Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Packing for college

• 30-07-2009 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

I'm taking my boyfriends sister shopping for clothes for college soon and I've been putting together a list of things she might need. When I went to college we wore O'Neill's track suit pants a lot but they seem to be confined to "round the house" wear now as students are much more stylish than before.

Few day dresses
    Boyfriend cardigans
    Plain black and white vest tops
    Jeans
    Uggs
    Converse
    Flat boots
    Ballet flats
    Backpack
    Winter coat
    Going out bag
    Hoodie
    Track suit/yoga pants
    Pyjamus/socks/underwear
    Cosmetics
    Going out clothes

Problem is this list looks really expensive. She would obviously have some of these clothes already but a lot of them have been through the washing machine enough to need replacing. She doesn't frequent the shops the way I do so I would hope a lot of the clothes we get would last for the year. Any advice or suggestions on how much to spend welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Very nice of you to help you b/f sister prepare for college. Tbh it sounds like you are making it into an unnesessarily difficult chore she doesn't need everyone of them things from the get go. Infact it would take the fun and impulsivity out off it. Don't know anyone who buy a whole new wardrope in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Jesus i dont think any 17 or 18 year old would want to to bought shopping like a kid going to back to school,im pretty sure she has alot of that kinda stuff already.Give her the money instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah, I think it would make a lot more sense to buy these things gradually. She will get ideas from observing the other students for a while. You really can wear whatever you want in college, there are no rules. Plus, some of the items in your list are redundant - why would you need to get both Uggs and Boots straight away? Cardigans and a hoodie?

Or does she have some sort of health problem that makes shopping on her own difficult? If not, it sounds like you're mollycoddling her a bit (no offense :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Jesus i dont think any 17 or 18 year old would want to to bought shopping like a kid going to back to school,im pretty sure she has alot of that kinda stuff already.Give her the money instead!

She does want new clothes, something about an argument with her mother about the cost of her debs dress. Her mother insisted on not over spending on the debs dress and there was a compromise about buying clothes she would get more wear out of instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭milktwosugars

Hi, so I was in the same shoes as your boyfriends sister last year, so maybe I could help out. It was my first time away from home too...so...

To start, it depends what her own individual style is. I'm not being a bitch but many girls who were converse wouldn't wear uggs and vice versa. If she would wear both then that's great. Why not take a look at her own wardrobe and go from there? Ask her what she likes...alot of girls I know hate dresses, alot of girls I know will only wear dresses...You get me?

First on the list would be a decent and pretty practical jacket. I'd recommend the North face womens rain coats you can just roll into a ball. They're not the most flattering but worn with a hoody and jeans, they're perfect for a horrible rainy windy day. Retail at about 90 euro. You can get other rain jackets too of course, I just find those last for years.

Second is a decent umbrella, not a cheap gammy one. A substantial yet small one that will keep her dry on a windy rainy crappy day....whilst still looking pretty. Think Audrey Hepburn.

Third is a pair of shoes that are reasonably good at keeping your feet warm and dry. If she's into van's that's cool, maybe Nike's, converse are ok but not the best, uggs tend to get a bit soggy, little black leather style boots can be cool if worn with skinny jeans.

Then there's the obvious like pyjamas, undies, a couple of new bras maybe, slippers so you can feel a bit more comfortable in front of your new roomates.

From there on practicality stops, you're fine, you're dry but if you do want to go getting all excited and have a shopping trip, I suggest that instead of going crazy on new outfits and trends you buy some staples...

Number one and two depend on her body shape, skinny jeans are great but don't suit everyone.
    1.Skinny Jeans that fit really well; penny's are great for black ones.
    2. Boyfriend jeans or Hipster jeans that fit well, avoid muffin tops and are comfortable; a wear are pretty good for this and not so expensive
    3. Leggings, black navy and grey...they will turn any night outfit into a day outfit, can be worn with t shirts and heels on a night out...etc. You can get these for in most shops, buy quality though as they wash well and can last ages...
    3. A few tank tops, penny's are great for these, maybe 5.
    4. A few cardigans, again penny's rock for this but only like 2 or 3.
    5. A day dress she can wear, something comfortable and understated.

