Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunday Papers - could you really be bothered?

• 30-07-2009 4:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Over the last few months I've realised more and more often that the less i get these papers, how much better I'm off.
    * My head and eyes isn't flashed with further weekend unless celeb junk (both in the paper and glossy "Free" mag). I don't give a fcuk about Jorden, Britney or Big Brother!
    * I'm not missing out on the really important news due to the news websites and my direct ability to chose individual specific articles.
    * I'm not adding to the household pile of papers to be thrown out
    * ...and I'm saving a few euro's too!

...to name a few conclusions.

Can we live without the weekend junk? Actually - can we live without news papers at all when at this stage, by the time you get the paper the next day, what your reading can be seriously old news within any 24 hour news cycle?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I've bought a newspaper. The likes of the sun have absolutely nothing at all worth reading in them and just upset me whenever I read them at other peoples houses.

All you get off them is bad news, they try to make out the world is an awful place when it's not really, they go out of their way to find every bit of bad news going which gives a completely unbalanced view of the world.

Everyone would be much happier if they stopped reading newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I live for the Sunday Tribune. No interest in any of those glossy magazine bits, but their News, Sport and Weekend Review supplements are what get me out of bed on a sunday morning. It's just not the same reading them on the internet than it is sitting down with a nice cup of tea and the newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i only ever buy a newspaper the day after a football match when i want to read the analysis.

sometimes i'd flick through the papers at someone elses house but i always end up regretting it, it's usually mindless junk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 tommyfitz

Sunday Independent has turned into a real rag. Gene Kerrigan is the only intelligent writer they have. The rest of them all spout the same rubbish, especially that Eoghan Harris idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I now rely on AH for all my news needs. much better and unbiased reporting of issues :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Life is so much easier when you don't have sky news and can't read the tabloids... ahhh, bliss.

Web news, ftw.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'd only read local papers. Anything large enough to be in a national paper will likely be on the web, and therefore in AH at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I still buy the Sunday Times occassionally - takes me about a week to read it :p but stick to news and Vincent Browne otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I only consider the Irish Times, and at a push the indo (though it is fast becoming toilet paper) as actual papers. The rest are just trash, dunno how anyone could subject themselves to such nonsense. The Tribune and Sunday Times (a bit meh most of the time though) are the only two sunday papers worth reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Sometimes I buy them but mostly I regret it. The Sunday Times is ok but its mostly British news. I think with the availability of the likes of irishurls.com you are reading stories at 3 or 4 pm on Wednesday which are the headline newspaper stories on Thursday. Also nothing ever happens at the weekend news wise. I mean did you ever see the RTE news on Saturday or Sunday its farcical. I mean just beacuse Ennis has a one legged emu called stumpy leading its annual lovely girls parade doesnt mean its suitable for viewing when there is nothing else to fill your 30 minute slot. Just finish up early Anne.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I used to buy the sunday times for years up until about 2 years back...mainly for the culture, motoring and news review sections and for the crosswords...but they kept on pushing up the price and kept on cutting the quality of their journalism...and filled the paper with more and more ads so I just quit buying it. I browse their website the odd time of a sunday afternoon but it's not the same as reading the paper/supplement.

If you're referring to comics like NOTW or the Sunday World...I liertally wouldn't wipe my arse or light the fire with them. Anyone that buys or reads them deserves all they get.
    Not being elitist here but these homegrown tabloids have an awful lot to answer for as regards their content and how it dictates the morals of the country at large and the incessant demand for celeb goss and UK soccer coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

The Sunday Independent is utter ****e. Barry Egan and Aengus Fanning are perverted old men, and Niamh Horan is an attention seeking idiot. Granted, Gene Kerrigan is ok.

The Sunday Tribune is much better, it actually has articles that are about something other than Bertie Ahern, Sex or Katy French. The Sindo were the ones who made her 'famous'.

Ok, Rant over. so yes, I could live without them, but I do like reading the Tribune relaxing with a cup of tea on a sunday afternoon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

am on day 14 of a holiday, currently having pleasant theraphy on boards in a web cafe. am reading Uk dailies and despair of a balanced read. Times seems the best. I really wonder who their target audience is, but they presumably know what they are doing.

