Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coastal Multi Systems - Going off air?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there is any truth that Coastal Multi Systems will no longer be able to distribute uk channels because uk are going digital and it will be unavailable within two weeks. If this is true anybody any experience of free to air satellite systems and can you get all the uk channels. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there is any truth that Coastal Multi Systems will no longer be able to distribute uk channels because uk are going digital and it will be unavailable within two weeks. If this is true anybody any experience of free to air satellite systems and can you get all the uk channels. Thanks

Coastal Multi Systems already takes its feed from digital and rebroadcasts in analog. Michael was on radio the other week and I'm sure he said they are staying on the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

They lose their licence this year no? The same as every other deflector in the country. Snd to answer the OP's question, all The UK terrestrials are on satellite free of charge along with BBC3, 4, E4, More 4, ITV2, 3, 4

• Registered Users Posts: 8 banko

Hi

Coastal Multi Systems is not going off the air this year or next year
    from coastal multi systems

The government may say differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Will it be possible at all to pick up the digital signals from Wales?

Have a plasma with built in digital tuner but only pick up RTE's audio as they are broadcasting their digital on MPEG 4 while the Uk and hence my TV only has MPEG 2!

See on the UK government site that the South West Wales transmitter will be operational from 19 August!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hi

If this is true anybody any experience of free to air satellite systems and can you get all the uk channels. Thanks

Check out the Satellite forum, loads of threads on this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭turninggreen

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. If banko is right I will be ok unless mossy knows something different!

scout353 wrote: »

Have a plasma with built in digital tuner but only pick up RTE's audio as they are broadcasting their digital on MPEG 4 while the Uk and hence my TV only has MPEG 2!

See on the UK government site that the South West Wales transmitter will be operational from 19 August!
    it might be possible i pick them up when the wether is right .it depends where you live i live on top off hill with clear view out to sea .and there not on full power yet

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

a) With UK freesat over the whole of Ireland, deflectors are pointless.
    b) All the Deflector licences end this year 2009
    c) 12GHz MMDS PayTV licences are available. But anyone launching such a business is mad, or anyone paying is mad as a similar dish and setbox gets free channels. For payTV Sky or UPC better.

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55
    and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

They are fairly pointless now that BBC, ITV C4 and FIve are all free now on Satellite for a small once off install cost. Along with 40+ other watchable TV and 20+ decent Radio out of 300+ free channels. (or 2500TV + 1800Radio legally free if you have a €100 euro motor, but most of those aren't in english). Perfect quality.

Originally the 1999/2000 licences were to expire in 2003 but they were extended http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/pres040501a.pdf

Current Licence http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/SI645of2006.pdf

The Deflector companies need to busy themselves installing aerials suitable for Analogue/DTT 4 irish channels and Dish for the free UK services for households rather than wasting spectrum on the substandard Deflectors, that will sooner rather than later become illegal again.

Subscription free built in PVR (HDD recording) a bit more to buy but worth it.

scout353 wrote: »

The south west wales transmitter has been transmitting in DTT full freeview [previously ondigital] for about 8 years or more now.
    I get it almost perfectly up here in Arklow with just twin group b aerials,a mast head amp and a pole to get a sea view.Approximately 80+ channels even in the rain.

From the 19th of August to mid september,there is full digital change over at that transmitter [presely] on a phased basis ie they are multiplying the power by up to 15 times what the output is now but changing the transmission set up slightly such that it may need more power.
    The experience so far from that power and system change elsewhere in the UK is a much bigger overspill of the digital signal than with the previous analogue.

Most of Co wexford can receive presely if there is no hill in the way but it gets dodgy south of New Ross and even in New Ross away from the coast.
    Analogue Presely can be received further inland in for example Kilkenny and Carlow but you are moving into much more marginal "digital reception" such as to make that probably unreliable.

Because it's fringe reception -everything has to be right,I spent money on new cables and combiners etc.I suspect without that you'd be at nothing.

