Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone going to the ESCAPE festival in Fairyhouse this Weekend?

• 30-07-2009 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭

My brother is on the bill so we're heading down to support him.

Any other boardies heading down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Wouldn't have minded going but none of my mates were interested. Please tell us how it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

I didn't go to Planetlove earlier in the summer and was told it was a b it of a wash out. Thankfully the weather yesterday stayed fine most of the day. Some really light showers lasting a few seconds, more mist than anything else, helped to cool down the crowd a bit.
    There was a decent crowd at it. A good few 15-16 year olds had crept in but it was mostly people around their 20's from what I saw, or assumed I saw.

Some of the DJ's early in the day were just playing the hardest and best known tracks they could to get noticed. I thought the quality of DJ after 5pm was way better. That said I saw one or two guys hitting the decks who were clearly the worse for wear.

Overall I had a really good day. A lot of the "dance" festivals get a knackerfest label applied and I know there were many undesirables hanging around but there was a good vibe in the place and I heard no problem incidents at all.

One gripe I would have is directed squarely at "superstart DJ" John Gibbons.
    Yes john is well known and yes he was playing the main slot in the arena.
    But after 5 minutes of starting his set we were exposed to 3 break downs pretty much back to back and 2 "John Gibbons" voiceovers.
    I heard a good few people asking when was he going to start playing.
    I think he's taking his superstar status a bit too literally.
    Not a bad set eventually. Didn't wait to the end. Timmy and Tommy were better

Highlight of the day........Michael Rochford on the Evolve tent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Hope he gets the recognition he deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

I didn't go to Planetlove earlier in the summer and was told it was a b it of a wash out. Thankfully the weather yesterday stayed fine most of the day. Some really light showers lasting a few seconds, more mist than anything else, helped to cool down the crowd a bit.
    There was a decent crowd at it. A good few 15-16 year olds had crept in but it was mostly people around their 20's from what I saw, or assumed I saw.

Some of the DJ's early in the day were just playing the hardest and best known tracks they could to get noticed. I thought the quality of DJ after 5pm was way better. That said I saw one or two guys hitting the decks who were clearly the worse for wear.

Overall I had a really good day. A lot of the "dance" festivals get a knackerfest label applied and I know there were many undesirables hanging around but there was a good vibe in the place and I heard no problem incidents at all.

One gripe I would have is directed squarely at "superstart DJ" John Gibbons.
    Yes john is well known and yes he was playing the main slot in the arena.
    But after 5 minutes of starting his set we were exposed to 3 break downs pretty much back to back and 2 "John Gibbons" voiceovers.
    I heard a good few people asking when was he going to start playing.
    I think he's taking his superstar status a bit too literally.
    Not a bad set eventually. Didn't wait to the end. Timmy and Tommy were better

yeah i agree is john gibbons just good by hyping himself up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I agree with pretty much all that fankly has said about Escape.

I thought that two virtually unknown irish Djs, Ger Power and Michael Rochford were the standout performances that i saw there. Maybe its because they were playing more techy than trancey sounds and stayed away from the sh!te 5 minute long predictable muck trance breakdowns but they really stood out for me.

The place was full of knackers alright but as said before there was no sign whatsoever of any trouble. And to be fair the scum seem to be able to handle their toxins so while there were a few faces being pulled i saw no wrecks.

As for the Big Name Superstar Djs- Yoji was the most memorable for me for all the wrong reasons. He is just a noisy joke. Seriously, i mean , his mixing skills are basically non existent. He just waits for the breakdown and then throws his hands dramatically in the air, points a bit with a serious face, shouts a bit and lets the track do its own thing and then for the next breakdown he does the same but when there's a silent bit he throws the crossfader over and starts the next track. I.E. he doesnt mix at all. Having said that i heard he was a sound chap to all who met him so i suppose thats something.

One other gripe was that the place was a bit cramped. There was a lot of soundclash between the open air area and the other tents and there was nowhere quiet at all to just chill for a while. If you could have sat on the grass area it would have been something but it was all concrete and gravel so thats maybe something to look at for next year. Other than that it was surprisingly a decent day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

I couldnt go i really wanted to :( theres always next year!

I hear you with John Gibbons, but he wants to be an international/superstar dj and i think to be one you need to have an ego! it comes with the job.

And Yogi, lol @ him, he is a bit nuts and he cant mix and he only plays high energy popular random tunes to get the crowd going but he is a nice guy and nice guys get on in the world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mrs.vandoorn

Great atmosphere on the day. It was more intimate than the usual dance fest and i got to meet a lot of the DJs after their sets and throughout the night. Bought Markus Schossow a drink :D.

Alot less knackerage than the likes of Planetlove. Nice to see one of our lads Spencer doing his stuff wit Sparkplugs and the rest. Unfortunately doesnt look like their will be a next year. Money troubles its a shame really because it was well worth the complimentary ticket. lol

Advertisement