Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Are Schools Opening

Options
  • 30-07-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Has anybody heard if the schools will be staying closed till October because of the swine flu. I'm putting off buying the uniforms in case my little fella takes a stretch (fingers crossed)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Nope have not heard any such thing, where did you hear it?
    IF you are really concerned ring the dept of education and they can clear it up.
    http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=10917&ecategory=28903&language=EN
    Contact Us

When e-mailing the Department, please use 'plain text' e-mails rather than templates supplied with your e-mail program, or one you have created yourself. Please also note that images should not be included either in the body of the e-mail or in attachments, unless this is unavoidable. This will result in the speedier delivery of your e-mail.

To dial the Republic of Ireland direct from Northern Ireland or from abroad the prefix 00 353 is normally used and the first digit (0) of the area code should be omitted.

For Example:
    To call (01) 889 6400 Dial 00 353 1 889 6400

Email Address for requests for information: info@education.gov.ie HAVE YOU CHECKED OUR Guide to Services (A-Z)

Email Address problems with the website: webmaster@education.gov.ie

Email address to contact the Ministers office: minister_okeeffe@education.gov.ie

The Department's main offices are located in Athlone, Tullamore and Dublin. The Department can also be contacted through its network of 10 Regional offices. The main telephone numbers and other contact details are as follows:

Athlone

Dublin

Tullamore

Regional Offices

Cornamaddy,
    Athlone,
    Co.Westmeath
    Tel: (090) 6483600

Marlborough Street,
    Dublin1.

Tel (01) 8896400

Portlaoise Road,
    Tullamore,
    Co. Offaly
    Tel: (057) 9324300

Further details on the the Regional Office Network
    are available here - view details

Lo-Call: 1890 40 20 40*
    * Note that the rates charged for the use of 1890 (LoCall)
    numbers may vary among different service providers

On dialling any one of the Department's mainline numbers, telephone operators can connect to a telephone extension in any of the Department's locations.

The Department has a Direct Dial Inwards system in place for each location. If the extension number required is known the following steps should apply.

Location What to dial

Athlone 090 648 followed by the extension number required
    Dublin 01 889 followed by the extension number required
    Tullamore 057 932 followed by the extension number required

If there is a difficulty contacting an extension number dial one of the Department's main telephone numbers. A telephone operator will assist with enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fiona stephanie

Hi there,

My sister is a classroom assistant in a primary school and her school is remaining closed for the first 2 weeks of sept anyway! and i have heard a few of the school around my area are remaining closed also, but i have no idea if it is all the schools across the country! Im gonna try ringing my daughters' school nearer sept and if i cant get through to them i will ring the dept of education!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

A neighbour told me that he heard on the radio that schools might not be opening in September as normal. I'll wait until I hear from my childrens schools even though they're hoping the schools remain closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Have heard rumors but think they have stemmed from SKY news reports that schools in England may not be reopening. Doubt it will happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Yep was on the News on the radio.Schools staying closed till October because no vaccinations against swine flu for the Kids,so they are saying.They lied saying they had them ready :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Does anyone have an actual link with an offical statement about that being planned for school here in ireland or is this just all hearsay atm?

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Does anyone have an actual link with an offical statement about that being planned for school here in ireland or is this just all hearsay atm?

It was on the radio all day.But it hasn't been confirmed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

From the DES website

Is there any requirement at present for schools/colleges to close?
    Schools/colleges should continue to operate normally unless advised by local
    Department of Public Health staff in the Health Service Executive (HSE). The current
    advice from the Department of Health and Children to the effect that there is no
    current issue regarding schools/colleges closing and may be found at
    http://www.dohc.ie This will be updated by the Department of Health and Children
    as needs be.

Wednesday, 12 August 2009 19:03
    Coláiste Bhríde in Ranafast, Co Donegal, is to close tomorrow and the remaining 275 students will be sent home.
    Two students at the college have tested positive for the swine flu virus.
    Over 30 children have been sent home since Monday with suspected influenza A(H1N1) symptoms.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0812/swineflu.html

Should the children be sent back to school is a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

maybe some schools arnt going to open on time, but my partner is a teacher and he has his timetable to go back on the 24th of august(secondary school)

• Advertisement
Advertisement