Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first year accommodation

• 30-07-2009 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi,
    im hoping to be going into first year in september and i was wondering if anyone knew any good places for first years. ive been looking for a while now and i could really do with the help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

What kind of accomodation would you like?

Digs? where everything is done for ya?

Student accomodation? near the college and student filled locations?

Or anything?

Do you have anyone moving in with you? want a house? apartment?

First step is downloading the accomodation list from the itCarlow website and after that it's well worth going down for a day to check out some places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KShanley

well i was lookin for the student apartments where your put in with other first years. i tried to download the list fron the website but it didnt work.

look for carrag amhainn, it's just opposite the college. Best place to go for first year students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 KShanley

Thanks so much. Is there anywhere else around the college good for first years? Id like to have a few options.:)

there are a few on the river, can't remember if they are river bank or river view apts. also, look for millbrook for more options. they are all apartments, for houses, look for college green or green road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Protagonist

I stayed in an apartment in Riverbank last year for my first year. http://www.redhillproperties.ie/
    It's not that bad of a place, kind of expensive. But i think it's probably the best option for a first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

Im renting out a newly refurbished 2 bed appartment right beside the college if anyones interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

If you want a comprehensive list of accommodation ie digs/self catering etc. contact the accommodation officer in the IT. Her name is Elizabeth McEvoy contact number 059-9175600

If you want to download the listing off the IT Carlow website: http://accommodation.itcarlow.ie/ (you'll need to have an updated version of Adobe)

If you need any other info PM me. I work in the Institute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mistabutta

i was looking at a 4 bedroom apartment and it says 600 monthly.. is that 600 per person per month?

without knowing where it is, it's hard to say. but i know alot of apartments which went for that split between 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

mistabutta wrote: »
    i was looking at a 4 bedroom apartment and it says 600 monthly.. is that 600 per person per month?

I would imagine it's 600pm for the entire apartment.

thanks you..i also saw some apartments in graigue? i think they are called barrowmills..is this a good place for students? is it walkable to college? thanks all this help is appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

I would think its walkable but its about 20 - 30 mins i'd say a walk. So not ideal really. And if you are going into first year you really should try for something closer IMO

Tom10 wrote: »
    I would think its walkable but its about 20 - 30 mins i'd say a walk. So not ideal really. And if you are going into first year you really should try for something closer IMO

thanks. i wouldnt mind too much about walking as i have a car and could use the exercise!!!

what kinda area is it? is it safe?

thanks. i wouldnt mind too much about walking as i have a car and could use the exercise!!!

what kinda area is it? is it safe?

Well Craig has a bad enough name but that area isn't so bad. And if you have a car I can't see you encountering too many problems. Best thing to do though is post in the Region area forum for carlow. Most of the people that post there are from carlow so would be able to give you a far more definite answer than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Its a bit or a rough spot and there isnt too many students, lived there for a few weeks in first year ended up moving to southern gardens, house there was ok 2 mins walk from the college and generally fairly quiet because a few familys live in there. Avoid Carraig Abhainn ridiculously expensive and small, can be very noisy aswell. Your best bet would be southern Gardens or Riverbank apartments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Southern Gardens was a great place to live in. At least for a student. Two minutes from college, and plenty of other students around.

is southern gardens a housing estate?

is southern gardens a housing estate?

Ya with nice houses mostly - fairly new in that they aren't made from paper but they are always overcrowded so can be quiet hectic really. Again depends what you are looking for in a place to live.

yeah its just beside carraig abhainn its a lively enough spot and the houses are very big so its very good for first years you will meet loads of new people in them houses

• Advertisement

thanks for replying everyone!!!

i saw another place called riverside apartments.. what is this place like? in terms of location and distance to college?

thanks again

Very student orientated - impossible to park a car AFAIK. Clean appartments mostly but from the people I know that lived there never stayed longer than a year really. Don't know why but they never did - kinda expensive for what you get IMO.

About 15 min walk at most

thanks for replying everyone!!!

i saw another place called riverside apartments.. what is this place like? in terms of location and distance to college?

thanks again

Riverbank is right beside the town ie you can see the major pubs and clubs from the window. Its a bit restrictive, as in security is very tight and no noise whatsoever is generally allowed, only 5 - 10 min walk, you could drive but the parking situation in the college is a bit off a joke really. PArking in riverbank is not underground its across the road down a lane, generally not much room for parking. The actual apartments are pretty cool, and everythin ie TV broadband etc is included in the price. I think it was 75 euro last year

oh yea they're called riverwalk aprtments sorry.. yea they seem a bit expensive alright.. you have to pay 12 euro extra per week per student for esb etc

is there a housing estate called riverside?

oh yea they're called riverwalk aprtments sorry.. yea they seem a bit expensive alright.. you have to pay 12 euro extra per week per student for esb etc

is there a housing estate called riverside?

Ya there is, the houses in there are fairly varied. Some very nice, others very cheap and not so nice. But they are both very close to town and 10 min at most to the college.

there's 4 of us moving in and i think we've narrowed it down between barrowmills and milbrook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

barrowmills is a no no

RealistSpy wrote: »
    barrowmills is a no no

any reasons why? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

there's 4 of us moving in and i think we've narrowed it down between barrowmills and milbrook

Milbrook is pretty rough, run down and full of immigrants. There was a murder there last year. I remember being down there years ago and seeing a fridge flying out a window. Barrowmills is just over the bridge, dont know much about it but it seems alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

hey peeps Barrowmills is fine if you can get a room- usually their all taken by mid sept & only 5mins walk to town centre. but i wouldnt giv Landlords what they are asking for if you can haggle the price- their is hundreds of Apts,ensuite,Double,Single,twin rooms available around carlow Now- so if you can save €5 or €10 a wk on rent albeit (its better in your pocket that theirs)
    www.Daft.ie/carlow :)

Advertisement