Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query Results

Options
  • 30-07-2009 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey, I am applying for a postgraduate.

Basically the requirements are an upper second class honours in the subjects of my BA.

I think I have that, I just want to check with those in the know:

my final mark was 388 out of 600. When I calculate that it's 64.6.... It is fair therefore to count that as 65% and thus a Second Class Honour Upper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Hey, I am applying for a postgraduate.

Basically the requirements are an upper second class honours in the subjects of my BA.

I think I have that, I just want to check with those in the know:

my final mark was 388 out of 600. When I calculate that it's 64.6.... It is fair therefore to count that as 65% and thus a Second Class Honour Upper?

Yeh, I'm pretty sure that's a 2.1, where did you go? I'm only asking because I know NUIM work on that, it depends on where you go i.e. DCU works differently to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

64.6% would be considered a higher second class honours (2.1) for most universities.

Re. counting it as 65%, most colleges will leave it at 64.6% rather than rounding it up. I know there was a friend of mine who received 69.7% in their degree and it remained a 2.1 rather than being rounded up to a first class degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭thesecretforme

Lol, so I have nothing to be worried about?

I don't know how can you impress people at an interview for your Postgraduates, it's a very dubious situation. It's hardly based on ability.

Advertisement