Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

THe UK ID card scheme

• 30-07-2009 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

(Or get the Turkeys to vote for extra Sage and Onion)

A scary scheme.

But this is the scaryist bit yet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8176699.stm

If you are living in the UK and IRA restarts their campaign do you really want an ID card that marks you as N.I. UK "Irish"?

Are Nationalists & Republicans in N.I. silly enough to fall for this?

While we are at it why not put a Crescent on for Muslims and a Caravan Symbol for Travellers...

Then "knee jerk" arrests will be easier still.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

The BBC wrote:

Ministers plan to launch the £30 biometric ID Card UK-wide in 2011 or 2012 - but it will not be compulsory.

Well, if this is the case, it doesn't matter. The thing is, will they cook something up later to make it compulsory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

DubTony wrote: »
    Well, if this is the case, it doesn't matter. The thing is, will they cook something up later to make it compulsory?

95% likely. Those in power like spoilt children want to get their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

ive heard that people are not in favour of theses cards why is that?

I understand it was originally to be a compulsory ID card, which would effectively mean that anyone in authority could "request" that you identify yourself at any time e.g. while walking down the street. With a compulsory ID card it has to be assumed that not carrying one would be an offense of some sort, which leads to the possibility that people could be criminalised simply by not carrying identification.
    Some people are concerned about freedom of movement issues. And some people just like to be able to walk around without the threat of interrogation hanging over them.

"Papers Please" ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I understand it was originally to be a compulsory ID card, which would effectively mean that anyone in authority could "request" that you identify yourself at any time e.g. while walking down the street. With a compulsory ID card it has to be assumed that not carrying one would be an offense of some sort, which leads to the possibility that people could be criminalised simply by not carrying identification.
    Some people are concerned about freedom of movement issues. And some people just like to be able to walk around without the threat of interrogation hanging over them.

"Papers Please" ?????

It's good to know that police officers have the free time and energy to stop, arrest and interrogator someone for no good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

King Mob wrote: »
    It's good to know that police officers have the free time and energy to stop, arrest and interrogator someone for no good reason.

I guess it's not every shift that they shoot brazilian terrorists running to suicide-bomb trains. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Kernel wrote: »
    I guess it's not every shift that they shoot brazilian terrorists running to suicide-bomb trains. ;)

Yep cause they did that when they got bored.
    And they do that every week and there was no media or public backlash or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Kernel wrote: »
    I guess it's not every shift that they shoot brazilian terrorists seven times in the head (while restrained) running to suicide-bomb trains. ;)

Its the only time I have done it to a poster. FYP!
    They say this system, backed up by a national identity register, will help combat identity fraud, crime and terrorism.

"In udder news, the British Government have been steadfast on the media's new inability to broadcast in-house footage or print quotes or new legislation arising from the house of commons, They say this system, backed up by fear and ignorance, will help combat anti-british bias, crime and terrorism"

Seriously though, add that word to any old horse****e, and its somehow more beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

or Drug Dealers, Paedophilia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

watty wrote: »
    (Or get the Turkeys to vote for extra Sage and Onion)

A scary scheme.

But this is the scaryist bit yet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8176699.stm

If you are living in the UK and IRA restarts their campaign do you really want an ID card that marks you as N.I. UK "Irish"?

Are Nationalists & Republicans in N.I. silly enough to fall for this?

While we are at it why not put a Crescent on for Muslims and a Caravan Symbol for Travellers...

Then "knee jerk" arrests will be easier still.

It's not going to be compulsory, though. I don't imagine many nationalists/republicans would want to get one. I imagine that most people will stick to driving licences and pqssports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Richard wrote: »
    It's not going to be compulsory, though. I don't imagine many nationalists/republicans would want to get one. I imagine that most people will stick to driving licences and pqssports.
    Of course it will become compulsory, frog in a boiling water scenario, This National ID card will be in tandem with the compulsory American version of it, the HR418 Real ID card. The card will of course be introduced on a "voluntary" basis to get the foot in the door and eventually it will be required to collect state benefits, purchase tobacco & alcohol, enter a public building, etc, people aren't that stupid. It will be made "compulsory" in that it will be impossible to live without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I am sure I read recently that the Tory party have said they will scrap the ID card if .....once they get into power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the stupid thing is ,that to get a ID card ,you have to have a passport,if so then why bother ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Latchy wrote: »
    I am sure I read recently that the Tory party have said they will scrap the ID card if .....once they get into power
    They would say anything to get in power. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭simplistic

Its happened before in Britain , watch from 44 mins in taking liberties.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3351275215846218544

They would say anything to get in power. :rolleyes:
    Just like every party

Hmmmm....maybe they should be asked to put it in writing .

Parties do that too. It makes no difference. Read the Zanu-FF manifestos and compare with actions.

Politicians and political parties promising and not delievering is an old game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Latchy wrote: »
    Politicians and political parties promising and not delievering is an old game.

I think they call it "politics".

bonkey wrote: »
    I think they call it "politics".
    Yea that's ''politics '' for ya

• Advertisement

King Mob wrote: »

From the documentary Taking Liberties:

"The police have used the Terrorism Act to stop and search over 100,000 people, though none of them were actually terrorists."

So it seems quite a few of them do have the free time and energy to stop, arrest and interrogator someone for no good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Would they prefer to be marked as N.I. British? :confused:.

National ID cards exist in many countries. Shock horror the world hasn't ended. Once again, what have you got to be afraid of... show the police your ID and off you go on your merry way.:confused:. Talk about knee-jerk reactionism... that is what this thread is. OMGZ next they'll tattoo a number on us. Funny I've been stopped in two European countries and asked for ID. I got over it.

If there were Disident Republicans letting off "fireworks" in Birmingham, it might be better to visit as N.I. British rather than N.I. Irish.

And possibly neglect to bring the Irish Passport. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

If there were Disident Republicans letting off "fireworks" in Birmingham, it might be better to visit as N.I. British rather than N.I. Irish.

And possibly neglect to bring the Irish Passport. ;)

Well no doubt they'd just be innocent holiday makers ;) then we'd have a real conspiracy theory.

Advertisement