Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with my Cat

Options
  • 30-07-2009 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭

OK this problem i have had always with my cat. Nearly every night or second night my cat will bring in some sort of wildlife. As you can guess it would be alive. Some nights it might be a bird or it could be a frog or mouse. Its getting a bit out of hand. I came home last week from holidays to find two dead birds in my house. I feel liked i tried everything and nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Any help much appericated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I heard cats do that as a sign of gratitude by bringing you food. You should be flattered:D, nonetheless you could try putting a collar with a bell on your cat. That way animals will be warned of the cats presence and it wont be able to sneak up on prey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

I tried she just goes nuts. .She will just run around in circles trying to get it off. My cat comes in a window at night i leave ope. I even tried closing that and leaving her out for the night. But then i just find the little "presents" waiting on my doorstep when i get up in the morning. This is going to sound nuts but is it because as soon as i find them i take them away maybe she thinks im happy with her doing that? Maybe i should leave them there for a while to show her i dont want them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

This answer might sound nuts also, but since it's the cats way of showing gratitude, maybe you should pet it every time it brings you these dead animals. That way the cat might feel its done its job on thanking you and will keep the animals it catches to itself, instead of bringing them to you.

No harm in trying eh?

I will try that but i have a feeling that might back fire and she will bring even more. Oh well :D Do you know of any good colars for a cat? The ones i tried were only the cheap ones i got in the supermarket. Maybe thats why she dosent like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

If you are getting a collar make sure it has a snap off catch to it as the ones with an elastic peice might end up chocking your cat if it gets caught on something,my poor sod has a scar around her neck from when she got her paw through the collar and it was stuck around her neck and under her arm pit,,,i got the snap off one now and it works a treat,,also has 2 bells on for the same reason, she still kills things but not as much any more,, thankfully:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I've found my lot manage to lose the snap off collars within hours, so I am forced to stick with the elastic ones. My tom went through about six last summer before I gave up on him, he'd lose them by the next day! I've got 2 bells on both my female cats, as they are monsters, they haven't stopped them completely, but the bird population is much safer at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

swiftblade wrote: »
    OK this problem i have had always with my cat. Nearly every night or second night my cat will bring in some sort of wildlife. As you can guess it would be alive. Some nights it might be a bird or it could be a frog or mouse. Its getting a bit out of hand. I came home last week from holidays to find two dead birds in my house. I feel liked i tried everything and nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Any help much appericated. :)

That is the cutest thing ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):)

Sorry! I like the idea about a collar and a bell-you said she was agitated about that but she'll eventually get used to it!

I will try the collar again and see. If that dosent work i guess i will just have to put up with it. :rolleyes: Cats do the crasiest things. You never have problems like this with dogs. But thats why i love cats! They're origional! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Collars with bells don't work. The cat learns to move in a way that the bell makes no noise. (Those bells make stuff all noise anyway, unless the cat is trotting, and when have you last seen a hunting cat trot up to its prey?)

The only way you can stop your cat hunting is to restrict its movements - e.g. keep it indoors only, or build it an outdoor cat run, or keep it in an area with cat-proof fencing (e.g. cat-proof fence your garden if you can).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Can you not close the doors so that it can only get in when you let it? It'll not wait outside for too long with a half dead animal in it's mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

OP keep your cat in for the night esp during dawn and dusk and that should help reduce the kill rate.

Your cat may go crazy at first but should settle as long as has attention and toys. You may need a litter tray.

OP keep your cat in for the night esp during dawn and dusk and that should help reduce the kill rate.

Your cat may go crazy at first but should settle as long as has attention and toys. You may need a litter tray.

I think that might be the best idea. And yes i think she will go nuts but its better than having a dead bird in my house :)

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Collars with bells worked for my two fearsome hunters, as the kill rate has gone down considerably, they were catching two or three things a day each before.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

buckets of praise works for my girl. if she's feeling a bit neglected she leaves a little pile of shrews on the doorstep and gets tonnes of praise and cuddles and then she feels all chuffed and sleeps for a week :D

All great answers thanks guys! :)

Advertisement