For nights out,
    1. A black dress that suits her well. You don't have to spend alot on this at all, Dunnes and Penny's both do great dresses. God know's she'll end up falling for a fella in her class, make it easy for her. Give her a dress she feels confident in. Show off her assets. Black dresses in particular can be worn again and again, just dressed up in different ways. With coral jewlerry, dimantee, gold, a belt, etc. They also come in handy for a day you want to look nice, pair with some tights and boots.
    2. A pair of black shoes, she can wear this with jeans, with the dress, with the leggings...whatever. Pennys are pretty cool for this too.
    3. A pair of pomps she can bring with her on a night out in her...
    4. Handbag, go mad if you want. People who match their handbag really well to the rest of their outfit are boring...A bright turqouse, yellow, cream, whatever. Spend money on this because if it's good it's something she'll have for ages. Find her one she loves it, it's a girls best friend.

The rest she can build on her own as she gets to know herself a bit better, but those are some great staples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

3 essential things you need when your a sytudent for the 1st time are

1. winter coat, she won't be able be able to afford a good one.

2. an umbrella

3. PJs as you will be sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Thats a good point! Well imo jeans shouldn't cost less than 60 quid (river island and topshop etc). H and M is great for decently priced basics, cardigans, little dresses, and tshirts. I'm a student so I have to shop on the cheaper end of things. (And youre right, college is a catwalk these days, at least in UCD, its not as bad in DCU and maynooth everyone just wears oniells and jerseys)

Penneys always for the pyjama tops/underwear/socks and flats. the reason i say the flats is those little shoes fall apart no matter where theyre from and how much they cost (Have had ones costing up to 70 euro). Plus because your foot is bare in them they can cause feet to sweat and tend to hold on to the smell.

Definitely invest in plimsolls from river island or office (the penneys ones fall apart and you end up spending more on them, total false economy) theyre great because you can wear socks with them, but they still look good with tighter jeans and things like that.

Also for cardigans avoid buying in River Island or Topshop, the quality isnt worth the price. Try shops like vero moda or pull and bear, same cardigan, way better price. Id pay maybe 25-30 for a decent long grandad one.

Don't buy the winter coat yet, so many nicer ones will come in as the season progresses. Do spend a lot on it, its an investment and you will be wearing it every day. Over 100 anyway.

Uggs are pointless imo. It rains in Ireland...heavily! and all they do is soak up the water. I even had a pair with rubber soles and I still ended up having to sit through a day of lectures with soaking wet feet. Invest in a decent pair of leather boots (I spent 120 on a pair from river island with the last of my summer wages and its the best thing I ever did, a whole winter (and summer) of dry feet and theyre still going strong.

Going out clothes wise I tend to go for dresses because its literally a whole outfit sorted at once, thing is about going out clothes theyre better picked up gradually, especially given the similarity of shops and seasonal looks (especially winter because it focuses on dark colours) But she will need stuff straight away (freshers nights etc). get her a decent pair of dark skinny jeans, a nice black top, and a nice bright one (cobalt blue or purple tends to suit a lot of hair/skin colours). And maybe a dress if you see one. I'd get most of my going out clothes in topshop, i find other shops tend to look to cheap (diamantes and the likes). And a pair of heels she can last in is essential (try ones with ankle straps if she isnt used to them as theyre more secure. I would pay about 60+ for a good pair of heels. River Island do one or two fantastic ones every year ( topshop ones tend to be a bit too trendy for my liking, and they will get dated very quickly and theyre all ridiculously high)

I stayed mostly with mainstream shops because I dont know her style or where youre located. Sorry about the super long post! hope it helps

edit: winter coat wise DEAR GOD make sure it has a hood! (not a hope is she always going to have an umbrella) which rules out most macks. Go for a duffel style. And maybe go for one of those baggy kinda beanie caps (tea cosy ones) if they suit her, they are super handy for hungover hair hiding. I looooove mine

second edit: on a re-read a lot of the prices i've mentioned are quite high, thats because i've pretty much come to the conclusion its better to have one nice thing than two sorta niceish things. hit the sales before they end! penneys is great for everything, as is h and m and pull and bear. you can get nice tshirts and skirts from about 12 quid upwards.

