Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelcon has Street Fighter tournament

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Ok cool so if your not a Sagat player why u stating high level odds when u clearly don't know Sagat or the match ups tbh who says on the net that the match ups are precise they could be BS for all we know.

You're right, I've never even played Street Fighter. I just wanted to look cool. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

That's just acting like an idiot dreddy, anyways back on point,

Unban Akuma, He's a character like everyone else.
    Allow Sticks if you want to attract some good players.
    Allow button binding.
    Allow switching button configs.
    Best 2 of 3 fights, 3 rounds per fight.
    Winner's only.
    5 Euro entry, 25% for winners pot, or some small prize like a 30 euro GAME card or something.

There you go, the way the rules should be. Close this thread it's a joke tbh.

I just wanted to look like a big man I'm sorry guys. ;/

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Jericho_MPM_TFS and Dreddybajs this thread isn't about Sagat's so no more going off topic please.

Xinkai please try not to insult any more people on these threads, your on thin ice as is.

The thread will remain open to allow for 'constructive feedback' to any of the Eir-Rage or Gaelcon organisers who wish to read this. We are not going to endear oursleves to the organisers if we acting like children who's toys have been thrown out of the pram.

Back on topic everyone here is in agreement on several issues.

1. Akuma should not banned. There is no evidence to suggest he is broken in SF IV.
    2. Players should be allowed use there own pads and sticks.
    3. Custom Button configuration should be allowed.
    4. As for tournament rules, its usually the best of 3 sets and each set is best of 3 rounds. Some form of double elimination is preferred.

These are the defacto standards for international tournament. If these rules where introduced I'm sure interest from players here to attend would increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Jericho_MPM_TFS

Azza I clearly came here to give simple constructive feedback now its all good if u do or do not wanna hear it as stated in page 5 underneath Xinkai's post via msn.

But someone else decided to post and argue about something clearly he does not understand and for the sake of it thought he would look like some big man & be cool at the same time buy being not helpful to this thread by any standard so don't put me in his league.

anyway good luck with your stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think you are arguing with the wrong people, we all know Dreddybajs very well and we all know he knows his stuff.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Think you are arguing with the wrong people, we all know Dreddybajs very well and we all know he knows his stuff.

Really!! then he should have no trouble cleaning up in October then is it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

"It was the one thing we didn't want to happen."

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Azza I clearly came here to give simple constructive feedback now its all good if u do or do not wanna hear it as stated in page 5 underneath Xinkai's post via msn.

But someone else decided to post and argue about something clearly he does not understand and for the sake of it thought he would look like some big man & be cool at the same time buy being not helpful to this thread by any standard so don't put me in his league.

anyway good luck with your stuff

You have no idea man.

There's no point.

Eir-rage people please ignore these last two pages of posts and take the constructive feedback for what it is.

• Advertisement

Jim wrote: »
    There's no point.

Eir-rage people please ignore these last two pages of posts and take the constructive feedback for what it is.

Jim its cool i didn't come here to cause problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Getting back on topic, maybe people should state outright whether they would consider going if there were standard rules? If say, 15 or 20 of us state that we would consider going then there would be some incentive for the eir-rage organisers to change.

You can put me down as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I think Eir-Rage are pretty set in their ways regarding this event. I'll assume they'll take the feedback from this and maybe next year they can improve and make the tournament to the standardised rules all Street Fighter 4 Tournaments hold in the world. They obviously don't know their street fighter and the feedback given here will be a great learning experience for all organisers involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Right these are the controller settings for the comp. No changes will be allowed so suck it up and get used to them.

Punches
    Low Punch A
    Medium Punch X
    Heavy Punch LT

Kicks
    Low Kick B
    Medium Kick Y
    Heavy Kick RT

Throw LB
    Focus Attack RB

Also AKUMA is Banned due to the stupid fast Heavy kick amongst other things!

that does not compute with:
    thaedylad wrote:
    What is Eir-Rage the International Console Championship?
    The National Console Championship is a series of 8 competitive gaming events being run in Ireland throughout 2009. Gamers will compete against each other in events from soccer (FIFA '09) to shooting games such as Gears of War 2, Call of Duty 5 and Halo 3. From each competition two teams will qualify for a national final to be held late October/mid November.
    Altogether, each qualifier will have two events for teams of four and six events for single players.
    Where will it take place?
    The qualifing events will be held at gaming conventions around the country. These events are run by non profit societies and attract hundreds and in some cases thousands of gamers and they raise hundreds of thousands of euro each year for Irish charities. The first of these events will take place in Cork at the end of January followed by another seven events taking place in and around Dublin, Galway and Sligo.

What are the aims of the Championship?
    The decision to hold the championship came about as an attempt to address Irelands current world ranking in professional gaming. Ireland is credited with having the second highest spending per capita in the world on gaming, and yet we are languishing in 64th place in the world pro-gaming circut. When asked, Irish gamers identified that main reason behind this was the lack of oppurtunity to compete on a pro circut. A secondary reason which was identified was the inconvenience for players at having to bring along their own gaming consoles and televisions in order to compete.

We hope that with this event and its associated media exposure, we will raise the profile of Irish gaming both nationally and internationally, which will result in higher rankings for Ireland. Also, in order to carry this out, we must eliminate the need for competitors to bring their own equipment in order to take part. If there's anyway you can help with this, it would be much appreciated.

frankly, i know brian wilson. he doesnt have a bulls notion about competitive gaming. he should at least research wat hes talking about before telling irelands competitive gaming scene that we dont know what we are doing.
    not even 5 mins research has been done. the above example is proof of that.

