Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When after the LH surge is the best time to try for a baby?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been randomly doing those ovulation testing kits (the lutenising surge tests) but did one this morning and got a smiling face which means that it detected the surge. Does anyone know when the best time to try for a baby might be after detecting this? I did this test before around the time that it turned out that I had concieved (but miscarried )but it proved negative so am excited but concerned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Hi I read somewhere that a positive result on an ovulation test indicates that you will probably become fertile over the next three days. Fertility will peak at 36 hours following the LH surge. Once the surge is detected, fertilization is most likely to occur one to three days following. Therefore, you should have sex over the next 48 hours after the LH surge is detected.:)

btw, I'm due to ovulate today according to my chart so wish me luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Best of luck! Was hoping to get him tonight, tomorrow morning and every other morning of the weekend :D We also did it the night before which could help also. I must admit that this is one of my favorite parts of trying for a baby.

Edit - wishful thinking here but if we are both lucky our babies should be due the same date...

Giving up trying for a month or two after this so really hopes that this works...

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Best of luck! Was hoping to get him tonight, tomorrow morning and every other morning of the weekend :D We also did it the night before which could help also. I must admit that this is one of my favorite parts of trying for a baby.

lol - good for you!

I don't think I'm ovulating but what the chart says I must do!

edit: be careful about doing it too often, every 24hrs is enough, he needs time to 'replenish the stock' so to speak

The hubby hates being told that he has to do it...I just figure that it is another way of having more fun time with him. I used the various charts too though I normally try and do it from when my period stops until the next one (though the last few ones are for fun only).

I never had much time for these test things as I did not think that they worked, will see this time...

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I never had much time for these test things as I did not think that they worked, will see this time...

sorry to rain on your parade, don't mean to, but another thing I've heard is that if you take the test first thing in the morning you can get a false positive if your urine is really concentrated. This is because LH is in our urine anyway so if it's concentrated enough the OPK will read it as as surge

• Advertisement

Thanks, am not relying on it in any case, just using the things to get rid of the pack! I did the test yesterday also though and got nothing so hopefully there is something in it...

We have been sticking to our once a day where possible routine but he has been warned to be on best behaviour for the next few days...I even got him to have a nap earlier to conserve his energy for some ahem, exercise later.

Update - did another two of those tests (packet finshed now) and no more smiley faces...sure if it happens it happens, it would be nice but not that worried...will keep to the usual routine of "exercising" at least once a day for the next few days and then relax a bit more after that...should know in about 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Get him eating plenty of Blueberries Cathy! It did the trick for us last time first go. We started trying the day we got our smiley face on the ovulation test and once every second day thereafter (as another poster said you gotta find the balance between his swimmers being fresh and there being no swimmers left cos he hasn't had time to make any!)

We're trying again this month. Waiting to do early preg test on Tuesday. Got a neg on the first one last time and a positive on the second on the day i was due so will try the same method again. I don't feel pregnant this time though. Cross fingers toes and eyes for me and I will for you! Good luck. xxx

Well that seemed to work...thought that I might be pregnant last night and got a slightly positive test, did another one this morning and it was negative and then did one this evening as I really want to take painkillers as my tooth is killing me...I am just so scared that this one will not stay either, have had 2 chemical pregnancies in the past 2 months, must be a record!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Hope it stays positive for you Cathy!

Fingers, toes and everything crossed for you!

• Advertisement

I got a negative this morning but that means nothing?...my tests are always stronger in the evening...dreading the wait though...I still feel pregnant, have mood swings that are unbelievable - was looking at my page on facebook and started to cry because there was a thing about Depeche Mode and I am seeing them in December and if I this one stays I will be very pregnant at that stage...how does my husband put up with me? Have an emergency dental appointment this morning - fingers crossed all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

I got a neg at the weekend so thats me done for this month :( Also hubby gone to Germany tonight and he might not be back in time for next opp. Will have to hop him the second he gets in the door at the end of next week literally!
    Here's hoping you get a pos soon Cathy! :D

Advertisement