Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelcon has Street Fighter tournament

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

The thing is though, none of the slightly more serious players are going to bother showing up to a tournament with rules like these - personally I really wouldn't consider it worth the bother.

It goes both ways obviously, any Eir-Rage people are free to show up to the stuff we organise on here! We have meetups every couple of weeks (two weeks in a row currently!) and anyone that wants to play is of course more than welcome to drop in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I have to say, if I could use a joystick- any joystick- with any config I like- I would be there in a flash. The Akuma thing I can at least understand the logic behind (he's known for being broken).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I agree with Doom, I'd jump at it if they let me use a stick and give me the crafty advantage of letting me use my own button config.
    Would have thougt the button config they state also goes against the best interest of a casual player too, if I'm only getting to know the game, and especially if I was using a pad - I would definitelt want all 3 x punch/kick mapped to a button otherwise I'm never going to get an ultra out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I have to say, if I could use a joystick- any joystick- with any config I like- I would be there in a flash. The Akuma thing I can at least understand the logic behind (he's known for being broken).
    But Akuma's NOT broken!
    He's got some good moves, but is nowhere NEAR as powerful as Sagat (superb zoning, high damage, that Ultra) or Ryu (superb zoning/pokes, can Ultra from anything).

You're thinking of ST Akuma, who was banned because NOTHING beats air-FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    But Akuma's NOT broken!
    He's got some good moves, but is nowhere NEAR as powerful as Sagat (superb zoning, high damage, that Ultra) or Ryu (superb zoning/pokes, can Ultra from anything).

And nothing beats his inescapable red fireball corner trap.But the air fireball to demon is arguably even more irritating as you can see it coming a mile away but still do nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And even at that Ryu and Sagat are fair and beatable. Banning akuma is just silly since he is a popular character and is nowhere near overpowered.

Also There's no way I'd play with that button combination or with anything other than my own stick.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    But Akuma's NOT broken!

you're picking me up wrong. I was saying I at least can understand why someone out of the loop would think it a good idea to ban akuma. I can't understand the logic behind forcing people to use a certain button config.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    The thing is though, none of the slightly more serious players are going to bother showing up to a tournament with rules like these - personally I really wouldn't consider it worth the bother.

It goes both ways obviously, any Eir-Rage people are free to show up to the stuff we organise on here! We have meetups every couple of weeks (two weeks in a row currently!) and anyone that wants to play is of course more than welcome to drop in.

It is true that these rules go against what most of us would like to see but I still think it is worthwhile for some us to go in order to try and encourage the scene. I will be going as I haven’t been to Gaelcon in a couple of years and this is a great excuse to go. I will even play on a pad if I have to *shudder*

At this thing there may be people who enjoy playing street fighter but have never taken it outside their friends/X-Box Live or want to play a bit more seriously but don't know where to go. These people can be told about what's going here and might start to join up. Blasphemous as it may sound, not everyone is a member of boards and not everyone goes out of their way to find possible street fighter meet-ups like I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

HMUYA wrote: »
    Also the rules go against the game being casual-friendly (the controls are completely different from the default to the point of excluding casual players)

I forgot to mention this in my first post - that rule isn't just terribad, it's super-duper-focus-cancel-EX-ultra terribad.

That's all fair enough, but I'm not gonna encourage and give money to badly-run tournaments - especially when the organiser has been linked to this thread and can after this event hopefully make moves to improve how it's run. Hopefully everyone who does go enjoys it though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

HMUYA wrote: »
    At this thing there may be people who enjoy playing street fighter but have never taken it outside their friends/X-Box Live or want to play a bit more seriously but don't know where to go. These people can be told about what's going here and might start to join up. Blasphemous as it may sound, not everyone is a member of boards and not everyone goes out of their way to find possible street fighter meet-ups like I did.

I would encourage those people to still play under a standard ruleset. And eSports.ie features a calendar of upcoming events which may be worth a look. Any organiser that gets on to us gets listed on that and can get a newspost if they wish to draw extra attention.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I, aswell as everyone else here, want to see the fighting game scene florish in Ireland. Its disheartening when an group with obviously a good bit of organisation and reach and wants to promote the scene runs things so badly that it alienates most people. It hurts the scene imo.

