Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City to play Celtic - CLUB IS SAVED (Maybe)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I have fond memories of trips to Cork supporting WUFC and the atmosphere the Cork fans always brought to our place for Munster derbies. I hope a mirace comes along and saves ye, the league would be diminished without your great club if the worst happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

according to the cork forums http://www.ccfcforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32391&st=180 the winding up order has been issued and they have until 4pm to appeal to the supreme court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Sully wrote: »
    Leaving out the fact they have until 4pm.

That's for a Supreme Court appeal. Which won't happen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tippex wrote: »
    according to the cork forums http://www.ccfcforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32391&st=180 the winding up order has been issued and they have until 4pm to appeal to the supreme court.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61397353&postcount=48 tbh :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

This thread had me in a more positive mood for this mornings hearing.

Very disappointing.

Gutting thing is that if Tom Coughlan had gone with the same offer on Monday we would still have a club to support.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Quint wrote: »
    That's for a Supreme Court appeal. Which won't happen.

Apparently they are looking for it anyway. Story now is that the SC closed at 11am for the summer so what happens next is the big question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Talk is now that if CCFC cannot get a hearing this afternoon, we can be seen Wednesday for the appeal. By which time the gate money from Bray will be in hand and amybe a few more quid will materialise itself.

This is taking too long. Just lift the order today fackers.

The Supreme Court, they'll be reading about us in Law Journals in future.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

That's pretty spiteful of the Revenue, given that the Celtic game had been agreed. They wouldn't do it to a farmer or a bank.

• Advertisement

SectionF wrote: »
    That's pretty spiteful of the Revenue, given that the Celtic game had been agreed. They wouldn't do it to a farmer or a bank.

I think they had a pain in the ass with cork defering payments. I wonder if they want to make an example of a LoI team?

Club Statement Friday July 31st 2009

On behalf of Cork City FC, we wish to confirm our decision to appeal the decision made by the revenue commssioners not to accept the proposal put forward in the High Court this morning.

It is our intention to seek a stay on the order for leave to appeal to the supreme court. During this period we will settle our outstanding liability in full.

We believe that our proposal demonstrates not just our commitment but also our ability to settle our liability in full in the short term. In addition to this, under the guidance of the Quintas Group we now have a sustainable business model which will protect jobs and ensure that a similar situation will not arise going forward.

We have a big match tonight against Bray Wanderers at Turner's Cross, so we are looking forward to getting back to football and hope to see the Rebel Army there in big numbers

It is appropriate that we take this opportunity to thank all of those who have rallied behind the cause and demonstrated their support in recent times. In particular we would like to thank our manager and players for their loyalty and continuing hard work to deliver success on the pitch. Also, Dermot Desmond and Celtic FC for their commitment to come to Cork, John Delaney and the FAI who have been very helpful and supportive behind the scenes and of course, Jim McCarthy of Quintas for lending us their considerable expertise and advice. Also, we would like to thank Olann Kelleher and Mark Riordan.

From www.corkcityfc.ie

I don't know what to think.

I am being told this whole "stay til wednesday" thing is bollocks. 4pm today or thats that. What a crazy ass saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

With Coughlan still in charge, it's still a ticking time bomb.

Hope they pull through it, but won't be surprised if we are discussing the demise of CCFC in ten weeks time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That kind of talk would give you reason for hope, unfortunately the burning feeling I have is the Revenue want Coughlan and they will get him and therefore City r doomed, hope I'm wrong .

• Advertisement

Judge lafoy is giving us every chance so fair play.

The legal bills will be high after all this too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

The amount of twists and turns in this Cok saga is ridiculous. Reading that cork forum is unbelievable.

I do think that there is a good offer on the table now and the revenue are being vindictive. If the revenue force through with the winding up, they will get less than what's on offer now and there will be 50 people out of work. Obviously Coughlan is to blame for the whole thing but winding Cork City FC up for what seems like a relatively small amount is crazy.

Seems like they might have the judge on side now which might work in their favour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Judge Lafoy would give every chance, the Revenue won't budge they want TC and won't settle for anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Judge Lafoy would give every chance, the Revenue won't budge they want TC and won't settle for anything else
    :o
    conspiracy theories aside:o id say they want their money

• Advertisement

Surely the possibility of 100 per cent of the money is better than 50 per cent. Taking into consideration 50 jobs saved, the tax on those incomes continuing never mind the social aspects of the club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I wonder waht these fine Cork fans think of the Celtic friendly??:rolleyes:

http://www.ccfcforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24819

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭eigrod

Surely the possibility of 100 per cent of the money is better than 50 per cent. Taking into consideration 50 jobs saved, the tax on those incomes continuing never mind the social aspects of the club!

continuing ? Judge Lafoy specifically mentioned that PAYE/PRSI contributions made by the players was part of what Revenue are looking for.

