Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inadequate quantity - Vodka.

Options
  • 30-07-2009 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I bought a 700ml bottle of Wyborowa vodka the other day and only noticed when I got home that it didn't seem to be adequately full.

Have a look at this properly filled bottle: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/WYBOROWA_WÓDKA.jpg

After stopping by the shop I noticed all the other wyborowa bottles were filled as above. Mine was down to just barely above the start of the neck.

Bit unprofessional don't you think? You'd think the company would have better quality standards... I know I didn't get ripped off by much, and it's nice vodka.. but that's almost a shots worth there.. Bit p*ssed off tbh. I don't buy vodka often, and when I do I want every bit I am paying for, as I go through it quite fast.

I'll be paying closer attention to the bottles from now on. Most of you probably won't be nearly as picky as me but let me know if you've also had considerably less than you should have gotten (specifically with this brand).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Well bring it back if it is not opened, that would be like getting a box of bottles and noticing one is missing before you open it. It might have leaked out and might be a dodgy cap which has exposed the spirits to air (not that it will effect it much healthwise, but I have heard some spirit tasters saying they can taste a difference if a bottle was opened).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hendrix89 wrote: »
    I know I didn't get ripped off by much
    Did you check how much vodka was in the bottle, ie were you ripped off at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

rubadub wrote: »
    Well bring it back if it is not opened, that would be like getting a box of bottles and noticing one is missing before you open it. It might have leaked out and might be a dodgy cap which has exposed the spirits to air (not that it will effect it much healthwise, but I have heard some spirit tasters saying they can taste a difference if a bottle was opened).
    The bottle was not opened. I have already opened it now so bringing it back is not an option. I am certain it was not opened (before I opened it of course) as I heard the seal break when opening it.

I have had it in the freezer for two days now (opening and closing the bottle) and there is no sign that it is leaking (ie. level dropped).

I have had it in the freezer for two days now (opening and closing the bottle) and there is no sign that it is leaking (ie. level dropped).
    Right, so did you notice it had dropped BEFORE it went in the freezer, you do realise it will contract in volume in the freezer so 700ml @20C will have less volume @ say -10C.

This effect can be quite dramatic looking, especially in narrow bottle necks with little volume per mm length.

Right, so did you notice it had dropped BEFORE it went in the freezer, you do realise it will contract in volume in the freezer so 700ml @20C will have less volume @ say -10C.

This effect can be quite dramatic looking, especially in narrow bottle necks with little volume per mm length.
    Ah.. As a matter of fact I did have it in the freezer (-18C) overnight before I noticed the level the following day.

So I assume this is the cause then? I never noticed this when storing vodka in the freezer before. I guess I just wasn't paying attention.

• Advertisement

So I assume this is the cause then?
    Yep, even more dramatic the stronger it is. I had a bottle filled cold and when it warmed up it leaked out the top it was so full.
    I never noticed this when storing vodka in the freezer before.
    If it is already opened the effect is hardly noticeable. Say 700ml reduces to 650ml when frozen, then a full bottle will drop 50ml, in the neck this could be an inch. When half full it is only dropping 25ml, now when half full the bottle is much wider so that same inch height is not 50ml anymore, so the effect is barely noticeable.

So if your pub stores vodka in the freezer insist on a shot of it, you get more!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

But the glass should also shrink too and so decrease in internal volume. So it depends on the relative differenc ebetween the thermal expansoin curves of the two materials - plus a bit of fancy maths!

enda1 wrote: »
    But the glass should also shrink too and so decrease in internal volume. So it depends on the relative differenc ebetween the thermal expansoin curves of the two materials - plus a bit of fancy maths!
    Too much thinkin', not enough drinkin' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Too much thinkin', not enough drinkin' ;)

I'm actually slightly hungover (but for the first time in a couple of months!).

So you're half right ;)

I didn't want to make a new thread for this so I'll post it here.

I'm starting to think there's a problem with my freezer because my vodka is constantly freezing when I have drunk a certain amount of it. It happens all the time and this bottle has just recently frozen on me as well.. I use to drink only Finlandia vodka, and thought it may have just been that particular brand that was the problem, but now that this brand has frozen solid on me I guess it can only be the freezer?? Maybe fluctuating temperatures do you think?

And before you ask, there's no way my vodka has ever been diluted with water because I live alone.

If it is just my freezer causing it to freeze then would that mean that the vodka would survive untainted?

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Hi Hendrix, I normally drink Smirnoff and leave it in my freezer too, no probs.
    Last time I went to the offy, they didn't have any, so I bought Boru vodka.
    Within the hour in the freezer, it was frozen solid:mad::mad:
    Smirnoff alcohol content;40% Boru;38.5%
    Am puzzled, prolly won't buy it again tbh.

Thanks for letting me know staker. Although this brand (wyborowa), as well as my previous brand which also froze, is 40%... I'm just really confused and frustrated as well, mostly because I don't know if this is affecting the quality of my vodka. Any more thoughts anyone?

Btw, I always make sure the bottle is very, very tight every time I return it to the freezer.

And before you ask, there's no way my vodka has ever been diluted with water because I live alone.
    I was thinking that, since every time I ever saw frozen strong spirits it was diluted. I have had my brother & flatmates swear blind they did not dilute it, well I have an alcoholmeter which I believe more than them, and they probably would not have diluted it if they knew I had it.

I have had captain morgans go slushy, which I think is 35%.

You said it froze SOLID, I have never seen this. I doubt it affects it in any way, but another test for dilution is see if it is still flammable.

I was thinking that, since every time I ever saw frozen strong spirits it was diluted. I have had my brother & flatmates swear blind they did not dilute it, well I have an alcoholmeter which I believe more than them, and they probably would not have diluted it if they knew I had it.

I have had captain morgans go slushy, which I think is 35%.

You said it froze SOLID, I have never seen this. I doubt it affects it in any way, but another test for dilution is see if it is still flammable.
    Sorry I guess frozen solid was not the best way to describe it. More like a slushy sort of state, with some liquid unfrozen. And by the way I remember the vodka actually defrosted (returned to it's liquid state) completely within a very short space of time (1 hour at the most).

I'll try the flammable test then. May as well.

I remember the vodka actually defrosted (returned to it's liquid state) completely within a very short space of time (1 hour at the most).
    Yes, it should have been very close to the liquid state if it was slushy so probably only needed a short time to hit the higher temp needed. The other thing is that alcohol and water have quite different thermal properties. If you put a litre of pure alcohol in a kettle it would get to say 70C about 4 times faster than water. It also takes less energy to cool it, so it will warm up quite a bit faster than a cold bottle of water would too.

My own personal test is usually just taste! I can taste a distinct difference once it drops below the 37.5-40%. Far less "sharp".

Just to say, I've had the bottle in a different (older and more basic) freezer for a day now and it hasn't frozen. This freezer obviously doesn't get as cold then (although there is no temperature indicator on it). Cold enough though as the bottle has frost around and is nice and cold.

I'm guessing the problem was with the new freezer then.

Advertisement