Thanks for the detailed replies! I'll be using those tips for myself too.
    simu wrote: »
    Or does she have some sort of health problem that makes shopping on her own difficult? If not, it sounds like you're mollycoddling her a bit (no offense :))

She's not overly confident and because:
    (And youre right, college is a catwalk these days, at least in UCD, its not as bad in DCU and maynooth everyone just wears oniells and jerseys)

But she will need stuff straight away (freshers nights etc).

Wearing the right clothes helps you fit in. She will be coming with me to shop obviously and won't have to wear what I say! But she likes my clothes so she kind of trusts me.

Stupid question possibly but what's the difference with wearing leggings and opaque tights? Because I wear dresses a lot with opaque tights. Some people wear leggings in place of jeans and you couldn't do that with tights but is there anything else I need to know?

Another question: What's a decent umbrella? Because I could do with one myself. The penneys one's fall apart, the big golf ones are good but too big for carrying everywhere all the time.

As for the boots I recommend TK Maxx, they usually have nice leather boots during the winter months.

Does the whole fashion parade thing prevent people from going to lectures? I could see myself missing loads of lectures for being too lazy to get dressed up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

As much as I wanted to look fab everyday for college, it's not a reality(Palmerstown to Dun Laoghaire :() ! I survived the winter on:
    Flat ankle boots/flat knee high boots/leather brogues/converse
    3x skinny jeans
    2x cardigans
    1 cosy shirt/ some might prefer hoodies, I'm not into them
    3x black/grey skirts + loads of tights
    endless band t-shirts
    warm coat/brolly/hat/scarf/gloves/earmuffs/mittens etc
    2x bags - one big leather for carrying day to day stuff and backpack for laptop days
    Most of this stuff I had when I started, and built up as it got colder.

Ballet flats and fake uggs are useless for day to day, IMO. She'll end up doing a lot of walking/standing around, especially if it's a big campus, and they'll just hurt your feet. And wet feet are horrible too!
    I'm sure she has clothes she likes already, and as another poster said when she starts college and sees what everyone else is wearing, it might be easier to shop. I know my style changed a lot over the year from being inspired by others and just generally becoming more comfortable among the college pals.

sunnyside wrote: »

Stupid question possibly but what's the difference with wearing leggings and opaque tights?

Kind of answered your own question! Tights look grand with dresses/skirts/shorts, but leggings can be worn more casually, like with a long t-shirt or cardigan, for example. Leggings with boots and cosy socks is also an easy way to look nice while keeping your toes warm in the winter!
    Always remember LONG TOPS with leggings!!
    This may happen....possibly NSFW! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMzqSn7fJFI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Few day dresses-H&M/new look (fairly cheap and funky)
    Boyfriend cardigans-Penneys in the autumn(new stock should be in soon)
    Plain black and white vest tops-Penneys (have some and they rock)
    Jeans-A-wear(around 35 quids,loads of styles)
    Uggs-Penneys in the autumn(have 2 pairs that i've worn to death)
    Converse- no option but to spend 55 quid here,Schuh or office
    Flat boots-Penneys
    Ballet flats-Penneys
    Backpack-would reccommend the Bag Shop but it's all gone now:(
    Winter coat-No option but to spend money here
    Going out bag-A-wear
    Hoodie-Penneys or Topshop
    Track suit/yoga pants-any sports shop
    Pyjamus/socks/underwear-Penneys
    Cosmetics-Boots-River Island/Miss Selfridge/Oasis

If you pick a lot of this up in Penneys you can spend elsewhere, eg the winter coat or the going out stuff. i was dressed head to toe in penneys for most of college,it can be dressed up to look much more expensive,people were always surprised when i told them!

And I live A-wear jeans,they've styles to suit every figure!and sooo cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I don't really have anything else to add except get tights in Dunnes rather than Penneys as they last longer.

Larianne wrote: »
    I don't really have anything else to add except get tights in Dunnes rather than Penneys as they last longer.

+1 for Dunnes! They do REALLY black ones. I find them much better than M&S too.

Actually I saw these leggings in Dunnes. They are new and cost €30 and are some designer brand (or as designer as you'd get in Dunnes!). They are meant to look like jeans and they looked so good on the manequin that I was rather tempted myself for wearing with tea dresses or long cardigans. Just adding it as they would definitely suit some people replying here.

This girl doesn't have loads of clothes, she was never really bothered about clothes but since the talk about debs dresses she's become more interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

When i was in college you could always tell which were the 1st year students from down the country.

They'd wear O'Neills tracksuit bottoms, big hoodie sweater, hair in pony tail and zero make-up.

Just make sure you have lots of basics that can be pieced together in different ways so as to look like different outfits.

First impression really counts and she isn't in school anymore so time to start dressing like a college kid!

I don't think you'll need as many shoes OP.

I always tell my customers, pick a celebrity who's style you admire and who's shape is similar to your own and work from there.

I worked in a wear and have always found their jeans to be absolute dirt, badly cut, cheap material, faulty buttons and the skinnies tend to just be straight legs.

Never stopped anyone I know going to lectures, after about a 2 or 3 weeks you just get used to your schedule,and whatever amount of effort you put in, you know how long you need before you leave.

And if youre getting tights PLEASE get them in marks and spencers. I have had war with tights this year. Finally found ones in marks and sparks. theyre 14 quid for 3 but have lasted me 4 months and they are JET black. every pair of penneys or dunnes ones have fallen apart or are that manky almost black that makes you look like you have cellulite

edit: I wouldnt put her in jeggings (jean leggings) just yet. Theyre a high trend at the moment, but they could be gone by next week,and theyre the sort of thing that will date quite quickly

How many winter coats do people in college have? The raincoat for wet days, a smart black knee length coat/going out coat? I'm just thinking of what I have myself. It's a lot more than 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

why would you need to buy all this stuff for college? :confused: surely she already has clothes. I just don't understand. I won't be buying any new clothes for college.

I have a really heavy one (long with a furry hood) for the baltic days. A black duffel one for normal winter days and a lighter one for when I wont be in the rain that much and I also have a fancyish grey woolen mack kinda one for going out or anything like that (all gotten in penneys, H & M or awear for 35 quid or less)

College is a big change. I understand why she would want a more grown up wardrobe. Luckily I was older than most going into 1st year (bummed around for slightly too long) so I already had my own style and working in shops helped.

• Advertisement

This girl doesn't have loads of clothes, she was never really bothered about clothes but since the talk about debs dresses she's become more interested.

Haha give her three months in college, it'll ALLL change :P

Coats wise I'm like yourself, LOADS. I adore a good coat. Might be worth picking up a boyfriend blazer. They are sticking around for the winter. Look nice with jeans or over dresses. And not too heavy, so will do for autumn with a beret and scarf.

macy9 wrote: »
    When i was in college you could always tell which were the 1st year students from down the country.

They'd wear O'Neills tracksuit bottoms, big hoodie sweater, hair in pony tail and zero make-up.

Just make sure you have lots of basics that can be pieced together in different ways so as to look like different outfits.

First impression really counts and she isn't in school anymore so time to start dressing like a college kid!

I don't think you'll need as many shoes OP.

This is what I'm worried about, she's never really been around fashionable city girls before.

edit: I wouldnt put her in jeggings (jean leggings) just yet. Theyre a high trend at the moment, but they could be gone by next week,and theyre the sort of thing that will date quite quickly

Oh so I do know what jeggins are! I've seen that word here before didn't know what it was. Problem is that I'd be more likely to wear the jeggins under a dress or with my uggs than her! I won't frighten her with that suggestion.

