Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Not Drinking

Options
  • 30-07-2009 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm a bit worried about how much my cat is drinking. I rarely see her drink and don't notice any change in the water level when I refresh it (frequently). Her urine is also quite strong smelling and dark, like a dehydrated human's would be, but don't know if that is applicable to cats. She's an indoor cat so she's not drinking elsewhere.

Anyone have a similar experience or know how much she *should* be drinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What sort of food does she eat? If it is dry (as it should be to be honest) then you might want to worry a little but if it is canned food then there is plenty of water in that.

you know the whole two litres of water per day thing for humans? That is including what we get from food and there is quite a lot of water in food so we do not need to actually drink two litres of water a day. Also tea, coffee etc all adds up so we do not need to drink that much water ourselves. If we just ate cereal all day though, we would need a lot of water.
    It is the same with cats.
    Dry food = plenty of water + healthier teeth.
    wet food = not a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Chitterchatter

I can't recommend a water fountain highly enough. It keeps the water circulating and the constant streaming noise makes an association of 'fresh' water in a cat's mind. It has improved my cats' water intake dramatically. If you are worried you could always have a vet check - better safe than sorry. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

She's on soft food as I had to get all her teeth taken out due to severe peridontal disease (fully recovered now thankfully). She can still eat hard food but unfortunately she wolfs it down too quickly and then throws up so I had to take her off it.

She seems fine and happy and has had frequent vet trips due to her mouth, with a clean bill of health. I saw one of those fountains recently and was wondering if it was a gimmick or actually worthwhile. I might get her one and see if it encourages her to drink more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I definitely recommend the fountains, I got a cheap one from Dunne's for the three cats and both they and the dog moved over to it and never drank from the bowl again. My youngest female will sit there and wait for the water to start flowing (it's on one hour on and one off)!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Cheers, thanks guys, I'll definitely pick up a fountain and see how she gets on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I like the sound of the fountain actually. One of my cats likes to drink from the tap.

Was it in the groceries or home section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Twas nearly two years ago I'm afraid, so they don't have them any more. They started out at 30 quid and were finally sold off at 10, so I don't think they'll be getting them in again somehow...

Zooplus do a range of fountains: http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_bowls_feeders/cat_fountains

I rather fancy this one some day when I'm feeling very rich! http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_bowls_feeders/cat_fountains/146307

Advertisement