Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2006 diesel - A3, 1-series, or Civic?

• 30-07-2009 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Motor tax is NOT an issue as the car will be in NI.

The contenders are:
    A3 1.9 TDI
    BMW 120d
    Civic 2.2 iCTDi

What and why?

Which 2006 diesel? 24 votes

A3 1.9 TDI
    0% 0 votes
    BMW 120d
    58% 14 votes
    Civic 2.2 iCTDi
    41% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

Civic is an awesome car. Get the Type S model, it looks the ****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

The A3 is an overpriced golf with a tractor engine. IMO you need bad eye sight to appreciate the bmw's looks (and although not an issue for me) the leg room in rear is a bit of a joke.

None of the above applies to the civic. I'd say its the cheapest too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Alfa 147 1.9jtd preferably the 170bhp ducati special. The civic looks ****e, the a3 is an overpriced seat, the BMW will be poverty spec and have no go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The options are the three above only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Civic for me. No real technical reasons, just think it's a cracking car. Neither the Audi or the BMW do much for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

While i actually dont mind the VAG 1.9 as much bs a lot of people do its not a patch on the other two engines here. I test drove a civic diesel not too long ago and the engine is excellent. Really loved a lot about that car but i couldn't live with the noisy suspension or the road noise. It felt like there was no sound insulation in it. Radio would fix it but it suprised me that they missed something relatively simple. Based on that i'd go for the 120d which has at least as good an engine, is nicer to drive but i bit small in the back due to its rear drive layout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

<3 the Civic. I've had a petrol one for 2 years now. They're generally very well specced (except for the 1.4s). Like EPM said, they're noisy at speed but you have the benefit of massive rear legroom (I'm 6ft 1in and I can set behind the drivers' seat when its in my usual position without putting my knees in my face) and rear seats that fold totally flat. Well they do in the 5 door ones anyway, not sure about the Type-S.

I'd go and buy a spare wheel for it if it doesn't have one, as they weren't standard and the electric compressor + bottle of gunk solution sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

JHMEG wrote: »

The contenders are:
    TDI
    d
    iCTDi

Are you feeling OK? Need a lie down or anything??

Civic all the way I reckon. Nicest looking and most technically superior, and probably the most reliable by a long ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I'd go for the BMW tbf.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote: »
    Are you feeling OK? Need a lie down or anything??
    LOL! Not for me I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

I don't like the Civic, I think it looks awful.
    I quite like the 1 series BMW. 120D would be quick and a smart handler.
    The A3....sorry, old hat.
    My2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

120d would be the best handler no question, but it looks so terrible and is poor value in every other respect that I'd have to rule it out. So Civic for me. The interior is the best part! And get one in black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

None of the above :(

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Number Nine

A3 TDI 90 bhp will get you 55/60 mpg , good resale value , cheap to service and is a good all round car .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭sk8board

A3 TDI 90 bhp will get you 55/60 mpg , good resale value , cheap to service and is a good all round car .

well yes and no. Its like asking which shade of beige do you want to paint your kitchen.

I can't imagine anything I'd rather less than the spec you mention above.

mpg: you're right
    good all round car: yep, sure

as for the good resale, its only a myth; the sellers have completely over-inflated idea of what their A3 is worth, moreso than any other car on the planet.

I'm in the market for a car, and while I would consider an A3, it would only be the 2.0, purely so that I can get it sold on the other end. It defies belief why someone would overpay for an A3 with a 1.9 90hp, before they veer off and just pay the same price for an A4, with better resale potential

to sum up: the A3 will cost you too much for the engine you don't want, and won't have any resale value. Either of the other 2 are streets ahead, and will always find a buyer (in the 1series case, its only the 120d that will have resale value).

the civic with that engine will be easy buy & sell, with a big spec, and an inside to put a smile on your face.

sk8board wrote: »
    the civic with that engine will be easy buy & sell, with a big spec, and an inside to put a smile on your face.
    I would also be thinking that the Civic puts out 140bhp, which is over 50% more than the A3.

That's gonna be hugely more resposive and easier to drive, whilst still returning 55mpg combined (official).

Almost positive the base 1.9 TDI A3 comes with 105 bhp as standard. But will stand corrected.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Almost positive the base 1.9 TDI A3 comes with 105 bhp as standard. But will stand corrected.....

Do you know I think that just doesnt cut it anymore in a car of that so called calibre. 120 - 130 must surely be the entry level at this stage. Even boggo vans nearly have this amount of power these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The newer shape probably has the 1.9 with 100 and 130 options. The 105 in the newer 1.9 wasn't in too many cars, only around recently enough. I'd say brand new the options are 2 litre only, in 110, 140 and 170. The old one up to 01 at least would have been 90 and 110. Probably 100 and 130 from 02 on. Either way it's not great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

No contest Civic 2.2 iCTDi, as car is in NI tax is not an issue..

sk8board wrote: »
    well yes and no. Its like asking which shade of beige do you want to paint your kitchen.

I can't imagine anything I'd rather less than the spec you mention above.

mpg: you're right
    good all round car: yep, sure

as for the good resale, its only a myth; the sellers have completely over-inflated idea of what their A3 is worth, moreso than any other car on the planet.

I'm in the market for a car, and while I would consider an A3, it would only be the 2.0, purely so that I can get it sold on the other end. It defies belief why someone would overpay for an A3 with a 1.9 90hp, before they veer off and just pay the same price for an A4, with better resale potential

to sum up: the A3 will cost you too much for the engine you don't want, and won't have any resale value. Either of the other 2 are streets ahead, and will always find a buyer (in the 1series case, its only the 120d that will have resale value).

I had a Audi A3tdi for three years and from my experience , I can only tell you that I had no complaints and I covered 80000 miles.
    The only experience I have of the civic is a test drive . I found only one big problem and that was the drivers seat dose not go far enough back . As for the BMW , overrated , overpriced and their dealership's are to expensive for regular servicing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You must be a giant or something, I have loads of room in my Civic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 larrytom

a3 by a mile

larrytom wrote: »
    a3 by a mile

But the OP also wants to know why

Stephen wrote: »
    You must be a giant or something, I have loads of room in my Civic?

I am no giant (6ft)
    I just like the drivers seat back full .
    The result is that some driver seats just do not go back far enough .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

But the OP also wants to know why

I'd be interested as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Civic Civic Civic

All around, hands down. I've an Accord but know people with the Civic who are very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The 1 Series is growing on me. 177bhp with RWD in a car that size would be pretty nice. I've driven a 118d which was very good, and from the drivers seat exactly like a 3 series. The rear leg room is a joke though, even behind me and I sit fairly close to the pedals (for "feel" like, I'm not short or anything).

I drove a Petrol Civic last year. Handled well, but I'm not a huge fan of the 2.2d engine in the Honda, just never seems as quick as it should be.

The A3 1.9Tdi is not even playing the same sport, yet alone in the same ballpark as the other 2. If it were a 2.0Tdi 170 Quattro then I'd consider it, 1.9Tdi - hell no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

I'd go for the BMW or Honda. Both are modern cars. The sister had a 06' A3 but she saw sense after a while and now drives a fiesta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Alfa 147 1.9jtd preferably the 170bhp ducati special. The civic looks ****e, the a3 is an overpriced seat, the BMW will be poverty spec and have no go...

Eh dont know where you get that from.
    BMW 120d 0-60 7.6 s (I think 06 Model is 163 bhp and same engine as 3 series albeit tuned differently, anyone confirm?)
    Audi A3 1.9TDi 0-60 11.3 s
    Honda Civic 2.2 iCTDi 0-60 8.3 s
    Alfa 147 1.9 JTDm 16V Ducati Corse Q2 3d 0-60 7.7 s

1 series might not look great but its much better than the other two for speed and handling imo.
    Whatever your choice make sure it has stability control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

You'd have to rule out the A3 straight away. Why? Although it's easily the best looking it's got an outdated, noisy albeit reliable engine, the resale value isn't that good at all and the only reason they're so expensive second hand is because they were too expensive new. I can never understand why people continually fail to grasp such a basic concept. The car doesn't have good resale value, it's just a rip off! Better off buying a mark V Golf and pocketing the change.

The Beemer looks dreadful and to be honest I'd feel a bit silly in one. If you really have to have an overrated BMW just buy a proper 3 series and be done with it. Rear wheel drive is a boon if you can handle it at the limit but 99% of people can't so it's not really a deal breaker either way. Good power though.

I'd go for the Honda of the three although I'm no fan of the looks; it's trying too hard and ends up looking ugly and dated. It's a good drive though with a lovely interior and should be reliable, economical and have genuinely decent resale value.

Subaru Impreza diesel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

I have a civic type S which I got a few weeks ago.Easily described in one word...fantastic. It has virtually the same performance as the 2.2 diesel which is simply an amazing car all round.
    Just test drive the models you are considering but I think this is an easy choice...civic all the way.
    Search Youtube for video footage of each model, I found the videos very useful.

Specs for all the cars here...http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Default.aspx#

Advertisement