Jazzy wrote: »
    that does not compute with:

frankly, i know brian wilson. he doesnt have a bulls notion about competitive gaming. he should at least research wat hes talking about before telling irelands competitive gaming scene that we dont know what we are doing.
    not even 5 mins research has been done. the above example is proof of that.
    As far as I am aware Brian isn't actually running the comp, he's just helping Eir-rage organise it at the event, such as times and where they are setting up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Street Fighter 4
    A true successor to Street Fighter 2 has emerged at last! (All them other ones are like Highlander 2, It just didn't happen right?!) Pick your fighter, go kick ass. Best of 5-single player elimination tourney - ( Aakuma is banned in the name of fairness )

Oh cheers! :rolleyes:

But to get back on topic, E14 I guess isn't bad but remember that there was a prize pot for the last one (where it was E15 for everyone) which covered tournament entry (or prize pot) + console rental.

Oh and spell Akuma properly!

Sorry for the rant. Just had a bad day.

Jim wrote: »
    As far as I am aware Brian isn't actually running the comp, he's just helping Eir-rage organise it at the event, such as times and where they are setting up etc.

well they should get someone who knows what they are doing to run the competitions and use proper rules.
    if eir-rage is taking this international thing seriously (and judging by the wording they are) then they should use and play the rules that are in use in the major competitive tournaments. or else they are talking sh1t about wanting to up professional gaming in ireland and are extremely narrow minded. it really is as simple as that.

either use the rule set that exists in actual pr0 competitions or stop talking sh1t about "The National Console Championship". the last thing the irish gaming scene needs is sh1t talkers going in ar$e first... because all that does is divide the already small enough player base and we create more of the same problems we have now.

in summary - listen to Azza and ask for his help. hes helped run big big gaming events before, he knows the players, he knows the game and hes a nice guy. ignore Azza & co. and well, good luck

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ok. Last warning on this thread.

If I see anyone insulting anyone from now on, it's a ban.

It is not allowed on boards. Full stop. "Don't be a dick" is the rule in general.

Furthermore, if you don't like what a mod is saying, do not argue on thread.

You can pm the mod or start a helpdesk thread.

There's alot of good stuff in this thread and I am not going to allow it get swallowed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

So nobody knows if all other characters will be unlocked then?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

So nobody knows if all other characters will be unlocked then?

there's been no communication from the people running it at all.

Thaed's simply been kind enough to try and liason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

there's been no communication from the people running it at all.

Thaed's simply been kind enough to try and liason.
    I was speaking to Brian Wilson yesterday, in person. I just explained the situation, described how the majority of the SFIV community were not impressed with the current ruleset and would prefer something more consistent with the professional circuits.

He seemed surprised, but promised to discuss it with the Eir-Rage representative. Will post more if I get any updates, though I think he said he was going to contact Azza or someone for any input that would help.

Cheers Ivan, that's encouraging to hear!

Ivan wrote: »
    I was speaking to Brian Wilson yesterday, in person. I just explained the situation, described how the majority of the SFIV community were not impressed with the current ruleset and would prefer something more consistent with the professional circuits.

He seemed surprised, but promised to discuss it with the Eir-Rage representative. Will post more if I get any updates, though I think he said he was going to contact Azza or someone for any input that would help.

im shocked tbh. if he does anything against the grain that means he was potentially wrong ill happily eat word soup

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

You can't establish a competitive environment with non-competitive (casual) rules. If whoever is running this project doesn't understand this simple and obvious truth, then the chances of said project under the same ownership being successful in establishing a self-supporting company to run a pro circuit for Ireland are slim.

It should be a good weekend, though: Tetris, Rock Band, Mario Kart, Smash, Halo, Street Fighter all look like good fun.May head up if I'm in the country at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Guys I passed this link on and the queries that came up here, I've been offline it is a bankholiday weekend and as soon as I hear anything back I will post here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Jazzy wrote: »
    im shocked tbh. if he does anything against the grain that means he was potentially wrong ill happily eat word soup
    I think it was more he felt he had left it in capable hands, and was surprised to hear that it might be otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I just have 1 question did he ever look into how much SF4 experience Eir-Rage actuall had beore employing them?

Edit: ignore this post, didn't read page 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So, been offline for a bit, but thought I'd chime in a little on the questions of fairness, cheapness, etc.

First of all, Akuma has always been a combo monster -- low Short -> Tatsu -> Shoryu has been around since SF2 IIRC. SFA3, just look up Daigo vs Alex Valle. SF3, he had UNBLOCKABLE Supers, as well as supreme dizzy-ability.
    And yet for all that, he's never been considered "broken" except for 1 game: Super Turbo. The reason he was considered broken & was banned by the community is not because of his combos or dizzy-ability -- it's because he had 1 absolutely unstoppable move, the air-Hadouken (QCF+P in air).
    Basically, nothing can stop it (NOTHING!), so Akuma can do this move over, and over, and over, and...

And this leads into why Akuma shouldn't be banned in SFIV -- he has NOTHING of this level of broken. His HK combo is just that - a hard to set-up combo, requiring incredible timing, but still suffering from damage scaling; and it gives the opponent Ultra meter, which is very dangerous considering Akuma's low health.

In fact, if anything, Seth should be considered banned -- if he has Ultra, he can set-up an unwinnable situation for the opponent where they can't dash in, jump in, throw fireballs or even attack!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

If rules were changed a bit, I'd definitely consider going. As is, my little sis of 7 could beat me with that button layout O_o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    As is, my little sis of 7 could beat me with that button layout O_o

Show her only one move, fireballs. Then she'll be banned for using too many fireballs :D

Advertisement