Regards,
    Rugbyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

eh yeah of course, what else am i going to bring into the jax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Like other people in this thread, the only sunday paper worth reading is the tribune, everything else is just painful to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

bothered I read thm online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Heard the Tribune is a good read.

I only ever get the Observer - it's a great read, really good with a coffee on a Sunday afternoon, or with a pint in the evening. Top-notch sport, always a really good article in the magazine, a good digest of what's happened during the week.

The Sindo sickens me, it really does. It has no relevance to my life whatsoever. But for some reason my parents buy it every week.

Sunday World just frightens me about travellers, drug gangs and prostitutes in the apartment next door.

Mail on Sunday just frightens me about immigrants, European integration, and the hardship Katie Price goes through.

Observer ftw. Sunday Times is good too, but I usually just get the Observer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Examiner and the Times during the week, Tribune and sindo sport on Sundays, not at all bothered for any other paper except for the local ones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭camero

there gone into some joke now i dont whent to no who is sagging who

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Reading the Tabloids and the more upmarket newspapers online is much cheaper and saves the clutter and bother of recycling paper, yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I never buy newspapers, I just read them online. Why buy them when you can read the news online for free :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

ScumLord wrote: »
    The likes of the sun have absolutely nothing at all worth reading in them and just upset me whenever I read them at other peoples houses.
    And whatever is worth reading in it can be read in under a minute in the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I think newspapers are going to move online.

The main problem with online news sources is their credibility. Newspapers (well, some of them!) have established a reasonably good reputation over the years and so people are willing to trust news from them online. Most of the best news sites online are run by newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

I now rely on AH for all my news needs. much better and unbiased reporting of issues :pac:
    +1 on that:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I stopped buying the Sundays ages ago and read online instead. I found the paper versions too bulky, and they really clutter up the room. Also, most of the articles are regurgitated rubbish. If I want a glossy magazine, I buy a proper one because they're far superior to the Sunday paper glossies.

So, no - I could nae be bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes Tribune good and Times has some good opinion pieces on Tuesday. Letters pages in Times also good for opinions and Irishman's diary throws up some interesting articles. End of the day very important to know whats going on around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

tommyfitz wrote: »
    Sunday Independent has turned into a real rag. Gene Kerrigan is the only intelligent writer they have. The rest of them all spout the same rubbish, especially that Eoghan Harris idiot.

Eoghan Harris.
    /shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

a left winger , eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

markesmith wrote: »
    Heard the Tribune is a good read.

I only ever get the Observer - it's a great read, really good with a coffee on a Sunday afternoon, or with a pint in the evening. Top-notch sport, always a really good article in the magazine, a good digest of what's happened during the week.

The Sindo sickens me, it really does. It has no relevance to my life whatsoever. But for some reason my parents buy it every week.

Sunday World just frightens me about travellers, drug gangs and prostitutes in the apartment next door.

Mail on Sunday just frightens me about immigrants, European integration, and the hardship Katie Price goes through.

Observer ftw. Sunday Times is good too, but I usually just get the Observer.

nice liberal young man :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Are you trying to imply that Eoghan Harris is not, in fact, an idiot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Stephen wrote: »
    Are you trying to imply that Eoghan Harris is not, in fact, an idiot?

Is that to me?

What's not to get.
    Eoghan Harris makes me shudder.
    You can infer from that yes imho he is an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

irish_bob wrote: »
    a left winger , eh
    irish_bob wrote: »
    nice liberal young man :)

Who...?

tommyfitz?
    tech77?
    Gene Kerrigan?
    Jesus?
    Eoghan Harris?
    markesmith?

Up with this kind of thing!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I used to read the business and appointments every week in the Independent.

Now I just roll up the 4 pages that are left and twat myself in the face for not working harder in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

i feel if i don't get my newspapers and my coffee on a Sunday morning
    it's not Sunday....or something like that :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Used to read one or two papers every day(but wouldn't line my dog's bed with the red tops) and now couldn't be arsed unless they're handing them out free in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Only read The Sunday Times at the weekend, Irish Examiner during the week, the Sindo is most definitely worse than The Sun. Reading the paper online just isn't right. Pints of water and the Sunday Times, job.