Just as a tip-if you are using a deflector service,you will get nothing if you press text on your remote.
    If you can see a full ceefax service or ITV teletext then it's a relay of presely.
    That won't last long as all analog will end from there by mid september,starting with BBC 2 on August 19th but I'd imagine any deflector thats up to date is using satelite.

• Advertisement

Just to note:
    1) It's not at all simple to rebroadcast the DTT or Satellite signals as DTT.
    2) No deflector operator is allowed to broadcast or rebroadcast DTT on UHF/VHF

The Only Digital allowed:
    * Any new 12GHz PayTV MMDS licence
    * Existing 2.6GHZ UPC licence
    * Any Cable
    * Any Satellite
    * DTT on UHF only as per current BCI licence plan. NO Deflector operators ever.

Virtually all so called "deflectors" now use Satellite as feed for their Analogue Modulators and Analogue Transmitters. They will be unaffected by the UK analogue Switch off. But are required to cease at Irish DTT switch on. Which is testing nation wide. So best to investigate your own Freesat dish or UK direct DTT reception soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is it a correct summary to say;

Businesses such as Coastal Multi Systems have a license currently up until December 09. If this is not renewed by ComReg, they are not permitted to operate? So, the OPs belief that they may close at the end of the year is true?

Yes, but not because the UK is going Digital and turning off analogue. That's a red herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Living in Tramore but in a dip so I guess no Welsh DTT for me!:(:(:(

Get a Freesat Dish system. Twice as many decent UK channels and better reception.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=55

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

They are going off the air! Letters are appearing through peoples doors at the moment

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

watty must have put the fear of god in them so!

shanemul wrote: »
    They are going off the air! Letters are appearing through peoples doors at the moment
    coastal multi systems will not going off the air this year still geting yearly licence will be on air till dtt is fully up and running that might not be till 2015 .thats what comreg told us.

banko wrote: »
    coastal multi systems will not going off the air this year still geting yearly licence will be on air till dtt is fully up and running that might not be till 2015 .thats what comreg told us.

So your license is being extended and the whole letter being sent out is false? Sounds good if so, lots of people relying on you folks.

Sully wrote: »
    So your license is being extended and the whole letter being sent out is false? Sounds good if so, lots of people relying on you folks.
    the letters sent out are from sky ,if thats the letter your talking adout.
    it has noting to do with deflectors as thay are picking up by satellite
    sky are only trying to get more people to sing up. it a marking ploy .
    we realy don't know when we will be going off the air .but we will be gone 2015 as that is the date all analogue will switched off.

• Advertisement

banko wrote: »
    we realy don't know when we will be going off the air .but we will be gone 2015 as that is the date all analogue will switched off.

But earlier posters say your license may expire in December?

The letter that was put through my door was from costal multi systems saying that they will be ending their service.

The letter that was put through my door was from costal multi systems saying that they will be ending their service.

Any chance you can scan a copy? Someone is telling porkys (ie either the letter or the user claiming to be from the company).

ill see if i can root it out of the recycling or get another one

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

Sully wrote: »
    Any chance you can scan a copy? Someone is telling porkys (ie either the letter or the user claiming to be from the company).
    Michael from Coastal Multisystems was on WLR a couple of weeks ago saying that the letters were bogus.

Rupert Murdoch wants more of your hard earned - as if he doesn't have enough already.

i'l like to see the letter as we have not sent out any letters.
    cms

Rupert Murdoch wants more of your hard earned - as if he doesn't have enough already.

He doesn't need to get it if you only want to watch the UK terrestrials. Any FTA satellite system will provide them and more. The picture and sound quality is much better than any deflector also.

I remember a few years ago some gob****e from up Leamybrien way demanding money for use of the deflector. When I told him the aerial was for TV3 from Mount Leinster and I had a FTV card for the UK channels he demanded to be left in to check. The ****ing cheek of him. He was politely told to **** off.

Advertisement