Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City to play Celtic - CLUB IS SAVED (Maybe)

• 30-07-2009 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭

just announced 20mins ago:

Cork City Football Club is delighted to announce that Celtic Football Club
    have agreed to play the club in a friendly match to assist the club in its
    efforts to resolve our current financial situation.

Details of the match, which will take place in either August or September,
    will be announced in the coming days.

Cork City Football Club would like to express their sincere thanks and
    gratitude to Celtic Football Club for their help in agreeing to play this
    match which will go some way to securing the club’s future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Er.

What about tomorrow and the winding up order.

Will Celtic have a team to play against?

Something dodgy about all of this.

I'd say Caughlan has the readies to pay Revenue tomorrow.

Why else would he

a. reject FORAS
    b. reject another takeover bit who said they'd clear all debts
    c. organise a game for Aug/Sept

Something's extremely fishy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

What Des said. He MUST have the money available in the short term to be even thinking about organising such a game for next month surely to God?

There are suggestions that it's a lie.

Anything on the Celtic website?

Des wrote: »
    There are suggestions that it's a lie.

Anything on the Celtic website?

I see nothing at all.

OP post a link to this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Like everything about Cork City atm, it just doesn't seem to add up.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    I see nothing at all.

OP post a link to this story.

It's on the CCFC website.

But does anyone trust Caughlan?

Des wrote: »
    It's on the CCFC website.

But does anyone trust Caughlan?

No right minded person could in all fairness.

Bloke I know works for the club, it's confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

This would definitely save the club in the short term, but I hope FORAS is going to actively try to take control of Cork City Football Club away from Tom Coughlan.

This would definitely save the club in the short term,

You reckon?

The Cross holds about 7.5k

Say tickets are €20, that's €150k

If tickets are priced at €30 that's €225k, but thirty quid is a bit steep to expect the Celtic fans to pay to see what wouldn't even be a reserve team.

After/If wages are paid next week, there'll be another tax bill to pay.

No, Caughlan has the money to pay tomorrow I think.

I agree with you that FORAS need to be running the club. But Caughlan wants a bleedin' pay off to go, he wants €120k in his pocket to get the hell out of there.

• Advertisement

I meant that after all the mess with the revenue is sorted, which yourself and others have (probably correctly) assumed will be paid by Coughlan, that this would keep the club afloat for two to three months and hopefully the gob****e in control now will step aside.

I meant that after all the mess with the revenue is sorted, which yourself and others have (probably correctly) assumed will be paid by Coughlan, that this would keep the club afloat for two to three months and hopefully the gob****e in control now will step aside.

He won't step aside, imo.

Also, they are going to keep on running up this revenue bill, every time they pay players, they'll owe money to revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

no official date has been set.

its dependent on the club surviving tomorrow(fri).

The judge will have to choose to adjourn the case or let the club goto the wall....the judge will be told in the morning as will revenue.

The judge might decide that the club has had enough chances.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    The judge might decide that the club has had enough chances.

And who could blame her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

glad for the lads i know who support city if they get thru this

hope they survive, they should get deducted points as well at very least

whats the story with the players being free agents?

still need to get coughlan out by the sounds of it

dont get why celtic are involved, only ever screwed us,
    must be time to prove their irishness again:rolleyes::o

this really all hinges on if the club are granted another adjournment tomorrow(fri).

unless the club can provide a date to the court I don't think they will grant an adjournment....it might be a case of too little too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It could indeed be too little too late, but looking at it logically, the revenue may drop their bid as they will see it as a way of getting approx €150k defo.

Could be pie in the sky, but we now have a fighting chance tmr.

UPDATE:

this is only a rumour

Some consortium will be going tothe revenue tmr instead of Tom with a financial saving package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Come on the Cork! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

This sounds all so fishy to me.

gimmick wrote: »
    UPDATE:

this is only a rumour

Some consortium will be going tothe revenue tmr instead of Tom with a financial saving package.

got a phone call about 15mins ago asking me if I heard anything about that ....

only problem I would have with this rumour is that - theres nothing behind it.
    Its all speculation, Coughlan wont leave without pay off, the club have an agreement with Celtic that if they survive court tomorrow then the two teams will play a friendly in august/september.

Unfortunately I think what will happen tomorrow is that the club will goto the court with the news, the judge will look at the facts and any supporting evidence from Celtic confirming the agreement and will (in my opinion) tell the club that its too late.

as previously discussed the club wont make enough money from the game to cover the increasing debt.....and I'm an optimistic City fan !!!

Ideally this mystical consortium (which dermot desmond is supposed to be involved in) would take the club and pump money into it - but no self respecting businessman will invest in an Irish Football Club - despite the FACT that we are quite close to making group stages of Uefa Cup/Champs League..... I dont believe that there is a saviour for the club..... it will come down to a decision by the judge - if the club has had enough chances or if the club deserves another adjournment, I think they need to arrange a second friendly with another big team in the same month

I just heard they are being paid to advise, nothing else.

