Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leyland Cypress - Where Can I Buy It?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

We're looking to buy some Leyland Cypress, to build a natural fence around some of the property.

We've researched it well, & it seems to be exactly what we're looking for, the only problem is, we don't know where to find it.

I know there have been issues in Ireland with it being planted irresponsibly by town councils & causing issues when they neglected to maintain it, esp. in public areas, I'm figuring that's why it's tough to find.

Still, does anyone know where I could pick some up & better still, have it delivered?

Any advice/suggestions or fast/tall growing alternatives appreciated!

Comments

You can try one of these:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kevinbirchall

I've just priced some Leylandii trees at Readyhedge.ie

They deliver anywhere in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kevinbirchall

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

would you not use some native hedging instead, like Whitethorn, Blackthorn, Beech, Holly. They are all much much easier to maintain than the cursed plant you are thinking of. it should be banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Macrocarpa is a much better choice than the Leylandii for a windbreak/shelterbelt.
    The rootplate in Leylandii is very shallow and any wind with rain will blow them over, I am speaking from experience!
    Plus the wood is shíte for burning or making anything out of after they fall over.
    Thats my 2c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

ravima wrote: »
    would you not use some native hedging instead, like Whitethorn, Blackthorn, Beech, Holly. They are all much much easier to maintain than the cursed plant you are thinking of. it should be banned!

Here Here - Leylandii hedges have all the charm of those awfull monocultures of alien Sitka Spruce that have destroyed bogs and mountainsides all over Ireland:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25 joolsthedog

Are you sure you really want these. They are monstrous, highly neighbour unfriendly and I'm pleased to see that the UK local authorities are issuing ASBOs to people who don't keep the damned things under control. I hope for your neighbours sake that you don't find them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Are you sure you really want these. They are monstrous, highly neighbour unfriendly and I'm pleased to see that the UK local authorities are issuing ASBOs to people who don't keep the damned things under control. I hope for your neighbours sake that you don't find them!!
    x2
    This is a section of my hedge 3 years growth (neighbours ugly fvcking leylandii trees in background). My hedges are mainly whitethorn (70%), but with blackthorn, wych elm, wych willow, hazel, spindle, guelder rose, ash, mountain ash, pedunculate oak, holly, gorse, irish bird cherry, irish crab apple, common birch, elder, dog rose ,ivy and honeysuckle. I have one non-native sycamore tree.
    2w5ob6a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Luxy wrote: »
    We've researched it well, & it seems to be exactly what we're looking for,

Wow, I would love to see the criteria you were using!!!!!

Let me guess:

Must be ugly, dead uniform, evergreen (in case any light would strike the sterile ground underneath), grow like a weed, and have no earthly function when we cop on and want to cut it down. Must be stereotypical of every poorly planned hedge in Ireland, and must look as alien as possible in the landscape. Must not support any native flora or fauna. Must produce crap firewood that spits but gives out no heat.

OK I admit I am not a fan of the stuff. Green linear cancer of the landscape.

LostCovey

x2
    This is a section of my hedge 3 years growth (neighbours ugly fvcking leylandii trees in background). My hedges are mainly whitethorn (70%), but with blackthorn, wych elm, wych willow, hazel, spindle, guelder rose, ash, mountain ash, pedunculate oak, holly, gorse, irish bird cherry, irish crab apple, common birch, elder, dog rose ,ivy and honeysuckle. I have one non-native sycamore tree.
    2w5ob6a.jpg

That looks fantastic Feargal. However it looks a bit unruly to some eyes - unfortunately so many people want to put straight lined boring suburban gardens into the middle of the Irish landscape, and to them your hedge is the kind of thing they clear away before they put in a straight line of leylandii. And a fake dolmen to replace the one that someone buried with a bulldozer to get the planning.

LostCovey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

Cheapest place is Meredith Nurseries - see their ad at the bottom right of the page. They don't deliver to the Republic but will deliver to the North so If you've got any family/contacts in the North then no problem . I've just bought 50 at 75pence ( sterling ) each. Lovely strong plants, about a foot high, pot grown and really healthy. My experience is that pot-grown plants of this size quickly outgrow much bigger plants - and the bigger ones cost about 5 times as much!

George
    Luxy wrote: »
    We're looking to buy some Leyland Cypress, to build a natural fence around some of the property.

We've researched it well, & it seems to be exactly what we're looking for, the only problem is, we don't know where to find it.

I know there have been issues in Ireland with it being planted irresponsibly by town councils & causing issues when they neglected to maintain it, esp. in public areas, I'm figuring that's why it's tough to find.

Still, does anyone know where I could pick some up & better still, have it delivered?

Any advice/suggestions or fast/tall growing alternatives appreciated!

vcsggl wrote: »
    My experience is that pot-grown plants of this size quickly outgrow much bigger plants

And this is.......a good thing????

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

It is if you want a big high screen quite quickly with minimal failures of your transplants. The small pot-grown tress establish much quicker than the big ones and take very little looking after in the early years - the big ones will need watering in dry spells and will probably need wind protection. In the right place Leylandii are very fine trees - in the wrong place they are an absolute disaster!!
    LostCovey wrote: »
    And this is.......a good thing????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The lifespan of leylandiii is very short as the wind knocks them after 25 to 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

The lifespan of leylandiii is very short as the wind knocks them after 25 to 30 years

very true,

Damm things get too big for their roots (which only go a few inches into the ground) and then topple over.

Then you have a right mess to clean up as the wood's pretty useless for firing.

Advertisement