Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staying at a Buddist Temple

• 30-07-2009 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭

hey

anyone ever done this? I am considering spending like, a week or two or maybe longer in a buddist temple to learn about myself and to learn about the life they lead there.

I have done meditation before and have found it of huge worth and significance. I am hoping that the experience would lead to some clarity of mind and purpose, as well as helping getting into a regular schedule of meditation.

I think it would be a great experience, as i have taken some time from work to travel and stuff anyway. Any advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Hi Rich,

Are you talking about the silent monestaries where you dont talk at all, but I think have an opportunity to speak with a monk for an hour every evening. I know a few people who have done it. My sister in law ended up staying in one for nearly a year...shaved her head and all that and said it was absolutly amazing. I used to live in NZ and a friend of mine used to pop over to one there every other weekend. Im hoping to go myself, just trying to decide which one. There are 5 main ones around the world, Spain, Switzerland I think, NZ India and England. Theres a website for them but havnt a clue whats its called sorry.
    Anyway, no bad can come from it and youre free to leave whenever you want. Sounds like an amazing experience. Cant wait till I get my act together to go.
    Good luck
    g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭DIRTY69

hey man thanks for the reply

yep the oldest on in europe is in scottland id say i'd go there tbh looks good

anyways, trying to look for a cheaper way to do it is expensive some places.. not good :/

anyways, let me know how you get on, i will keep you up to date here with any more discoveries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

The oldest one is in Scotland! Thats mad...I presumed it would be india. The cost shouldnt be too much really...I mean they are free and my mate in NZ just used to bring some food with him for the monks...
    Guess we'll find out some day.
    And by the way...Im a girl! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭DIRTY69

Good to know :-p

its the only one in europe, not the world. ;)

they say you need to give a donation ..which is a fair bit. I am funemployed
    right now so, paying out money for things is not something i want to really do
    i'd rather volunteer and work there if i could.

http://www.samyeling.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭KamikazeKenny81

Hey guys,

Yeh its something Im considering. Ive really fallen out of the routine of meditation but Ive been planning to go on this 10 day course when i move back to england (only a few weeks now so I should start meditating again!) http://www.dipa.dhamma.org/

Thats the centre in England, or I think that one might actually be wales, but there are links on there which lead back to a page that shows the international courses. They sometimes run them in Ireland, I found it while searching for Vipassana in Ireland. Anyway, from what I read a few months ago there isnt a charge, but they ask that you donate on the completion of the course to help fund the course for others. I like you am also unemployed, I intend to donate as much as I can afford on completion, and then donate more when I have work again. Who knows, if it goes really well I may continue to be involved with their work.

For me it was Vipassana specifically that I was searching for, as I am most interested in the Theravada tradition. I dont know if this may interest you but I though I would share it just in case :D

Do you have any links to information about the one in Scotland? It would be interesting to find out more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement