Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelcon has Street Fighter tournament

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I think those were a different set of rules. I have been training my little brother of 9 though, he'd beat a button masher, so as it stands, he'd probably make it to the top 3 of this tournament! Seriously though, I'd love for something like this to get a reputation as a top standard tournament for all the games played. I'll def. consider going for the RB tournament, if nothing else. Ireland needs to get itself on the map as it were!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Wow, never saw this thread, what a whole load of fail.

It's simple: either continue as you are: basically none of us will be interested.
    or: fix your competition by doing what people here have unanimously suggested and some of the people here will go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Good afternoon all,

Thank you all for your feedback. It is most helpful. Gerry is currently setting up the specifics for the SF4 tournament but this is the first year in a long time that Gaelcon has tried to have a full on console section and I would like to see it as successful as possible. I will take your concerns about the key binding and Akuma to Gerry and arrange something that will provide the greatest amount of balance and enjoyment for both casual and professional players.

I would appreciate it if Azza could get in touch with me at consoles@gaelcon.com so that we can discuss the events you have run in Dublin.

Please rest assured that I am dedicated to making the console events at Gaelcon as successful as possible and am delighted to see such passionate discussion about this tournament.
    Regards,
    B

So if a compromise can be sorted which works how many of ye will I get to meet at Gaelcon? I had hoped to call into GFX on Sunday but something cropped up, will have to call in to see how you guys do things, always glad to see communities like this one getting up and growing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Nice to see that our comments were taken into account (and that the more silly parts of this thread were ignored!). As I stated earlier, I would consider going

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thaedydal wrote: »
    So if a compromise can be sorted which works how many of ye will I get to meet at Gaelcon? I had hoped to call into GFX on Sunday but something cropped up, will have to call in to see how you guys do things, always glad to see communities like this one getting up and growing.

If it's run like evo with you're one button config, joysticks allowed and akuma allowed I'll be there. Possibly in costume if there's a demand. Nice to see they took the constructive criticism on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Unless it clashes with a quasar tournament which will be one of the last two weekends in October, I'll be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If it's run like evo with you're one button config, joysticks allowed and akuma allowed I'll be there. Possibly in costume if there's a demand. Nice to see they took the constructive criticism on board.
    ^this (minus the Sakura costume)

Jim wrote: »
    ^this (minus the Sakura costume)

Yeah Retr0, Jim wants to see a cammy costume instead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

animaX wrote: »
    A bearded Cammy? Hmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

No man should ever dress as a woman, unless he is Japanse and I've had too much beer.

IT'S A TRAP!!!

• Advertisement

Monkeyto wrote: »
    No man should ever dress as a woman, unless he is Japanse and I've had too much beer.

IT'S A TRAP!!!

You can tell us that story on the train on saturday!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If this gets sorted out I will happily break my self imposed Gaelcon ban and you will have achieved what many have failed. :)

Gaelcon is on as per the link in my sig the 24th - 26th of Oct 2009 which is the bank holiday weekend, in the D4hotel in Ballsbridge which is a short hop on a bus from the city centre or a 20 min stroll..
    If this gets sorted out I will happily break my self imposed Gaelcon ban and you will have achieved what many have failed. :)

Oooooh I shall bring glitter just for you :D I expect to see you there Doombot told you that months ago, Muhahahahahahahahahah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

animaX wrote: »
    YOU'RE RUINING MY FANTASIES!

WAIT, MY FANTASIES ABOUT CAMMY! NOT RETR0!!

www.gaelcon.com/consoles/sf4
    Street Fighter 4

A true successor to Street Fighter 2 has emerged at last!

Following some rather heated discussion the rules for our SF4 tournament are going to be:

Single elimination format.

Each match is the best of 3 sets.

Each set is the best of 3 rounds. Players may change character between sets.

All characters are allowed.

Players may use their own controllers.

Players may customize their key configuration before the match.

Pausing mid game results in a forfeit of the round by the player who pauses this, unless its agreed by both players to restart.

In the event of concerns about counter picking, double blind picking will be used.

In the event of concerns about which side people are starting on a coin toss will be used to decide who gets which side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Cheers Thaedydal :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Pausing mid game results in a forfeit of the round by the player who pauses this, unless its agreed by both players to restart.

:( that's me out so... it's like a habit I've picked up from online play, whenever someone initiates an Ultra I just tap start to skip it... of course this does nothing when playing online, but at the meets it keeps pausing and unpausing the games.

Noticed a few other guys where doing it also. Nice to see Akuma is unbanned, although it's curious that Sagat never came up to be banned (probably because everyone who voted originally for the rules where using Sagat themselves :pac:)

L31mr0d wrote: »
    :( that's me out so... it's like a habit I've picked up from online play, whenever someone initiates an Ultra I just tap start to skip it... of course this does nothing when playing online, but at the meets it keeps pausing and unpausing the games.

That's a standard rule used in EVO and all other tournaments. Actually, it happened to a guy at EVO when his short cable unplugged itself! Better learn to stop doing it!

But you can do it if you're playing against me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Common sense and & community feedback prevails.

The system works:) Thanks Thaedyal.

Now, the only problem is that there are two tourneys on the same day.
    The lord giveth with one hand......

A-Trak wrote: »
    Common sense and & community feedback prevails.

The system works:) Thanks Thaedyal.

Now, the only problem is that there are two tourneys on the same day.
    The lord giveth with one hand......

Yep and because Gaelcon looked like they were not giving any feedback, most of us have committed to the LAN Party event.

Is Gaelcon a full weekend or just a one day event? Might be possible to have the LAN Party on the Saturday and Gaelcon on the Sunday?

Cheers for the info Thaedydal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Sweet now it's a tournament! Fair play to the guy for changing the rules to make some sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

I don't believe this.......I'm on bloody holiday with the missus that week. I wouldn't mind, but I'm actually getting a tournament edition fight stick off a returning Ex-Pat on the 21st! I'm a bit sick actually, as I'd really like a go.....if it's on early on the 24th, I'll be able to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Much better rule set.
    and Single elim with best of 3 matches is much better than Double elim.

You might want to put in a line about turbos and programable contollers though.

Much better rule set.
    and Single elim with best of 3 matches is much better than Double elim.

You might want to put in a line about turbos and programable contollers though.

Best of three sets, double elim is far better than just a single elim comp.

Why do you think single elim is better?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I prefer double elimination best of 3 myself.

Personal preference but I'd imagine most people would prefer, double elimination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah I far prefer double elimination as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Funny thing, the Japanese use single elimination.

Then again, they have many many more players to contend with!

Double elimination FTW!

Yep and because Gaelcon looked like they were not giving any feedback, most of us have committed to the LAN Party event.

Is Gaelcon a full weekend or just a one day event? Might be possible to have the LAN Party on the Saturday and Gaelcon on the Sunday?

Cheers for the info Thaedydal.

Gaelcon is running for the 3 days of the bank holiday weekend out in the Ballsbridge Inn Conference centre.

I know lanparty.ie is on that weekend as well and I wish the lads well with it,
    Gaelcon has always been that bank holiday weekend.
    I don't know about the feasiblity of moving the SF4 comp to the Sunday but I will certainly see if it is possible and get back to you guys on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

If it was on the Sunday I would make the effort for sure!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

What time is it on?

Advertisement