If I ever see Barry Egan in the street I'm gonna kick him in his stupid ginger gutter journalist head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'd like it if you could buy the various parts of the Sunday newspapers separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I hardly ever buy the Sunday papers; I just read them online - Observer, Sunday Times and NOTW (but only for Mystic Meg:o)

The Sindo magazine just kisses ass for all the South County Dublin types - as if we're expected to know who half these Dumbdrummy airheads are, loike.

stovelid wrote: »
    I'd like it if you could buy the various parts of the Sunday newspapers separately.
    think they had some ad on tv a few years ago. Where a guy went into shop and just took out all the various supplements from papers and paid for them as if they were just the one paper. Anyone remember what it was again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I used to buy 3 or four kilos of newsprint every Sunday but only would read about 5% of it. They're too big and bulky for our twittery electronic age. Now I'm middle-age I don't really care too much whether I'm ill-informed about what goes on in the world, a lot of the time I'd rather not know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

The standard of Sunday papers has gone down a lot in recent years. Most of them at this stage have been bought out by British newspapers and are the same with the obligatory bit of GAA thrown in. Why should i or anyone else in Ireland give a **** about what Prince Harry and other British nonentities do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Since I got my "Kindel" and able to download just the news that I want, its an absolute godsend. (That and my Sony reader for books too).

Its also hopefully helping to cut down on my paper wastage per week.
    Must save the the trees!

The Sunday papers for me is tired old news. I can live without them.

Biggins wrote: »
    Since I got my "Kindel" and able to download just the news that I want, its an absolute godsend. (That and my Sony reader for books too).

Its also hopefully helping to cut down on my paper wastage per week.
    Must save the the trees!

The Sunday papers for me is tired old news. I can live without them.
    Think about it the weekend papers are better because writers have more time to write their pieces. And also you get a review of the week aswell. Bit sweeping to call Sunday papers tired old news. As mentioned by other posters Tribune is a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

I normally buy the sunday times and the sunday independant but it takes the whole day to read them.

I don't know why I bother getting that sunday indo - i work for the public service and end up feeling like i've committed a heinous crime after i've read through the paper - its only gene kerrigan that lifts my spirits at the end.

I must try the sunday tribune instead tomorrow - never got it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This thread, could you really be bothered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

No, I don't read newspapers and I'm often offered to buy some by some (heh heh) persistent newspaper sellers which gets on my goat:

Level 1: "No thanks"
    Level 2 (They deliberately block my path): "Get the fcuk out of my way or you will be sorry"
    Level 3 (They are stubborn and refuse to move or try to block me as I side step them): They hit the ground hard and I make no apologies then or now!

This thread, could you really be bothered?
    yeah its called debating. for or against.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

The Sunday Independent is the worst newspaper in the history of media in this country. It is trash, absolute trash. For some reason countless people say the same thing and then go off and buy it. Harris, Dudley Edwards, Myers and O'Hanlon is all they can pass off as political analysis. As if that was not trashy enough the rest of the paper is full of superficial shallow fake and disconnected airheads - an entire newspaper of Terry Keanes - and others who go with every wave and trend and say things like "All the smart ballsy guys are buying up property now" (in July 2007!, Brendan O Connor: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/the-smart-ballsy-guys-are-buying-up-property-right-now-1047118.html)

The Irish Times, despite its many faults such as the hiring of frivolous former Independent columnists like Miriam Lord, is the only quality newspaper in Ireland. The Sunday Business Post is the best quality of the Sunday papers, but its focus on economic and political analysis is a bit narrow for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The Sunday times is OK. The rest are just garbage of the highest order

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

deisedude wrote: »
    The standard of Sunday papers has gone down a lot in recent years. Most of them at this stage have been bought out by British newspapers and are the same with the obligatory bit of GAA thrown in. Why should i or anyone else in Ireland give a **** about what Prince Harry and other British nonentities do?

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about all that British royalty sh it. Christ, the Sunday Independent is even worse than I thought. I note that Miriam Lord tried to get Irish Times readers interested in the British royal family in one of her first pieces, but the IT received complaints that the tone of the paper was being lowered by former Sunday Independent columnists like her bringing that culture to the more educated IT readers. An awful rag from start to finish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement