Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perch

Options
  • 30-07-2009 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Think I'm gonna head for a bit of perch fishing tomorrow. Am relatively new to the game, so anybody got any tips for me? Do I necessarily need good weather or even dry weather etc...
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've caught a couple of lovely perch around the 2lb this year spinning with a black fury mepps (size 3 I think). That's been from a boat out on lakes (Mask, Ree). From the bank or on smaller lakes/rivers I'd guess smaller would be better.

If you're fishing with bait, maggots are always good, spread a few around to lure them in, if you draw in a shoal you can keep catching them all day, even the same ones over and over :) One thing to keep in mind though is small perch shoal, but bigger perch are loners, so if you get a shoal and you want some bigger fish you'll need to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭WinstonSmith

any advice re the weather?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I don't think perch are particularly bothered by the weather compared to some other fish, you definitely don't need good weather. I think most of the bigger ones I would have caught trolling would have come when it was dull and overcast and a bit windy. I think any time I've caught them with bait from the bank it has been clear and bright, but I haven't done that very much and I suspect that you'd get as many in bad weather, it's just I chose the nice days to try :)

Where are you going and what are you planning to try?

Think I'll drop a bit of sweetcorn and maggots in and then use the latter as bait. Does it matter how far out I cast or are they likely to saty near the edge? BTW I'll be on the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Not sure if big perch are loners just think the shoal gets smaller and smaller from etc.

Worms are as good a bait as any for perch if you ground baited a patch with cloud groundbait really fine stuff get small fry in minnows etc the perch should follow.
    Minnows are a great bait too but using live ones is illegal i think as its livebaiting.
    Magots will get you perch and other species too

• Advertisement

Thanks to all for their responses. I caught a fish today. Think it is either a roach or a golden rudd. Can anybody describe to me how I may tell the difference between them. Also, I know that I have the option of using them as dead bait in the future, but are either of these edible?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Thanks to all for their responses. I caught a fish today. Think it is either a roach or a golden rudd. Can anybody describe to me how I may tell the difference between them. Also, I know that I have the option of using them as dead bait in the future, but are either of these edible?
    Thanks

Roach will be silver with red fins and its mouth is that of a bottom feeder lits mouth will be turned down.
    A rudd will be more golden red fins too i think and its mouth is that of a surface feeder lips turned up for feeding off surface or underside of plants

i suspect the golden rudd would have to be gold in complexion, but the top of its back is actually black. does this mean it is not a rudd? also is it edible, or what could I use it as bait for (other than pike is suppose)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

when i fish for perch i always find they always take baits and spinners alot more agressivly after a good days rain. a good rain washes worms,slugs and smaller fish downstream and the perch feed like mad then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kpatrick

I went fishing today with my Dad and wanted to road test some spinners for big Perch on the Shannon where i've had them to 2 1/4 pounds. After catching a half dozen little ones i asked him to try a Mepps Comet Size 4 with silver blade and red dots on it. This is one killer lure for Perch. After half an hour he caught the fella in the attached photo - 1 lb 9 oz.
    Big Perch love weirs where small fish gather and they pick them off in the fast water. If i was going for Big Perch that's where i go.
    Another great bait is a dead roach no bigger than 2 inches on a size 10 hook. Be careful with small pike so if there are pike there, use a trace.
    Worms are a great bait too, very underrated and if not, you could land a nice Bream also :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement