Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Europa League, 3rd Rnd, 1st Leg, 30th July

• 30-07-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭

Vėtra|18:00|Fulham
    CSKA Sofia|18:00|Derry
    Steaua|18:45|Motherwell
    Aberdeen|19:45|Sigma
    St Patrick's|19:45|Krylya Sovetov

A potentially long, tough night for both Derry and Pats - both will do very well to avoid defeat. Can't see Pats keeping a clean sheet, but Derry could cause a surprise, what with CSKA still being in pre-season and all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Pats could get a hiding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Pats could get a hiding.
    I think 8/11 is a great price on the Russians, although Jan Koller will need a few thousand Volts before kick off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Derry lost 1-0 away.

Not the worst result in the world, but can't see them winning by two goals in the return leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Nice Result for Derry guys, done the LOI proud with that performance...

They are there for the taking next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Derry lost 1-0 away.

Not the worst result in the world, but can't see them winning by two goals in the return leg.

One goal will do. Penalty drama at Brandywell.

dsmythy wrote: »
    One goal wil do. Penalty drama at Brandywell.

They conceded a goal late in the game tonight. That would point to players tiring or losing concentration towards the end of the match. This would only get worse in extra time.

They did well to get this far, but unfortunately for Derry I reckon they'll only have one more match in Europe this season.

I'll be very happy if I'm proved wrong however.

I'm surprised Pats have gotten to HT at 0-0. Fair dues to them. The beating will probably come in Russia. This is a side in mid-season after all.

Pats 1-0 up according to livescore. What a surprise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

This must be a mistake. Sure everyone knows the quality of LOI is crap and LOI players are headless chickens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

This must be a mistake. Sure everyone knows the quality of LOI is crap and LOI players are headless chickens.

Playing in a tin pot league filled with postmen and butchers...

Come on Pats! Fabio again I presume?

Pats won 1-0.

Great result for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Come on Pats! Fabio again I presume?

yup

full time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

the FAI should pull out all the stops to get them over there in the best shape
    possible for the 2nd leg.

Ecstatic! and no away goal for the Russians too. Pity RTE didn't deem it worth their while to send the outside broadcast unit down to Inchicore for the evening (although it's par for the course these days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Surprised there hasn't been more talk of this. Biggest result for LOI football in years.

Well done Pats and jeff Kenna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

what a ****ing game!!!

they had all the ball but **** all chances, we had **** all of the ball but the best chances. Should have been 2-0 :D

Unbeaten at home in this millenium :cool:

Heard somewhere Gary Dempsey came on as a sub in the second half, good news if he's finally back fit again.

Nice to add another win to the coefficient too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

podge018 wrote: »
    the FAI should pull out all the stops to get them over there in the best shape
    possible for the 2nd leg.

Is there any precedent for the FAI to cancel LOI games to allow teams prepare for European games.

Delighted for pats. Just hope they can do the business next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well done Pats and hard luck to Derry. Seems like 2 very good performances.

Heard somewhere Gary Dempsey came on as a sub in the second half, good news if he's finally back fit again.

Nice to add another win to the coefficient too!

he did and done very well, relaced byrne who is off to shels seemingly as he doesnt like our new assitant manager :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Great result tonight they had loads of possession be we closed down fantasticly most of the time and nearly every shot they had was blocked down.

Pity we cant play that well in the league most of the time but thats for another night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

lads, that second half was deadly! first half was hard to watch now but jeasus i left Inchicore with a huge grin and a hoarse voice :D

great to see dempsey back, he was actually really good when he came on, exactly what we needed. bobby ryan actually turned up too, he's been very much a shadow of a player lately. jay gavin was found out for pace at the beginning of the 2nd and if they weren't diving so often they would have gotten that (stonewall, from our view) peno shout. on the whole, they were all good except \/

a side point i need to get off my chest:
    when is glen fitz gonna give up football? surely somebody has told him he's sh1t. he's our "big" lone striker who can't hold up the ball, cannot read the flight of a ball, and (Guy must be in disbelief looking at him) cannot win a header!

theteal wrote: »

a side point i need to get off my chest:
    when is glen fitz gonna give up football? surely somebody has told him he's sh1t. he's our "big" lone striker who can't hold up the ball, cannot read the flight of a ball, and (Guy must be in disbelief looking at him) cannot win a header!

