Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on purchasing Hot Tub

Options
  • 30-07-2009 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I would appreciate any advice on purchasing a Hot Tub. What should be the deciding factor on any model? Is it water volume, seating capacity, heat pump, number of jets or the construction of the tub? Any help would be appreciated. I would like to have the facts before I have to listen to the 'Sales Jargon'.
    Also, I am considering housing it in an unused shed, the back wall of which forms a complete wall of my patio. I intend to open up a section of the shed with double doors opening onto my patio. Is this feasible or is there any disadvantages to having the Hot Tub located inside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I would appreciate any advice on purchasing a Hot Tub. What should be the deciding factor on any model? Is it water volume, seating capacity, heat pump, number of jets or the construction of the tub? Any help would be appreciated. I would like to have the facts before I have to listen to the 'Sales Jargon'.
    Also, I am considering housing it in an unused shed, the back wall of which forms a complete wall of my patio. I intend to open up a section of the shed with double doors opening onto my patio. Is this feasible or is there any disadvantages to having the Hot Tub located inside?

I supplied and fitted and sourced hot tubs it all depends on what your doing. If its an outdoor hot tube nothing beats an artic spa indoor nothing beats the system advance hydrotherapy do.

Where is it indoor/outdoor? What is your budget... Be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cherry Picker

Joey the Lips
    Read the original message. I am wondering what is best location - inside or outside? I'm asking for advice.
    My budget will depend on what advice I get with regard to my original questions about whether or not I should consider water volume, seating capacity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Joey the Lips
    Read the original message. I am wondering what is best location - inside or outside? I'm asking for advice.
    My budget will depend on what advice I get with regard to my original questions about whether or not I should consider water volume, seating capacity etc.

Thats going to get you places! A lot of people get the termonology mixed up. My apologies for the mix up. I leave you with it

again my apologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

The idea you have is not to common in Ireland so your limited to where you can purchase a tub for more than 1 person. As Joey mentioned Artic Spa seems to be the only crowd I know of doing dedicated hot tubs. These hot tubs are completely separate to your plumbing system, the have there own water supply's, heat sources, filtration and drains. If your not restricted to any budget, you will have no problem installing one, trouble is they tend to go up into the thousands.

If you try it the other way and combine it with your heating system and a plate heat exchanger, you will more than likely have to increase the KW/BTU of your boiler, then you have to add in all kinds of filtration units, pumps and drains, you will probably have to build another room off the shed outside. You will find it difficult to source a tub, it may have to be made to suit the location. I have worked on similar ideas you have but they tend to be more small pools than hot tubs, heat loss is another factor also. Most of the buildings I worked in which had small pools/hot tubs had excessive amounts of insulation, condensation is a problem also you have to design the area with that in mind.

Best look out for dedicated hot tubs, like artic spas for out door use, anything else is a lot of work and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cherry Picker

The idea you have is not to common in Ireland so your limited to where you can purchase a tub for more than 1 person. As Joey mentioned Artic Spa seems to be the only crowd I know of doing dedicated hot tubs. These hot tubs are completely separate to your plumbing system, the have there own water supply's, heat sources, filtration and drains. If your not restricted to any budget, you will have no problem installing one, trouble is they tend to go up into the thousands.

If you try it the other way and combine it with your heating system and a plate heat exchanger, you will more than likely have to increase the KW/BTU of your boiler, then you have to add in all kinds of filtration units, pumps and drains, you will probably have to build another room off the shed outside. You will find it difficult to source a tub, it may have to be made to suit the location. I have worked on similar ideas you have but they tend to be more small pools than hot tubs, heat loss is another factor also. Most of the buildings I worked in which had small pools/hot tubs had excessive amounts of insulation, condensation is a problem also you have to design the area with that in mind.

Best look out for dedicated hot tubs, like artic spas for out door use, anything else is a lot of work and money.
    Thank you, It's an outdoor hot tub I am enquiring about. Completely independant of my heating system. I still don't know what I should prioritise though. Seating capacity or water volumn. I looked up Artic Spa (recommended by Joey the Lips and yourself).The average hot tub has seating for 4 and holds 1600 litres. That's fine, but there are space savers also which use 700 litres of water. I'm still confused but appreciate your time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement