Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbed or barbless..

Options
  • 30-07-2009 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what everyones preference is? I do a lot of spinning for Pike and Trout and usually remove or flatten the barbs on my lures. Loose the occasional fish but I do not find it much of a difference (apart from last night when I lost a lovely trout.....!)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

When fly fishing I always debarb the hook, I've forgotten once or twice and I've found them much harder to take out. I hate the extra stress that puts on the fish so I always remember now to debarb.

When trolling spinners or lures I tend to leave the barbs on though, I've always found them easy to remove and I don't feel I'm causing the fish any additional stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭.Ger

Just wondering what everyones preference is? I do a lot of spinning for Pike and Trout and usually remove or flatten the barbs on my lures. Loose the occasional fish but I do not find it much of a difference (apart from last night when I lost a lovely trout.....!)

I use barbless when freshwater fishing (Except deadbaiting) because many moons ago i lost a few due to stress when i intended to release them, and I use Barbed when sea fishing because I think the bait needs that extra bit to keep it on the hook.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I use barbless for softmouth or leathermouth fish, and micro barbed for hardmouthed fish.
    Whatever the target species, if the hook is attached to anything with weight, like eg a spoon, plug or deadbait, I always have a barb on the hook. that's because I've found that headshaking throws barbless hooks where there is weight to fling away during the headshake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I use barbed for spinning for pike only as they tend to be hooked around the lip area but de-darb when using deadbait. O i use barbed for coarse fish too.

Advertisement