I never ever slate a player playing for us in our jersey but sometimes i do wonder.......... what the hell is going on in his head. he won nothing in the air he rarely even jumped to win a header, he held up nothing, layed off nothing and thats his normal game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

dreamers75 wrote: »
    he did and done very well, relaced byrne who is off to shels seemingly as he doesnt like our new assitant manager :rolleyes:

Really? Sweeeeeeeeeet, where dya hear that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I never ever slate a player playing for us in our jersey but sometimes i do wonder.......... what the hell is going on in his head. he won nothing in the air he rarely even jumped to win a header, he held up nothing, layed off nothing and thats his normal game.

the whole turnaround in that game tonight was a direct result of getting him as far away from that pitch as possible.

i may be picking on him too much but something extra did annoy me about him tonight; it was a really warm, sunny evening. he knew he was playing up front on his own - which generally requires a bit of chasing down defenders. Why the fook was a slightly over weight sluggish bloke wearing that under armour yoke beneath his jersey? seems idiotic to me

anyway, don't worry about my issues, come on you SUPERSAINTS!

DSB wrote: »
    Really? Sweeeeeeeeeet, where dya hear that?

As with our new keeper situation its depending on him being replaced by someone.

One of our players told me.

They just showed the goal on TV3 news, Fabio took his chance well. Anyone have any idea what the attendance was like tonight at Richmond?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Great result for Pats. Derry were unlucky but they still have everything to play for.

They just showed the goal on TV3 news, Fabio took his chance well. Anyone have any idea what the attendance was like tonight at Richmond?

bollox watching RTE thing they had it.

2730 at it, we had to give them 300 tickets and they used 30, the irish russians moved into their end and sang CSKA songs :confused::P:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Great result from Pats. People say the summer football gives the Irish teams an advantage but the Russians couldn't use that excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

another woeful night in europe for scottish clubs.

The gap is closing, rapidly.

Eirebear wrote: »
    another woeful night in europe for scottish clubs.

The gap is closing, rapidly.

aww come on, your nowhere near us :D:pac:

Rovers and Dundalk next season our best hopes, so you may gain on us :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

aww come on, your nowhere near us :D:pac:

Rovers and Dundalk next season our best hopes, so you may gain on us :(

lol, without the Old Firm there really isnt that much of a difference any more.

And lets face it, the Old firm are more than capable of disasterous euro results....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Fair play lads.

Fingers crossed.
    Eirebear wrote: »
    lol, without the Old Firm there really isnt that much of a difference any more.

Aye, I know it was only a friendly, but Hibs were poor against Rovers on Monday. I don't watch the SPL much, and was a little surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Great result for Pats. Derry were unlucky but they still have everything to play for.
    Well done Pats. Derry still there. (Sob).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Unless he's going to play for free.

Also, we have a million midfielders already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

No surprise about it
    Should have been 2 or 3 to the Saints

We'll be up again it next week away

Des wrote: »
    Unless he's going to play for free.

Also, we have a million midfielders already.

He doesnt like John Carroll seemingly after the treatment he:rolleyes: got at Drogs, yeah i laughed too. if its not done tonight by midnight he aint gong anywhere and will continue to go tru the motions with us till season ends.

With Dempsey (best midfielder in the league ) back byrne is a decent backup. How odd considering he was one of the best players to ever play in LOI now due to his recent performances/antics he is a good back up :confused:

Russian fans on our forum slating us before the macth during the match and now after the match, a touch of the elfsborg about them.

Winning/ Drawing over there will be the greatest result in LOI history, i seriously doubt it will happen they are a very very good team who assumed showing up was enough to beat us. What is needed over there is a big ask for us i dont see it happening and a Zimbru type scoreline could be on the cards.

in saying that we will lose to Dundalk on Sunday then beat Ruskies and lose to bray, its been that kind of season :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭radiospan

3pm kickoff Irish time today.

I don't think it's on TV anywhere. It's listed on Rojadirecta alright, but no links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Best of luck today to Pat's and Derry. Keep the flag flying.

plazzTT wrote: »
    3pm kickoff Irish time today.

I don't think it's on TV anywhere. It's listed on Rojadirecta alright, but no links.

I'll be keeping an eye on the Uefa Cup site

Have a bad feeling about today

Anyone know if either of these matches are being streamed?

How long can Pats hold out?:o

Wishing them well anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Any streams up yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭radiospan

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Any streams up yet?

Can't find any. I don't think this is even on TV at all.

Any radio commentary?

Good luck St. Pat's!

EDIT: Seems the UEFA.com match tracker has minute by minute text commentary: http://www.uefa.com/Live/Competitions/uefacup/MatchCentreLight/matchday=-3/day=2/match=2000667/index.html

Brilliant so far from us. Was vital not to conceed early
    Another 64mins for another great great night in the Europe for the Super Saints

If they managed to get through....still very early, it would be up there as Irelands best result ever in Europe.

I've jinxed it now.

Ya just did ya langer

• Advertisement
Advertisement