Thats that one knocked on the head so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Will cork be hit with a points deduction for this mid season crisis? I reckon he has most of the money for tommorrow and it's the installments after tommorrow he doesn't have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Its really just embarassing at this point, they've had too many chances at this point, even if they do survive tomorrow, it'll just rear its ugly head again if Coughlan stays, hope the judge does the right thing tomorrow, for the good of Cork and the LOI. Any word on if Cork are able to field a team tomorrow night?

if he had most of the money he would have mentioned it on last court date..... he doesnt have it and its hoping for an adjournment (bit of extra time).

The Celtic thing in my opinion is too late - unless they go into court and say that a date is set or at least show a fax from Celtic then I think the judge will say its too late....Coughlan NEEDS to turn up tomorrow with a case full of cash.

MESSAGE FROM THE CLUB:

Cork City Football Club is delighted to have received confirmation from
    Celtic Football Club that they will play the club in a friendly match to
    raise much needed funds.

In light of the circumstances in which the club finds themselves, this
    friendly match now confirms that we will have the ability to pay the
    outstanding balance owed to the Revenue.

The club sincerely hope that common sense will prevail and the club will be
    given the opportunity to deliver on this.

so this means that with this game they will have the money to continue ...hmmmm !!!

MESSAGE FROM THE CLUB:

Cork City Football Club is delighted to have received confirmation from
    Celtic Football Club that they will play the club in a friendly match to
    raise much needed funds.

In light of the circumstances in which the club finds themselves, this

The club sincerely hope that common sense will prevail and the club will be
    given the opportunity to deliver on this.

so this means that with this game they will have the money to continue ...hmmmm !!!

Absolute tripe tbh.

this

No it doesn't.

There are no guaranteed ticket sales.

ffs, get the head out of the sand Cork City (not the fans)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

As a city fan this can only be good news if by the time The Celts arrive Coughlan has touched on!! The man is a menace to City not a Saviour

Its beginning to look good. Well, good is too strong a word, maybe its beginning to look not so shít. Coughlan, if nothing else, is a very well connected man. There is pressure on the revenue form more powerful people than them. I reckon it comes down to how bloody minded the revenue will be. They have evry right to wind us up, I will not argue if they do, but there is a chance they wont.

And here is the kicker, as of this moment, CCFC have not breached licensing rules. So, it is more than possible that if we scrape through tomorrow, there would be no sanction. Of course the FAI could engineer a sanction, but who knows?

Just for the record, if we aint sanctioned it will be farcical. But thats not to say I would not be utterly delighted ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Cork City FC need a bank draft in the court tomorrow for €439,000. It seems that Revenue won't accept anything else. If Revenue don't accept what's on offer, the Judge will close Cork City FC down.

Cork City FC need a bank draft in the court tomorrow for €439,000. It seems that Revenue won't accept anything else. If Revenue don't accept what's on offer, the Judge will close Cork City FC down.

Rightly so too, dunno why Coughlan didn't sort this friendly back when the court were willing to give them time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Unless they arrive in court tommorow with that money their gone.

They could be playing United, Barca and Ac Milan Saturday morning doesn't make a difference.

They have had their stay of execution, tommorow is last chanceville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Its beginning to look good. Well, good is too strong a word, maybe its beginning to look not so shít. Coughlan, if nothing else, is a very well connected man. There is pressure on the revenue form more powerful people than them. I reckon it comes down to how bloody minded the revenue will be. They have evry right to wind us up, I will not argue if they do, but there is a chance they wont.

And here is the kicker, as of this moment, CCFC have not breached licensing rules. So, it is more than possible that if we scrape through tomorrow, there would be no sanction. Of course the FAI could engineer a sanction, but who knows?

Just for the record, if we aint sanctioned it will be farcical. But thats not to say I would not be utterly delighted ;)
    Who exactly?

• Advertisement

Decision due any minute. Nerves are dangling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Good luck lads.

CCFC forum wont refresh. Under strain Id say. This is facking torture.

A stay of execution til4pm I am told.

What the fack?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Looks all doom and gloom now , in the long run we might be better off

• Advertisement

Fúck the long run. I do not want CCFC to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

A stay of execution til4pm I am told.

What the fack?

What does that mean?

Neither do I , but we r being run into the ground!! Into the basemnet F.F.S. prefer to start afresh in the A championship then upto first div then back to where we belong... on a solid foundation with Coughlan a distant but painful memory of what can go wrong!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

220k and a payment plan sounds fair.

Revenue need to get into the real world 2009.

What????

Or maybe Cork City Football Club needs to get into Real World 2009. The ONE thing you DO NOT do in business is not pay taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It wasn't the revenue that got the club into this mess to be fair

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Stay of execution been given until 16:00 , appeal to the Supreme now to get it adjourned for 10 weeks or get money b4 4pm. Understand the Judge is gutted with the revenue stance , but must side with Revenue

http://www.ccfcforum.com/forum/index.php?act=findpost&pid=622970

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tippex wrote: »

Leaving out the fact they have until 4pm.

Surely if they didn't have it this morning, they won't have it at four o'clock?

• Advertisement
Advertisement