Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Legends -v- England Legends, Tolka Park

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Will Tony Daley be playing?:pac:

DALEY_Tony_19900401_GH_L.jpg

Now THAT's a legend I'd pay to see.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Just saw the article on the Shels site, I'm definitely getting tickets for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I thought they would be "legends", but a lot of those names listed are genuine international legends.

Could be interesting. Would be a shame if this match has a higher attendance than any Shels match this season though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I thought they would be "legends", but a lot of those names listed are genuine international legends.

Could be interesting. Would be a shame if this match has a higher attendance than any Shels match this season though.

That really wouldn't be hard, it definitely will.

Throw a few quid on ray houghton to score first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

the England side are sh1te

syngindub wrote: »
    the England side are sh1te

Winterburn, Andy Cole, Pallister, Waddle, Phil Neal, Bryan Robson? I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic!

Quint wrote: »
    Winterburn, Andy Cole, Pallister, Waddle, Phil Neal, Bryan Robson? I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic!

Didn't see them players on the link that was given above
    http://www.legendsxi.com/lxiplayers.htm#eng

Paul Parker Kevin Richardson Andy Sinton
    Phil Neal Dion Dublin Nigel Winterburn
    Paul Walsh Rob Lee Steve Stone
    Mark Walters Paul Merson Craig Hignett
    Des Walker Ray Parlour

pure Sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Des Walker Ray Parlour

pure Sh1te
    No Tony Daley = FAIL.

wintherburn and phil neal there alright.
    chris waddle, where did you see him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Des Walker Ray Parlour

pure Sh1te

From the link above on the Shels site:

Confirmed Legends to date

Confirmed Legends to July 30th.

Ireland

Curtis Fleming, Ray Houghtan, Ronnie Whelan, John Aldridge, Kenny Cunningham, Chris Morris, Mark Kinsella, Jeff Kenna, Paul McGrath, Owen Coyle, Gary Kelly

England

Andy Cole, Lee Sharpe, Bryan Robson, Phil Neal, Mark Walters, Chris Waddle, Nigel Winterburn, Gary Pallister

More names will be added as they're confirmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Des Walker Ray Parlour

pure Sh1te

IT'S ONLY RAY PARLOUR!!!!!

From the link above on the Shels site:
    ah right...cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Decent sides tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

stovelid wrote: »
    Decent sides tbh.

Indeed. I watched one of these on Setanta last year (think it was in Craven Cottage), tbh Niall Quinn was the only big name we had (or maybe Aldo played the first half, cant recall, I came in late). Our goalie was some lad who got a single cap in the 80s ffs.

Very entertaining stuff, went to penos (without extra time IIRC,cant keep the oul fellas runnin too long :) ). In a major break with tradition England won the shootout :eek::eek:

Id love to see this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did anyone go to this?

I went along, it was pretty entertaining, Quinn's goal in the first half was probably the highlight, along with the players starting the second half themselves while the ref and linesmen were still in the changing rooms. :D

One thing that was annoying however was the lack of tannoy in the stand we were in. We could hear that the stand opposite us had Goalscorers announced, substitutions etc. but it wasn't loud enough to hear clearly.

My dad went up to a steward and asked him about it and the steward told him "If you want to hear the announcements you'll have to sit over in that stand. Those are the €25 euro seats." We paid around 25 euro for the both of our tickets together btw.

So you have to pay extra to be able to hear who's coming on and going off? Which, in a match like this, is important, since it's hard to see who some of the players are, especially since the teams were very different to the ones on the back of the program.

Ray Houghton was listed in the program even though he was on RTE covering the Arsenal-Celtic match. :confused:

I know it was just a friendly exhibition match, but it's things like this that put people off the LOI. The whole thing was organised terribly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I know it was just a friendly exhibition match, but it's things like this that put people off the LOI. The whole thing was organised terribly.

This wasn't organised by anyone in the LOI, so it's unfair to brandish this as an indicment of the league. Shels rented Tolka to the organisers (and as far as I'm aware got a cut of the receipts, hence the pimping it got on here).
    So you have to pay extra to be able to hear who's coming on and going off? Which, in a match like this, is important, since it's hard to see who some of the players are, especially since the teams were very different to the ones on the back of the program.

Again, that's the organisers, obviously playing to the fact that Tolka is in need of some repair and trying to squeeze a few extra euro out of the punters.

I'm guessing you were in the Riverside stand, or the Ballybough, where noone would really sit during league matches (apart from away fans in big derbies, not that Shels have any of those anymore! :(), so the speaker thing really isn't an issue at other matches.

And I wouldn't class anything surrounding a match like this as 'important', ;), except for safety. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

These games are organised by a company. They're a private venture. They always put the big names down, even if they don't show - Paul McGrath, Ray Houghton, John Barnes, Brian Robson, etc. They use the big names to attract the crowd.

These events have nothing at all to do with the LOI.

I was at it last night. Great goal from Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Paulw wrote: »
    These games are organised by a company. They're a private venture. They always put the big names down, even if they don't show - Paul McGrath, Ray Houghton, John Barnes, Brian Robson, etc. They use the big names to attract the crowd.

These events have nothing at all to do with the LOI.

I was at it last night. Great goal from Quinn.

what did it finish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Erm, wtf did it have to do with the LoI :confused:

Next up: LOI responsible for Ireland not making South Africa.

Time to republish the Reasons To Avoid The LOI manual again. In phone book format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

What was the final score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

PCros wrote: »
    What was the final score?

4 - 3 to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

IvySlayer wrote: »
    4 - 3 to Ireland.

Anyone know the scorers?

Combined age of scorers?

Rounding off to the nearest 100 is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Any pictures of the match? Preferably Gary Pallister and his massive bulge.

Advertisement