Not sure how this will work out, if somebody wears oneills track suit pants almost ALL the time it's difficult for them to start going to the supermarket in a dress and wearing skinny jeans and vest tops which if you aren't used to them are very tight and kind of revealing compared with baggy casual clothes. She sees me wearing the sort of clothes discussed here and likes them but don't know how she'd feel about wearing them.

Actually I feel bad about encouraging this, there's nothing wrong with wearing casual clothes but being labelled a "culchie" on your first day in college could ruin everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

(And youre right, college is a catwalk these days, at least in UCD, its not as bad in DCU and maynooth everyone just wears oniells and jerseys)

Could you sound any more pretentious? It's COLLEGE - AKA "real life", she's not going to star in the O.C or similar stupid teenage TV show.

As for UCD, the majority of girls who go there favour the 'dragged through a hedge backwards' look with hair that looks like it hasn't been combed in days, those vile "dube" shoes or uggs with O'Neill tracksuit bottoms and a lovely orange tan.

OP - you should let the girl pick out her own clothes. Turning her into a personal fashion project (as you seem to be doing) is a bit messed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Lads, please stay on-topic or I'll have to start using my new mod powers in here! Have a re-read of the charter. Thank you.

eth0_ wrote: »
    Could you sound any more pretentious? It's COLLEGE - AKA "real life", she's not going to star in the O.C or similar stupid teenage TV show.

Yes it is pretentious but it's also kind of true as confirmed by girls posting here who are going to college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Yes it is pretentious but it's also kind of true as confirmed by girls posting here who are going to college.

True, but you can choose to be one of..."those" girls, or you can choose to be an individual.

I think it depends on the college a little bit sometimes. I'm in a college with a large art department so pretty much anything goes, as the type of people attending seem to be....free spirited :) But then again, you get all kinds in your course. The moral of most of the threads in this forum is dress in whatever's comfortable for you and be aware of your body shape!

I can't stress decent shoes enough for winter! Leather all the way. Even some pricey flats that are a little raised off the ground with a proper sole will be miles better than Penney's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Whatever her personal preference is, I'd recommend buying her a really good winter coat. I remember spending a lot of my undergrad years being rained on and cold, so make sure she's warm.

I had feck all money and even a 40 quid coat (yes, I do mean quid, not euro) was beyond my financial capacity.

Other than that, it's entirely personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

macy9 wrote: »

Hehe always thoughts girls in casual wear like that were the 2nd/3rd/4th years, as in the ones who got through 1st year and realised staying in bed half an hour more before your lecture was more important than fashion :p:p

I find having a few layers are handy when going from roasting lecture room to freezing outdoors to medium heat library etc, easy to do with boyfriend cardigans thrown over nice little matching camisoles and very deep v-neck t-shirts, saw some pretty colour combos in pennys today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Ok, coming from someone who is in college..

Like a few others have said invest in a really good waterproof coat (with a hood!) and one or two pairs of really good, comfortable, waterproof shoes/runners.

Tbh, after that it's just a jeans and tshirt affair. :pac:

Maybe invest in one or two really good quality jeans if she's really pushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

:rolleyes: generalisation much?

I go to Maynooth, and let me tell you, it can be extreeemley "catwalkish", especially among the first years. You see certain groups of people and they are head to toe in River Island and you can tell, from their bags to their pumps, and half the time it isn't even that nice (remember those RI tops that came out in summer 07, they were neon and had holes in them, feckin everybody wearing them in sept, or the patent bags that came out there a while ago with the backwards R's on them- counted 19 of them in one day).

My point is, it's not fair to suggest to the OP that if her bf's sister wears o'neill's for example, that she's not going to fit in, it's only certain groups that care about what she wears, and they're best left to suit themselves.