Especially when "All complaints can be sent to myarse@dontcare.com". To me it comes across as whoever is organising it just wants people to play the way he plays and banned Akuma because he got beaten by him one too many times. It also seems this person is very closed to any feedback.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but that's just the way it comes across to me. I really hope I'm wrong and the tournament improves and becomes very popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Jericho_MPM_TFS

This thread is delicious!!!

Of course the person who is saying ban Akuma he must of got sliced and diced to shreds on and offline

ok here this is what u call broken - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBJrUovaGHA - at 1:25 ask yourself how many people can do that around the world not many thats for sure.

if the entire world could do it then its considered as broken but it requires total timing to even pull off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wasn't going to turn up to this because of the awful rules but if it means I can put on my sakura costume, I'll think about it.

There will be a costume competition for those wanting to take part, I believe on the Sunday.

Any Doomy can testify that I am female cos he's seen my epic cleavage :P

I will ask about 'The Sticks' I assume you mean 'joy sticks', I did email a link to this thread to the Gaelcon liaison for this and am waiting for them to get back to me, I am just the online pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Tough crowd, eh Thaed? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

ok here this is what u call broken - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBJrUovaGHA - at 1:25 ask yourself how many people can do that around the world not many thats for sure.

This vid also proves how weak he can be. Straight after the combo you're talking about Sagat hits him with a tiger uppercut into high kick into Ultra and the health bars are practically identical. Even after Akuma whailing on him for a good 20secs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    It is rather difficult to talk about this as maturely as possible without coming across as raving elitest whiners :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Kinetic^ wrote: »

It's not the old feedback forum :pac:

Sagat06 wrote: »
    This vid also proves how weak he can be. Straight after the combo you're talking about Sagat hits him with a tiger uppercut into high kick into Ultra and the health bars are practically identical. Even after Akuma whailing on him for a good 20secs.

Reason it takes so much is cos Sagat was losing so the ultra takes
    (Spastic Noob Assisted Handicap damage)

if the entire world could do it then its considered as broken but it requires total timing to even pull off.

Tier lists are based on high-level tournament play so no you are wrong! Also Sagat VS Akuma still isn't even a bad matchup for Sagat so I don't see how this would make him broken at all.

edit: sweet combo though!

• Advertisement

Tier lists are based on high-level tournament play so no you are wrong! Also Sagat VS Akuma still isn't even a bad matchup for Sagat so I don't see how this makes him broken at all.

Ok so if Tier lists are based on high-level tournament play way is this thread basing up akuma when he is classed as 7th or 8th if best.

Let me type it again (if the whole world could do it and it was easy to do then it would be considered as broken).

+ how is it a bad match up are u saying in your hands u can deal with akuma cos if u want u can put it to the test and prove your point.

Ok so if Tier lists are based on high-level tournament play way is this thread basing up akuma when he is classed as 7th or 8th if best.

Let me type it again (if the whole world could do it and it was easy to do then it would be considered as broken).

+ how is it a bad match up are u saying in your hands u can deal with akuma cos if u want u can put it to the test and prove your point.

I don't understand a lot of your post mate to be honest.

I said it's not a bad match up for Sagat, he doesn't have any in SF4. It's pretty even imo. I don't consider Akuma broken, I'd consider him mid-high tier as would most of the other people posting in this thread I'm sure.

I'm not really sure how to respond to anything else you said as I find it difficult to comprehend!

I said it's not a bad match up for Sagat, he doesn't have any in SF4.

Ok look i'll ask you the same question in a different term then.

Are u classing yourself high with (your) sagat Dreddybajs

No, I'm not a Sagat player. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Agree with Dreddy,

In the hands of a VERY skilled player he can be lethal and his combo's are unbelievable.. but you gotta go to different shores to be concerned about him at that level!! at the level we play at he is quite balanced, he has as I said awesome combos but his super and ultra are really hard to catch someone with and his damage points are awful!!

I think he's balanced in high level play too though, that's my whole point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Does anyone know if all characters will be unlocked for this tournament?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Akuma I think is very well balanced. He has great combos, can dish out loads of damage and has a great zoning game. However he is very stressful to play as because if anyone gets in close you are screwed due to the damage he takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Id put akuma level with ryu but deffo not broken.

• Advertisement

No, I'm not a Sagat player. :confused:

Ok cool so if your not a Sagat player why u stating high level odds when u clearly don't know Sagat or the match ups tbh who says on the net that the match ups are precise they could be BS for all we know.

Advertisement