Are we obligated to support Celtic or something?

Dermot Desmond is a Cork man btw.

eigrod wrote: »
    continuing ? Judge Lafoy specifically mentioned that PAYE/PRSI contributions made by the players was part of what Revenue are looking for.

Its all PAYE/PRSI no?

Hardly representative. Also, check the date that that was started.

TBH, I would happily stand for God save The Queen before tonights game if it meant the club was safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭eigrod

Its all PAYE/PRSI no?

"The judge said she was concerned that some of the tax outstanding was PAYE and PRSI which could affect employee social welfare entitlements"

While non payment of any type of tax is to be deplored, deducting PAYE & PRSI from player's pay cheques and not handing it over is the worst possible type i.m.o.

True but the prsi in question will be paid in the 50 per cent! No real reason for for that to be an issue as they will be up to date in wages, prsi etc to the players, although the players did forego payment this week in order to have as much cash as possible for today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

There's a huge difference between not supporting Celtic, being anti-Celtic and then supporting Rangers. But let's not get into that there's more important things for Cork people to be worrying about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Dermot Desmond is a Cork man btw.

No, of course not. Just thought it was strange that's all that some of your fans would go to the trouble of setting up a Rangers support group and putting your crest on a union jack. Anyway, i alwaays had good time for Cork and really hope the club pulls through this.

I's a pity the likes of DD don't invest in their local clubs isn't it?

• Advertisement

He always gives a few quid to my local GAA team every year.

Can't fault the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I's a pity the likes of DD don't invest in their local clubs isn't it?

The phrase money down a rat-hole comes to mind.

Not just for Cork, mind.

If I won the lotto, I'd attach quite stringent conditions to any windfall I bestowed on a Irish football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Are we toast yet?

Deal being made apparently.

Last minute equaliser you might say.:)

To me, the real villain in this is Coughlan. All he has to do is hand over control of the club to someone with the resources to pay off revenue. Instead, it seems that he wants someone to simply throw money at the club, without getting a share.

Any deal will do to get us through for a month or two! Getting rid of Coughlan should be part of any Deal

Deal done. Do not know the details, but we are safe for now.

Agreement Reached With Revenue Friday July 31st 2009

Cork City FC is delighted to confirm that it has reached agreement with the Revenue Commissioners regarding the clubs outstanding tax liabilities

Club owner Tom Coughlan said “We are thrilled to have secured the future of the club and are looking forward to celebrating at Turner's Cross tonight when we host Bray Wanderers in the league.

"As we said earlier today, we believe that our proposal today demonstrated not just our commitment but also our ability to settle our liability in full in the short term. In addition to this, under the guidance of the Quintas Group we now have a sustainable business model which will protect jobs and ensure that a similar situation will not arise going forward.

This has been a very difficult period for us all but I firmly believe that the club will be stronger as a result."

from www.corkcityfc.ie

Delighted we dodged the bullet today, looking forward to going down the cross tonight!!
    City Till I Die!!!

• Advertisement

What was the deal?

Are we still going to be losing players though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭radiospan

Sully wrote: »
    What was the deal?

CCFCForum is down for me right now, but I heard they still have to pay it all by Wednesday. So just another stay effectively? I'm not sure.

The details haven't been disclosed yet. Obviously there was some payment plan but the show must go on, bring on Bray. Apparently alot of Bank Drafts were placed on the table, along with the business plan and Celtic game and ....... deal done, happy days, for now anyway!

One of our Latvians is gone back and O'Sullivan is gone to Rovers, I think that's it but not sure, everything is a bit hazy at the moment. The way the weather is the Bray game might well be called off, has not stopped pissing since early this morning!

One of our Latvians is gone back and O'Sullivan is gone to Rovers, I think that's it but not sure, everything is a bit hazy at the moment. The way the weather is the Bray game might well be called off, has not stopped pissing since early this morning!

That bad up that way eh? I think my rain jacket has taken a fair beating from the rain. Monsoon jackets next on the market I tell ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

What do you suggest? Keep players you can't afford and be back in court next month? Have you not heeded the big warning you got today?

I'm sure lots of players will go, if they don't get paid their contract is void and they're free agents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Congrats lads.

Now get rid of Coughlan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I ve been working since eleven o' clock this morning and only got off work a few minutes ago. I'm delighted we have'nt been wound up. The only thing i'd heard all day was from my boss at around 2' o clock,who said we'd been wound up.

It's been a long day.

What do you suggest? Keep players you can't afford and be back in court next month? Have you not heeded the big warning you got today?
    :confused:

When did I say that we should try and maintain existing spending? I'm just asking, how many players are we going to lose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement