to sydney than vise versa. one guy was offering to fly us to cairns for free if we paid to drive the van down the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Give these guys a try

autobarn_logo.gif

Really one of the best in Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭blues2

Ozeire wrote: »
    Give these guys a try

autobarn_logo.gif

Really one of the best in Australia

they are the ones we got too. Really good. Helped us out a lot. when we thought there was problems with it, they sorted us with mechanics. turned out we just didnt know how to work battery charger, etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Surfdude100

I haven't seen VW camper in Oz... We hired a camper in Sydney and drove up to Cairns. Such a great trip! But I would not recommend Wicked. We met a couple of people with a Wicked on the way and the quality isn't great. The campers are old and if you ask me I wouldn't like to drive around with a design like this. But that might just be me. Back to the VW's...I think there is a VW rental in New Zealand. Saw them over there and it looks so cool!!! :cool:

Advertisement