Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left-sided player: Do we really need one!?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Spurs fans are obsessed with us needing a left-sided player but i'm pretty convinced the reason we havent heard any speculation since Downing is because Harry's realised we're reasonably covered in that area. Aresn't we??

Modric
    HR has said on numerous occasions that we HAVE to have Modric in our team but i struggle to think where else he can play. He didn't do a bad job in that spot last season did he?

Gareth Bale
    It's well documented how Bale's is a more accomplished attacking player and has some defensive fallbacks, that coupled with the fact that we have the increasingly reliable Benny Ekotto as a first choice left full would lead me to conclude that it's the left-midfield spot Gareth Bale should be considered for.

Danny Rose
    In the few glimpses ive seen this lad seems extremely promising. Natural left foot and likes to whip in long balls, he'll be a great option on the bench and i'd much rather put the faith in him and give him his chance than fork out a load of cash on a new player.

John Bostock
    Should we push this England youth team natural left-winger further down the pecking order too or concentrate our efforts into turning him into the top-level pro that many have tipped him to become??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I would love to see Bale come good and fill that left side position.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

tippspur wrote: »

What about Townsend?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

tippspur wrote: »

Agree, but im convinced McGeady would be an excellent signing ad modric could play in an attacking midfeild position with palacios in a holding position...Modric has a spark and creativity that I feel is wasted out on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

I agree with Bale, he's a fantastic player but lacking confidence. Hopefully the new season will kick-start his career. Modric too, is world-class

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I think Modric has made that position his own. He's class over there, and it allows him a certain freedom with Benny doing so well behind him. Bale is another I'd like to see out there as I believe he has the pace and skill to get past players, and he's also naturally left-footed. I think he's lacking in confidence, though that curse needs to be lifted soon otherwise he'll never win a Premiership game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

froosh69 wrote: »
    Agree, but im convinced McGeady would be an excellent signing ad modric could play in an attacking midfeild position with palacios in a holding position...Modric has a spark and creativity that I feel is wasted out on the wing.

:eek:

Surely you jest!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

BOLT wrote: »
    :eek:

Surely you jest!!!!!

Not in the slightest. Was watchig Celtic there the other night agaist Moscow-he was immense. He's what we are lacking out on the left wing...he's like a left-wig version of Lennon.

If we had McGeady and Lennon as our wingers, the best defences in the PL would be quaking in their boots!

Advertisement