OP, your bf's sister doesn't have to buy certain clothes to fit in at college, just buy more of what she already wears, at least she'll feel comfortable in that, and let her own fashion sense develop over time. College is only a catwalk if you're that thick to let it get to you like that, don't forget the main reason you're there is to get a degree, not to keep up with the latest fashion trends.

edit: and another thing, what's all this hurrah about skinny jeans? some people who can wear skinny jeans don't want to because everyone wears them and they're boring. feck off and let the girl wear whatever jeans she wants...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

guys first things first...O'Neills are kind of last season .. aparrently 'Cantos' are the way forward.HAHA

To be honest, what the girl needs is clothes shes going to be comfortable in as feeling uncomfortable in clothes on your first day in college is going to make the whole day awkward for her, if shes not used to wearing tight fitting clothes get her some nice floaty tops etc and... buy one of the colleges hoddies!! to throw over jeans etc. a handy thing just to throw on in the morning!

as far as shoes are concerned a pair of pumps that will fit in her handbag are a must, nothing worse than aching feet at the end of a night out

LBD every girls best friend can be worn with different accessories/tights to change and vary the look. I think the LBD is one thing time and effort should be spent on finding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Can I suggest bootcut jeans? If she's inclined towards wearing O'Neills all the time than bootcut jeans will be easier to get used to than skinny ones! I just say that as someone who used to wear o'neills and jerseys all the time too.

Other than that, I mean she's going to be buying all her clothes in Penneys all year anyway just like every other broke student. College is only a fashion parade if you make it that way.

Yes it's a generalisation. And yes with the hundreds upon hundreds of people in Maynooth of course not everyone wears oneills. But I have several friends who go there, I've been around the campus and I can honestly say quite a large proportion would wear that sort of look

No you cant just throw a load of clothes at the girl and define her style, but you can give her a helping hand (which is what the OP asked for). You dont know either of them so you cant decide whether the girl wants new clothes or not. Clearly she's showed an interest and the OP wants to help her

And in UCD there is also a mix of every style, plenty of people wear o'neills and stuff. It also varies a lot with the course too, but for the most part everyone puts in a bit of effort. Also a good few of the d4s have sort of started to move away from tracksuit botttoms and ugg boots. In UCD anyway theyve moved towards wearing topshop (pretty much head to toe, but thats another issue)

Bootcut jeans would be a good option and the boyfriend style ones. Nice for comfort days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

why would you need to buy all this stuff for college? :confused: surely she already has clothes. I just don't understand. I won't be buying any new clothes for college.

I agree with you Sinead! Or maybe Kilkenny girls just don't care about clothes lol! :) But seriously I don't feel the need to buy loads of new stuff all in one go,like I already have plenty of things to wear! I may be from the country but I'm sure I won't stick out like a sore thumb! I can assure you we don't all wear O'Neills! (I take offense to that stereotyping!)

My mother would be delighted to hear you all discussing sensible winter coats though, she's been nagging at me every winter since I was about 12 to find a proper one! I've been inspired now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

I'm in college now and just wear what I feel comfortable in. There's nothing worse than sitting through a lecture feeling uncomfortable. You should buy
    a few hoodies
    some good jeans
    boyfriend cardigans
    tracksuit bottoms
    converse/vans
    boots
    loads of accessories!

I find that it doesn't really matter what you wear in college, once you're happy the way you look that's all I find important. Everyone has their own style. Just enjoy college! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

+ 1 on proper shoes!

Nothing worse than wet feet, and on campus in my college (UL) there are puddles absolutely everywhere!

And I suppose as long as she is comfortable, pointing her in the right direction is no harm, and then she can develop her own style over the course of the year.

Another thing: Bootcut jeans can drag on the ground and get mucky after a day walking around campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

You seem to have a pretty decent budget to work with here? If I were you, I'd divide that in two and spend half of it on the basic essentials (as discussed), and on a selection of cheap and cheerful bits and pieces from Penneys or New Look.

Along with the clothes she already has, this should be enough to get her through the first month or so. By then she will have a much better idea of what she wants, and you can go on another little shopping spree!

I think it would be better to do it this way, as otherwise you could end up buying a lot of things she'll end up never wearing, and you might miss out on some things that she didn't realise she'll need.

You seem to have a pretty decent budget to work with here? If I were you, I'd divide that in two and spend half of it on the basic essentials (as discussed), and on a selection of cheap and cheerful bits and pieces from Penneys or New Look.

