Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiritualist Church

Options
  • 30-07-2009 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi, just wondering has anyone attended the new Spiritualist church in Clondalkin? What are you thoughts on the Sunday service if you have attended?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Been up to it twice. I like it there, nice atmosphere. Even when its happy clappy which is not usually my thing. :D

The evidential mediumship Ive seen there is of a very high standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Been up a few times myslef, and I also have to say like the atmoshphere, very friendly and open. If you are a member you can also take part in the evening circles etc that are run there, there are also day course etc which are taking place and non members can par take, although membership will get you a discount.

redjasper, would you mind sharing your own background? Your comments are quite strong and would be different from my own experience of the sanctuary.

Of course some of the mediums are learning. Good mediums never stop, but I have no idea who apart from Tom Colton is running courses. I thought Tom was superb in the demo I saw, the man doesnt own an ego. :) It will take a while for the organisation to build up a big following and thus a pool of mediums such as they have in the UK. That is to be expected. Even in saying that, standards of platform mediumship does vary wildly there. Ive even seen Jose Gosschalk have an off day, and she is usually amazing.

Do you also have an issue with Stansted?

redjasper wrote: »
    have to say, I wasn't that impressed by the mediumship demonstrations, alot of the mediums only seem to be new to it having done courses in Stanstead, they are only learning themselves. they are full of confidence & ego's so if thats what it takes they will go far but personnally I would like to see a more professional spiritualist church in ireland.

I believe the evening classes are been run by students who themselves are only learning.

hope it improves soon as people signed up & paid membership & so far it hasn't been up to an acceptable standard:mad:

redjasper, I have been there also and there have been times where the mediumship wasnt what some may call brillant, I would put this down to the enviroment they are working sometimes and we must remember everyone has an off day.

Other committee members are running courses but I couldn't comment on those unless I actually sat in the class.

I would agree there are issues that would need to be sorted but the santuray is only open two and half months approx. and of course there is bound to be problems to be ironed out.

I did sugguest to one of the founders that a general meeting be held between all members to voice any concerns etc to be aired properly. Hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later.

If you have an issue why not talk to or email one of the founders as I know Tom is very approachable and they are genuine people and it seem their intent is for a place to express spirit. Maybe you have already done this?

redjasper wrote: »
    Yes I agree it is only new & it will take some time to iron out the finer details but I think they need to sort it out before it's too late.
    I have been there most weeks & there have been a few good demonstrations but there has has been alot more very poor ones & I do think ego is playing a big part in it.

I have also attended some of the weekday classes, which have been also very poor, students teaching students! I don't have a problem with Standsted but you can't attend 2 courses there & call yourself a medium, it takes a lifetime.

I know others have suggested a meeting of members but the organisers don't seem keen, very busy promoting there up & coming shows I hear!!

Anyway, lets hope it improves soon, if not I won't be the only one looking for my membership subscription back (not that I have even recieved a membership card or nothing yet!!)

I have suggested a meeting and it was very well received, this will of course take time to orgainse.

they gave people a key ring stating membership and they did give some of these out at classes and at the services, so maybe you may just need to ask for it. I would understand this would by annoying and it would be something they would need to sort out.

imo why shouldn't they promote up and coming tour, they do have a life outside of the santuary.

redjasper, if your this upset or annoyed at how things are run, why not put your suggestions and help forward to the organisers and do something about how you feel. Of course you may have done this already and if you did, did you not get a proper response or was your view dismissed?

I do agree with you that certain aspects need to be sorted out now not later, as it should start as it means to go on but again these things take time.

With the circles etc it may just take them time to source mediums very well trained and capable of instuction, and you always have the option again not to attend and make it clear as to why. I dont disagree with you on there should be mediums training of a high standard.

We have waited a long time for this to happen in the republic of Ireland and these people have started the ball rolling and I am sure you are as hopefull as myself and many others that this will be a place we can go to learn or just simply sit and experience spirit as a community. If we dont work hard and put what we can into this be it a sugguestion or help or just good old plain support, who will?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭poster

Hi Redjasper,
    It never ceases to amaze me how people who have constructive comments to make about something, never get in touch with commitees who run an orgaisation such as the sui. There has been a number of emails sent out to members asking if they have any suggestions or input to give and I can tell you we had 1 esponse from one member who I have spoken to about the points he raised. Unless members actul speak to the committee then how are we to know if people have issues. You have come onto a public forum to express your views without first consulting with any of the committee I am aware of. With regard to your membership card, have you said to any one of the committee that you havent received it? All course facilitators have access to membership cards which are kept in the sactuary. The cards where not ready when members joined initially but when a member joins now the card is given out as the form is taken.

The first mention of a meeting was on Thursday when I spoke with one of the members and we said we would look at getting a meeting of members together to discuss the union.

You also make reference to my up and coming shows and yes I do promote them in the sanctuary, you seem to have issue with this. You also forget that everyone is a student in the sanctuary including those who facilitate the classes, we never stop learning. Give me an email with your contact details and we can arrange to chat. Oneont allow into any of my work is ego, so you definately do not know me or what I stand for

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 redjasper

I have decided to delete my messages on the matter & will not be discussing the matter anymore, seems I have hit a raw nerve. This is a public forum where people express opinions but I don't like the tone of the messages on this topic.

redjasper, you will notice your messages still exist where they are quoted by others. You may have hit a raw nerve, but sometimes thats not a bad thing. You keep talking and work past it. The sui is a new organisation, and as mentioned by poster above, would welcome all feedback, good and bad. I think the only raw nerve was your coming here, first. I recommend going direct to them, to put your points and see how you fare.

redjasper, I hope anything I have posted in response did not offend you. Its good to get things out in the open. I would second what orxy said , go direct and air your views and see how you fare....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭poster

I did not wish for you to withdraw your post but it would have been better that you discuss the matter with the committee before posting on a poublic forum. I would still like to talk through your issues with you. It is as I said good to get constructive critism, there is not such thing as bad feedback. I suggest that you still contact me, you most defintely did not hit a raw nerve and as the other people have said lets talk about issues not hide behind them especially on a forum when the issues have not been brought to the attention of the committee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 An CROI

poster wrote: »
    lets talk about issues not hide behind them especially on a forum........

<snip>

An CROI, you have already brought this up in another thread.

Advertisement