Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the Best Java IDE??

Options
  • 30-07-2009 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've been currently using Netbeans and Eclipse and I've found them to crash and awful lot. I was wondering if anyone out there has found a good IDE, doesn't matter about the price tag....

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I've been currently using Netbeans and Eclipse and I've found them to crash and awful lot. I was wondering if anyone out there has found a good IDE, doesn't matter about the price tag....

If money is really no object I would go for IntelliJ

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Netbeans and Eclipse are probably the most used ones.

I don't really like IntelliJ, although I've only used it briefly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

IntelliJ would be my IDE of choice.

I would question however whether another IDE is the solution to your crashing problem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I use eclipse daily and a crash is very unusual ... perhaps there is another problem? Would be a shame to spend a lot of money on another solution to discover that the issue lies not in the IDE. I only use netbeans infrequently, it hasn't crashed for me but that might be just because I haven't used it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Go into the eclipse.ini (in your eclipse install dir ) and up the memory available to eclipse. Should make it more stable(ie not freeze as much).

eg
    On separate lines in the ini
    -Xms40m
    -Xmx256m

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

ronivek wrote: »
    IntelliJ would be my IDE of choice.

I would question however whether another IDE is the solution to your crashing problem.
    croo wrote: »
    I use eclipse daily and a crash is very unusual ... perhaps there is another problem? Would be a shame to spend a lot of money on another solution to discover that the issue lies not in the IDE. I only use netbeans infrequently, it hasn't crashed for me but that might be just because I haven't used it enough.

While I just answered the question yesterday, I would second these posts. Neither of these IDEs would be regarded as unstable at all so it would be a shame to spend a fair bit of dough on another one only to have the same problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

My top three Java ide's are netbeans, eclipse and Jcreator.

Jcreator: while very basic, I find handy for tomcat work.

The others you know about already.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Eclipse is the only one I've used to any great degree. I don't think it crashed on me once. I would agree with the others and recommend looking into why it is crashing rather than throwing it out and starting again with another IDE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Netbeans is fantastic and that has never crashed on me.
    Why don't you try doing repair installation on netbeans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I started programming Java with JCreator but moved onto NetBeans after a year or so because it seems more complete..debugger and all that!!

Netbeans keeps cribbing about Ant and the likes after each update..I need to go and fiddle with the settings after each update to get it to compile/run again..

I've also tried Eclipse as I know how popular it is....All I can say is that it drove me mad the way you need to install plugins to do everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Eclipse is free. Plugins means you can customize for what you want to do.

There are non free versions of Eclipse. For example Rational Application Developer (built on Eclipse) has everything in it but costs around $2,400.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Malached

RAD is a piece of ****. Unwieldy as most IBM stuff (DB2 anyone?) . Itellij IDEA has some really nice code completion/refactoring sort of stuff ... nice to use... but no aspectj for some reason ... My favourite at the moment, downside is it costs money. Netbeans ... seems OK, but never used it professionally, so dunno how it holds up coding on a big project in normal daily work. Vanilla eclipse ... best of the free ones, not as good as idea. Writing eclipse plugins is a bitch, the API is a tad compicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Malached wrote: »
    RAD is a piece of ****.

Depends on the version. The latest version is just as snappy as eclipse even with all the extra bells and whistles. The older version was a serious pain the backside to use before. The old version for me was slow and had to talk to a license server every 3 days or shut down. Latest one is no different then eclipse.
    Unwieldy as most IBM stuff (DB2 anyone?)

You are aware that Eclipse was written by IBM and also contains parts of VisualAge for Java which was also an IBM product. Also using SWT framework (Again IBM).

Again though you might be basing this on historical products. The latest DB2 is hardly unwieldy.
    Writing eclipse plugins is a bitch, the API is a tad complicated.

They used to be. Not that bad now. There are quite a lot of products now built on SWT + RCP which knowledge of eclipse allows you to extend those.

And btw eclipse has code completion and refactoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

Netbeans and JCreator are great tools and free.
    Who has 3 grand to spend on an IDE?

Advertisement