Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I qualified to teach?

• 30-07-2009 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Just a quick question.

I have a degree in psychology and psychoanalysis. And a higher diploma in computer science. Does that qualify me to teach in secondary schools?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I can't see what subject you would be qualified for, but you can check on the Teaching Council site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Quacksalber

geuro wrote: »
    Just a quick question.

I have a degree in psychology and psychoanalysis. And a higher diploma in computer science. Does that qualify me to teach in secondary schools?

Errr yes and no.

Anyone with a degree can substitute. Pays well but you are basically a temp so zero job security.
    To actually get a teaching post you need to have a H.Dip in edcuation.

What you could do, and i recommend it, is try and get lecturing work in one of the Institutes of Technology. Pays better and you get less abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 DubGuyxx

In terms of teaching quals, for registration as a teacher at secondary level, you need a primary degree with two subjects (can be a major and a minor) or degrees in two single subjects, plus a HDip in Education.

The degrees would have to be in subjects which are part of the Irish curriculum. Neither psychology nor computer science currently are, so beyond occasional informal subbing,(and even for this work, there are plenty of fully qualified teachers around...), you're most likely out of luck.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.....

Dub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

Thanks folks!

Have job at the moment as a developer, no plans to move any time soon, just had a conversation with someone the other day and they mentioned that anyone with a degree and HDip in anything can teach. Thought it sounded a bit too easy..

Advertisement