Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March in support of Civil Marriage 9th August! DUBLIN!

Options
  • 30-07-2009 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I will be there....will you? Everyone is being asked to bring 10 people, friends, family, etc...There were about 1000 people at the last assembly so for this march they're thinking 10,000 people. Civil Partnerships (CP) doesn't give nearly enough rights to lgb people as they should be! Who's going to the march??
    LGBT NOISE are asking you, your friends, your family and your co-workers to MARCH FOR MARRIAGE in Dublin on Sunday 9th August 2009 @ 1.30pmmarch_for_marriage.pdf.
    The march will gather at Dublin's City Hall, Dame Street, and will end with a rally at the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform on St Stephen's Green.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Daisy D wrote: »
    I will be there....will you? Everyone is being asked to bring 10 people, friends, family, etc...There were about 1000 people at the last assembly so for this march they're thinking 10,000 people. Civil Partnerships (CP) doesn't give nearly enough rights to lgb people as they should be! Who's going to the march??

Still looking for inheritance,huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Is the protest for or against :confused: ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

TarfHead wrote: »
    Is the protest for or against :confused: ???

For (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Against.
    Looking for Gay marriage.
    Yeah I'll be there

Ok, this is confusing.

The march is to promote gay marriage or against gay marriage?.

Personally I'm for equal rights for gay couples, I don't see any difference what so ever between gay people who are in love and wishing to share the lives together and 'straight' people doing the same.

So, whats the march for?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Ok, this is confusing.

Personally I'm for equal rights for gay couples, I don't see any difference what so ever between gay people who are in love and wishing to share the lives together and 'straight' people doing the same.

So, whats the march for?.

The march is for gay marriage.
    As of the now Gay People only have what is called civil partnership which denies them the same rights which single sex married couples have such as inheritence and issues with childern.
    Originally thought of as a stepping stone towards gay marriage, the civil partnership bill was referred to as "as good as it will get" by the Governement, ensuring that same sex couples will never have the same rights as straight couples.

I didn't ask her to "civil partnership" me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Ok, this is confusing.

It's very much for gay marriage / full marriage equality.

If it's against anything, it's against the second-rate 'civil partnership' that we're being told is "good enough". Though there are some in the gay community who think the civil partnership is a fair starting point to marriage equality, I don't think there are any who would be happy with it as a final destination.

This march is for full marriage equality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jeckel

what exactly does marriage offer that these civil partnerships don't, what issues around children, what inheritance issues. can these issues be corrected through other means?

what i mean to ask is, where exactly is the discrimination, like what exactly is being denied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When I read the thread title I thought it was a protest to stop it being introduced.

Seems I was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Yixian

Gay marriage is one of those things fighting for is, for the time being, going to be an uphill struggle, but one of those uphill struggles that can actually be achieved. It might take many protests and campaigns but if it can be done in the States, it can be done in Ireland. Go for it!

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »
    It's very much for gay marriage / full marriage equality.

Excellent, I hope it achieves its goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

mikemac wrote: »
    When I read the thread title I thought it was a protest to stop it being introduced.

Seems I was wrong

Yeah, me too, it's not very clear

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

While on a personal level I am completely and utterly against this, we live in a democracy and it's time the government and its antiquated laws that are so closely allied to the Catholic church were given a good hiding. You can't say that some other practices relating to the church should be abolished yet also fail to support this. Everyone is entitled to their choice at the end of the day AS LONG as children don't come into it - but I wont entertain that argument, it's been done to death.

Anyone for that reason, best of luck.

OP I've edited the title of the thread.

Advertisement