Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any opinions on this PC?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

A friend of mine wants a new PC for gaming and general use. He has a budget of €7-800 for the base unit - he's getting a monitor, mouse, keyboard, OS elsewhere. I had a go at speccing something for him but I would be very happy if somebody could check it out to see if there are any glaring errors because I know very little about this kind of thing. Thanks a million.

Article-No. Article Availability Delivery price
    HV20QT67DE Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 tray, 8192Kb, LGA775, 64bit, Kentsfield
    incl. VAT and excl. shipping costs
    ready for dispatch 150,40 €
    HV1127MXDE MSI P45 Neo-F, Intel P45, ATX
    ready for dispatch 67,76 €
    HV30ACF7DE Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Sockel 775
    ready for dispatch 15,20 €
    HV20OG96DE 4096MB-Kit OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Gold Dual Channel, CL5
    ready for dispatch 43,90 €
    HV203FAVDE Coolermaster Centurion 590, ohne Netzteil schwarz
    ready for dispatch 63,91 €
    HVR700OSDE OCZ StealthXStream 700Watt
    ready for dispatch 77,66 €
    HV1021WGDE Gainward GTX 275, 896MB, PCI-Express
    ready for dispatch 185,34 €
    HV13HSP5DE Hitachi P7K500 500GB,16MB, HDP725050GLA360
    ready for dispatch 43,55 €
    HV207H2ADE LG GH22NS40/NS30 bare schwarz SATA II
    ready for dispatch 24,02 €
    Sum: 671,74 €
    2) 671,74 €
    2) All prices inclusive VAT and excluding shipping costs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

Anyone? Even a quick yes or no would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I wonder where Solitaire is tonight....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

"Very busy" is the answer :P Trying to work out what I'm buying to replace my dear deceased Astra is kinda taking priority a bit this week :o

CPU: That's an OEM part with no or limited guarantee. The main reason I'm just a little cynical is because there's a lot of good quad-core deals floating around at the moment. Just a tad cheaper are two 3GHz AMD quads, and the older one is a Black Edition. Just above it you have the more refined 45nm Intel Q9400 if you want a warranty, and for a tenner more the AMD X4-955BE. And if you threw a bit more money at it there's also the Q9550...
    Mobo: Decent current-chipset mobo, good OC potential, no problems. Just bear in mind it only has the single PCIe slot... not that many people really need CrossFire anyway :P
    Cooler: For LGA775 only. One of the few 92mm coolers that can keep a raging quad in check :D
    RAM: The right type, but maybe not the right company. OCZ has had a lot of issues with overvolted DDR2 lately and the stuff doesn't really like MSI mobos either :rolleyes: Try to get another brand PC8500 for around the same price, so long as its CL5.
    Case: Fine, plenty of other choices though. Antec 300 is cheap and has its 140mm fan included, CM690 Xcalade is better and costs around the same as the CM590... until you add the cost of getting one or two Scythe 140mm fans, as it doesn't come with any :o But it starts life with more 120mm fans than the CM590 anyway :P
    PSU: Not pushed on those, being ageing, cheap and nasty Fortrons with issues aplenty. Not that you'll ever draw enough power to bring out its worst. Or indeed even make it practical when an Antec EA650 or Corsair VX550 will do just fine and cost less...
    GPU: Good card for a good price, but bear in mind that ATi have their similarly-performing HD4890 for over €30 less... up to you really.
    HDD: A bit small for a big mid-range build but can't be faulted on value-for-money. You might want to see if you could get a 1GB model for €20 more but its not critical.
    Optical: Yeah. Whatever :)

And now... I'm off to bed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

You are a gent. Thank you very much.

Advertisement