Along with the clothes she already has, this should be enough to get her through the first month or so. By then she will have a much better idea of what she wants, and you can go on another little shopping spree!

The clothes will have to last for the year! But obviously she can add whatever she wants to the collection during the year.

I'm not sure what the budget is, he mother is providing money, I might add a few things.

I was in TK Maxx today, they had jansport backpacks for €12.99, I wasn't loving the colours they had but others might like them. Few bargains like that will stretch the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

While I will go to no great lengths to defend the fashion reputation of NUIM, this is the front door of your Arts Block.

AbercrombieKidsLg.gif

• Advertisement

I don't deny it. But I have noticed a change over the last year and a half say. Itll be back to square one I bet with this years freshers though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

If she wants to fit in fashion wise I would suggest she take note of what the girls whom she thinks 'look good' during the first week and then that weekend go shopping.

Also, i think sales assistants in the younger stores are a great source of inspiration. Yes, they can be a little ott but thats part and parcel of working in 'hip' retail.

Right now, wearing a structured blazer over a dress is very popular, the blazer can also be dressed down during the day with jeans and flats. The black leather jacket of last year is f-i-n-i-s-h-e-d. May be replaced by the grungier green army jacket as seen lately on Alexa Chung.

211l2cy.jpg

Recently complete strangers on the street have been stopping me and asking me where i got my biker boots ( http://www.kurtgeiger.com/ ) boots are great because you can wear them with a pair of opaques (<-- these are a must) and a dress and you have a dressed down going-out outfit.

Last year everyone was about the full black opaque, the year before it was the footless tights, this year all the stock Ive seen buyers order in for winter puts black opaque on the back burner (although still a safe option) and the colours that are in will be a dark, dark greyish blue and a dark maroon. The former will be more popular I suspect.

The neon colours that plagued this summer will start to look tacky in the Irish winter. Skirts this season will be short....very short!

And i have to disagree with everyone who says go to Dunnes for tights. Go to Arnotts Henry street, easily the best hosiery department in the country. One pair of 25 euro Wolford opaques will easily last her the entire year, if not the next.And therefore better value than the cheaper ones which will end up having to be replaced. And the staff are exceptional, will help her out with style tips etc. Dublin's hidden gem there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I really don't understand this thread. Why are people buying new clothes to go to college? Don't you just wear what you usually wear? I don't know. That's what I do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I really don't understand this thread. Why are people buying new clothes to go to college? Don't you just wear what you usually wear? I don't know. That's what I do.

Me too. But now I'm hoping I can show this to my mum and convince her I suddenly need hundreds of euros of new clothes! I'm starting a postgraduate in a new uni - I have to fit in!

Why does her style have to change when she goes to college? All I'd recommend are the basics like a good raincoat, waterproof flat boots and some cardigans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Faith wrote: »

Why does her style have to change when she goes to college? All I'd recommend are the basics like a good raincoat, waterproof flat boots and some cardigans.

it doesn't have to change,but i know mine did!mainly because,once i got over the novelty of not having to wear a uniform,i started taking more riskes fashion-wise. i started wearing stuff i never would have at 16/17.

also,as the OP said,the girl has let her wardrobe dwindle in the last year and needs to replace a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

When I started college (many years ago!) I did go shopping for new things. Mostly because after years of wearing a school uniform 5 days a week, I didn't think I had enough clothes for everyday wear in college.

I got a couple of pairs of jeans, t-shirts, hoodies and runners to start with. Put off buying the winter coat till the weather got a bit colder and got stuff as and when I needed it then.

I would have loved somebody to go shopping with me and point me in the right direction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

PrivateEye wrote: »
    While I will go to no great lengths to defend the fashion reputation of NUIM, this is the front door of your Arts Block.

AbercrombieKidsLg.gif

Lol, the Abercrombie kids store...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

If you can tolerate Ryanair
    http://www.uniqlo.co.uk/
    You'd probably save money doing a one day trip and hitting Uniqlo.

Judging by UK fashion sites the place has left A.A and Topman/shop in its wake over there, very affordable, trendy and those knobs at the Sunday Times Style Mag seem to love it.

I'm raiding their blokes section on Oxford Street in exactly 13 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

You mentioned both uggs and flat boots in your list, could I recommend scrapping the uggs and investing in a really, really good pair of leather knee boots instead? They'll keep out the rain, they'll look better for longer, they're a little bit more grown-up/sophisticated/collegiate and they'll probably get more compliments than uggs which everyone has seen before! I rarely see uggs around college, and if I do they're the black ones, but on rainy days most girls are kitted out in nice boots (and if they're not they look pretty damp and miserable!)

That said, if Uggs are her style, then she should have a pair of Uggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

when i started college i was a total nerd, shy, bookish, total clueless when it came to clothes. i shudder when i think back to what i wore! i think its great that you are taking her shopping. it might make it a bit easier if we know where she is going to college and where ye are living?

I would recommend looking at magazines first (like 100 high street buys under 40 etc) and that to check out what styles you like and get an idea where to get them. Asos is cool as well cos it shows youhow to put looks together and what goes with what.

here is what ye need really (looking at staples in my closet)
    #pair of high peep toe quality black shoes (if ye are in tralee check out derrys shoes! quality shoes best selection i have ever seen and cost peanuts! tiny shop but great buyers!)
    #swamp in cork have fab little dresses and cool stuff, again a buyer looks at trends in jane norman etc and then gets warehouses to produce imitation clothes, same quality, quarter of the price.
    #jane norman if your careful can have some cute stuff but some is very tacky
    #pull and bear have really cute jumpers and cardigans (dundrum dublin, could do with a bit of routing as some of the stuff is a little out there)
    #Penneys are great for accessories, v neck jumpers
    #zara have lovely strappy plain white and black tops, and some cool casual shirts
    #quality pair of jeans that make your booty look hot! recommend miss sixty, lovely dark jeans (can be found on ebay but bt2 have great sales where clothes are half off) and maybe a paler pair that can be worn during the day tucked in.
    #h&m cute jumpers and accessories
    #baggy jeans (awear, miss selfridge)
    #if you are in tallaght or dublin jervis street there is a shop tally weis or something, i quite thought they were funky (careful you can pick up some tacky pieces!)
    #Bay is cool for some little pieces

She might need help with her make up too and about skin care regimes? Any debenhams make up counter will give her a make over, and then she needs foundation, bronzing powder, powder, eyeshadows, lipglosses (h&m do great lip glosses!) maascara (essence, 2euro and it is fantastic! nearly as good an my benefit!) benetint rose tint is really cool blusher nad acts as lip gloss. Eyeliner and vaseline is a late teens best friend! have make up sessions and show her (if she doesnt know) how to make sure her foundation line isnt showing and how to make her eyes all smoky (i liked to use a dark green eyeshadow with a really narrow eyeshadow brush and apply it as eyeliner and it was cool!) and how to make her lips pout.

She really needs about 2 going out jeans (miss sixty), 5-6 going out tops (river island has gone way down for these in my opinion, fcuk have some really nice stuff!), silver bangly bracelts, dangly silver earrings, sexy and sophisticated dress for any special date she might go on, silver peep toes, gold sandals,

Topshop is fairly expensive and so is miss selfridge for college people.
    (if she is like how i was starting college might be better to start with basics before getting her to wear dresses/skirts. i didnt wear dresses out until i was 20!)

Maybe also give her some vouchers and then she and her new friends can make an evening or skip college classes and go shopping together,

Dont be afraid to go into "expensive" shops, i was in fcuk on monday and picked up a dress reduced from 145 to 43 and it is gorgeous! they had some lovely coats there too reduced.

She will probably need a hotwater bottle and cute cover in case the other students dont like heating bills ;)

Best of luck and hope she has loads of fun! :) As a country "bogger" going to ucd with off the shoulder jumpers (shudder.....) i can honestly say clothes can make all the difference! make sure ye have a fashion parade when ye go home and route through her other bits and see how ye can mix and match!

• Advertisement
Advertisement