Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A3/Golf/One Series

• 30-07-2009 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

Any suggestions?

I need to get myself a car and to be honest, there is nothing out there that really "Floats my boat".

I have come down to one the three above cars, mainly because i am looking for something for myself, but which can also seat two adult and two kids, as well as a dog (in the boot, hence a hatchback).

Can anyone adise on these? the golf is my first thought, but i got thinking about the one series and audi as well. the one series looks quite small thgouh, is it as practicle as the golf?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1 series not as big as the Golf, rear axle and propshaft robs you of rear seat room and boot space.

Maybe consider a Merc A Class (on the basis that you want something a bit different)

What sort of budget are you working to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭sk8board

the 1-series has no space in the back whatsoever, and a tiny boot. Its basically all bonnet. It'd be my choice of those 3 if I was single.

I had a similar choice in Jan 07 for a new hatchback, and ended up with a spec-ed up Focus (1.6 Zetec Connection), which has more space than the Golf, the same space if not a little more as the A3, but far cheaper than both.
    The spec was MILLLLLLES better too. The golf's have nothing on them, and even the reliability is not as bullet-proof as people are led to believe.
    A good spec A3 is just too expensive 2nd hand, I can't understand the prices of a lot of them

EDIT, oh by the way, if getting the 1.6 golf or A3, get the 1.6 Fsi, not the older one; although 90% of the choice will be the older one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

if its only those three youa re looking at scrap the 1 series, not as practically by a long shot as the other two....

then I would pick the golf..... the A3 sniffs a bit of "I want an audi badge but can't afford a real on" but in saying that it is a nice car to drive.... I personally think its a better car than the golf....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Whats the budget OP?

Advertisement