Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on signage logo please?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

I have this logo (see attachment), but it's only 62x74 at best, I bought it from istockphoto. I will be using it as part of a sign I will be getting made, the sign will be approx 11 ft x 2.5 ft. The logo will be the only image on the sign, the rest will be text with a gradient in the background, like my sig.

When I enlarge the logo to suit the sign it becomes pixelated, obviously. My question is, how can I stop this happening?, would I need to have the logo redone/redrawn to suit the sign?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

You'll have to go back to istock and buy a bigger version, preferably in eps/vector format

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I sincerely hope you didn't pay for a 4kb gif.

You will have to have one re-drawn, vector art, in eps preferably, so it can be blown up to any size without any loss in quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

The logo is part of these set of icons. I didn't pay for the image, I borrowed it :p.

If I can blow the image up I will purchase it. But can I blow up that image? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

From what I can tell, if you purchase it you'll get Vector images. Which should be scalable.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Purchase the image, get the vector and scale as much as you want. Or, don't purchase it, break copyright law, have a pixelated sign and get hounded by Getty Images, your choice.

Edit: actually, you're not permitted to use any istock file for a logo, so you're breaking their terms as it is. A complete rethink/reinvestment is required.

• Advertisement

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    Edit: actually, you're not permitted to use any istock file for a logo, so you're breaking their terms as it is. A complete rethink/reinvestment is required.
    Can you link me to where it says this on the site?, I just had a quick look at the License options and can't see where it says I'm not permitted to use the image on a sign.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The logo is part of these set of icons. I didn't pay for the image, I borrowed it :p.

If I can blow the image up I will purchase it. But can I blow up that image? :confused:
    You can buy 24 credits (12x2) for 29 euro. You need 15 credits for the set you want.
    Excellent value for something as important as your company signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Or draw something very similar yourself. Its quite a simple drawing.

But yeah, for less than 30 quid, just buy it if you want it. Just be sure the license allows commercial use.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Can you link me to where it says this on the site?, I just had a quick look at the License options and can't see where it says I'm not permitted to use the image on a sign.

Thanks

"4a. Prohibited Uses. You may not do anything with the Content that is not expressly permitted in the preceding section or permitted by anExtended License. For greater certainty, the following are “Prohibited Uses” and you may not: (4) use any of the Content as part of a trade-mark, design-mark, trade-name, business name, service mark, or logo"
    (Quote from http://www.istockphoto.com/license.php)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

You could look at phone icons at IconFinder. Most seem to be GPL.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys you've be very helpful to me :)

I've logged into my istockphoto acc, and got a proper look at the logo I want and it looks good for my sign :)

I've contacted istockphoto in regard to using the icon for my site, signage, business cards etc... As I like the image and want to use it, so I don't mind paying the designer to use it.

Thanks

Hey guys, thanks for the advice above. I contacted a design company 3/4 weeks ago and got a logo designed.

So I'm good to go for my sign as I got the logo in .eps & .ai file types.

Advertisement