Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Europa League, 3rd Rnd, 1st Leg, 30th July

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Big Ears

When is the draw and is it seeded to protect the "bigger" clubs or is it a random draw?

All qualifying draws and any group stages in Uefa competitions are always seeded.

We won't know the full extent of who Pats could play until after tonight, however there are some potential big names about(Roma, PSV etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

djpbarry wrote: »
    Nope, another round, termed the 'play-offs'. Plenty of big guns in there.

all the big guns are there

its the first round proper

nobody qualifies for the group stage automatically, everyone has to play the knock out round first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Doesn't matter how many extra teams are added unless the draw is seeded. If it's not seeded then they could get lucky with the draw and get one of the other teams who came through this round.

Doesn't matter how many extra teams are added unless the draw is seeded. If it's not seeded then they could get lucky with the draw and get one of the other teams who came through this round.

it is seeded

doesnt mean they wont get a favourable draw though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

RTE will surely have to televise the next round. If they don't, they are even more of a disgrace than I already thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Big Ears wrote: »
    All qualifying draws and any group stages in Uefa competitions are always seeded.
    Pat's will inherit the Russian teams seeding though, right?

RTE will surely have to televise the next round. If they don't, they are even more of a disgrace than I already thought.

they said on mns a few weeks ago they couldnt afford the qualifiers, but they would feature it from the first round on if irish teams made it through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭radiospan

They have to. Although I've a feeling it'll depend on whether they draw Aston Villa or FC Amkar Perm...

nope

not as far as i understand, each round has the top coefficient teams seeded and the rest unseeded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Fantastic result, well done Pats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sd08

Wouldn't matter anyway, Sovetov wouldn't have been seeded for the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Well done Pats, that is a truly remarkable achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Fair play Pats!

Let's hope you get a decent draw (by that I mean a team not very far away which would attract a very good gate, if you know what I mean. "Who said anything about a stool?":D) in the next round

That only happens when the draw is made before the games have been played, and as someone pointed out Sovetov wouldn't have been seeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Good on youse, Pats. Super result.

Makes your league form all the more unfathomable.

Good luck to the hardy-hars too. If the same teams turns up as in Tallaght last Sunday, you have more than a fighting chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sd08

In case anybody forgot amongst all the excitement of the Pats' result, Derry are also playing tonight, and they too have a chance of progressing, trailing 1-0 from last week. Kick-off is 7 o'clock, I think.
    Could we have two teams in the draw for tomorrow?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I cant believe that really happened, our little club just got the biggest result in its history and it was a defeat :D

Now to mac dowells to savour the immenseseseseses of what just happened.

Fabio you ****ing legend :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just saw result on SSN there...excellent one. Best of luck to Derry now for later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

That is absolutely amazing stuff. Well done Pat's! :D

• Advertisement

sd08 wrote: »
    In case anybody forgot amongst all the excitement of the Pats' result, Derry are also playing tonight, and they too have a chance of progressing, trailing 1-0 from last week. Kick-off is 7 o'clock, I think.
    Could we have two teams in the draw for tomorrow?:eek:

How about Pats V Derry in play-off? Not sure if that would be possible with seedings. Then we'd be guaranteed a LOI team in the group stage.:)

How about Pats V Derry in play-off? Not sure if that would be possible with seedings. Then we'd be guaranteed a LOI team in the group stage.:)

teams from the same country cant play each other, and both will have to play against a seeded team

Helix wrote: »
    teams from the same country cant play each other

They're not from the same country :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fair play to Pats. Great result and Ireland will now jump aboard the bandwagon

Fair play to Pats. Great result and Ireland will now jump aboard the bandwagon

Have Juventus joined our league :P

stovelid wrote: »
    Have Juventus joined the Irish league?

Don't think so, but it'd be a great way for the Irish League to catch up with the League of Ireland.

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote: »
    Don't think so, but it'd be a great way for the Irish League to catch up with the League of Ireland.

Damn, ninja edit breakdown. :D

They're not from the same country :pac:

hahaha nicely done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Hope they get a big foreign team in the next round, wouldn't normally bother with the LoI myself, but if there is going to be some decent players coming here to Ireland I will have to make the trip up, nothing like seeing the best players in the flesh me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Hope they get a big foreign team in the next round, wouldn't normally bother with the LoI myself, but if there is going to be some decent players coming here to Ireland I will have to make the trip up, nothing like seeing the best players in the flesh me thinks

Trolling?:rolleyes:

Trolling?:rolleyes:

So why bother responding? Poor chap didn't get a response in the waterford thread so came in here looking for a response. Mustn't have got enough hugs as a child.

Anywho, Derry sound like they're struggling...

• Advertisement

Still no goal at Brandywell.

Game over, sofia scored.

0-1 to Bulgarians

Derry need 3.

I'm hearing Pats are in a pot with Man city, Aston Villa, Ajax, Benfica or Lazio?

Much as I would like to see them play City or Villa, the sight of Irish barstoolers is too much for me to take.

Derry scored by the way.

1-1 now.

Need 2 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Come on Derry, think of the co-efficients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I'm hearing Pats are in a pot with Man city, Aston Villa, Ajax, Benfica or Lazio?

Much as I would like to see them play City or Villa, the sight of Irish barstoolers is too much for me to take.

Derry scored by the way.

Would like them to get Benfica, least lucrative of the lot.

DSB wrote: »
    Would like them to get Benfica, least lucrative of the lot.

All would be good money spinners.

By the way I think it's everton rather than man city as I don't think city are in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I really can't believe what Pat's did today. When the draw was made, i didn't think we'd do it. But last week, when Fabio scored right in front of me, i went mental It always gave us a chance, but at three down this afternoon, i thought that was it. Then suddenly, we all took a trip to Crazyville.

Fabio really is a legend!!! The Torres of Inchicore!!!!

Go on you Super Saints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Pity to see Derry go out but at least they did so with a draw. Every bit helps when it comes to the coefficient. With less that 20 minutes to go it's looking like Steaua are going to beat Motherwell home and away so bad news for Scotland's numbers.

Edit: Motherwell lost 3-1 on the night so they got beaten 6-1 on aggregate while Aberdeen went out 8-1 overall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Could'nt believe it when i heard about the Pats match. A fantastic result for them and the league as a whole. Maybe the Russians might be a bit more respectful to Irish teams in the future.

I'm sorry to see Derry go out but a 2-1 loss on aggregate is'nt anything to be ashamed of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

For a list of perspective opponents for St. Pats see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009-10_UEFA_Europa_League

They could be drawn against Villa, Everton, Fulham or even Roma! :eek:

Hard luck Derry. Good show all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

I suppose there will be no chance the next match will be played in Inchicore.

Depends, what if they draw Fulham like? Or even Everton, they're hardly gonna host those at Croker or Landsowne.

Depends, what if they draw Fulham like? Or even Everton, they're hardly gonna host those at Croker or Landsowne.

For once, I'd like to see the home side get stuck into the visiting team in closer (home) surrounds with a big LOI support instead of being lost in a bigger ground.

Give the home supporters dibs on tickets (and then distribute (if) any remaining tickets to other LOI clubs) so you have a vocal LOI crowd and nobody loses out to Irish fans of the visiting team.

As a LOI supporter, I understand how much a bumper gate means if a big team comes though.

stovelid wrote: »
    For once, I'd like to see the home side get stuck into the visiting team in closer (home) surrounds with a big LOI support instead of being lost in a bigger ground.

Give the home supporters dibs on tickets (and then distribute (if) any remaining tickets to other LOI clubs) so you have a vocal LOI crowd and nobody loses out to Irish fans of the visiting team.

As a LOI supporter, I understand how much a bumper gate means if a big team comes though.

It'd be lovely, but won't happen, from a business sense Pats would be stupid to even consider such a notion.

It'd be lovely, but won't happen, from a business sense Pats would be stupid to even consider such a notion.

Aye, I know, but a jammed LOI ground with the fans on top of the payers would be far more useful than 10-15 thousand supporters rattling around a bigger ground.

You can't ignore the money though.

That said: Landsdowne isn't available. Not Croker surely?

In the event of big fixture, that only leaves the RDS right? Even when Tallaght gets the new stand, it will only be 6.5-7k capacity.

Fairly sure the RDS is already booked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Great result.
    If I was the opposition manager, I'd go into hiding for the foreseeable future...

Advertisement