Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stair thread loose

Options
  • 30-07-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The bottom thread on our stairs is not fixed tight to the floor and it makes a bit of a thud when stepping on it.
    We're getting the carpet fitted in a week or two and I want to fix the thread before its fitted.
    What would be the best way to go about this?

I thought about a few extra long screws and drilling down into the floor, putting in a plug and using this to tighten it down.

The floor under is normal concrete and the floor is tiled up to the rise of the step.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Hi,

The bottom thread on our stairs is not fixed tight to the floor and it makes a bit of a thud when stepping on it.
    We're getting the carpet fitted in a week or two and I want to fix the thread before its fitted.

I thought about a few extra long screws and drilling down into the floor, putting in a plug and using this to tighten it down.

The floor under is normal concrete and the floor is tiled up to the rise of the step.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Assuming it's a wooden stairs, if you look under it there should be some wooden wedges that harden the step up to the containment. Hammer them in a bit tighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Problem there is I cannot access the underside without ripping of some slabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

+1 on the wedges. can you get at underside of the staircase if so you could bang in wedges from there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Hi,

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Could u drill a few holes at edge of step and force some wood glue in to basically fill the gap: just let it harden

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

Thinking in reverse to Art and HT, would it be possible to get somebody to stand on the thread while you check the joints both sides, if the gap opens say 4mm you might be able to "Encourage" a wedge of 6mm timber into the joint ?

• Advertisement

Picture attached is not my stairs, but it shows which thread is loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats not the tread.Thats a riser The tread is the flat piece you walk on.
    I would cut small thin wedges and stick them in from the sides to make the riser tight against the tread.

The thread and riser move together. It's like they are not tightly secured to the newel. They only move about 2-3mm but it's enough to make a racket when stepping on it !

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

Would it be possible to fit a small L bracket between the riser and the newell post ?

Advertisement