Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelcon has Street Fighter tournament

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Best of three sets, double elim is far better than just a single elim comp.

Why do you think single elim is better?

Double elim leads to One person in a final having to win twice against a guy who has to win once.
    People will say "oh but he lost once already" but that was potentially rounds ago, people shouldnt carry advantages into a final in my opinion.

Over a best of 3 matches you have 2 chances to get your game on anyway so a double elim (i.e. a second chance) is not necessary.

The Gaa as far as I am aware practise a limited form of it where you have a second chance up until a point, past the preliminary rounds its gets silly.

So I prefer single elim over a few matches (so that its not one bad match and out) or group stage into knockouts over double elim.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Considering the player coming out of the loser's bracket has been given a second chance I'd say yeah he should have to prove his worth against the unbeaten winners bracket champion.

You do wanna see a great grand final right? Do you think Evo's final was good? Cause with single elimination it would have never existed. Even the best lose sometimes and with double elim, it gives EVERYONE with determination that chance to show ther true skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Fighting games are too matchup dependant for single elimination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dreddybajs wrote:
    Fighting games are too matchup dependant for single elimination
    Too damn right, ZANGIEF! :pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Too damn right, ZANGIEF! :pac:

Hey, I have probably the toughest matchup in the game vs Seth, cut me some slack. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Double elim encourages dry turtle play and SF IV does not need encouragement on that front.

I have no problem with second chances, I have a problem within a single round One person having a victory in hand against another. Especially a final.

As for match ups, more games actually favours the better char...

Single elim doesnt have to be one game and off.
    Personally I'd up the rounds and matches over various brackets, a bit like the snooker.

Dennis Taylor knows it makes sense.

Oh and Blanka vs Vega is the worst match up in the game

Seriously man it's been explained to you on multiple occasions why it's fair that the loser's bracket player has to win twice, I don't think anyone can say anything to change your mind on it so there's no point arguing about it here...thread has had enough ridiculous arguments. :pac:

Completely disagree that double elimination encourages dry turtle play as well, can you provide any examples of that?

edit: Also it's unfair to up the rounds and matches as it goes on in single elimination as it gives players who face each other in later brackets more time to adapt to their opponent than their first round opponents got.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion on rules and formats, but I would imagine the majority would favor double elimination, so unless enough people express the desire to see the format changed I'm can't imagine we will be switching over to single elimination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Street Fighter IV encourages dry turtle play.
    :pac: *rimshot* :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Double elim encourages dry turtle play and SF IV does not need encouragement on that front.

Its only dry and turtley to rushdown fans. To zoning fans, its a true show of patience and skill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Spot the sim player eh?

<_<

>_>

:p hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

:p True enough. But I usually play zoners. In smash, I play Yoshi and the amount of "omg egg spam!" I get from people is funny. If you can keep a guy out, he gets annoyed and makes mistake to get in....which just makes it easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Tournaments are for spectators as well as players.

Double elimination allows for a potentially great spectacle as well as teetering on the edge of being almost as fair as you can get.

If someone has had a flawless tournament and winds up in the final against someone they have already beaten. I think it's only fair that the person playing them has to beat them twice. He/she messed up previously, so they should have to show their mettle to win. Winning twice in the final is a good way of doing this.

Single elimination is too harsh.

Gaelcon is well worth checking out anyway. They have some great games available to play. Hours of fun. Get involved with the different types of gaming, you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Yo m8 topics been moved here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055684583 to its own thread. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Yeh spotted it too late.

I added in an edit to make myself seem less noobish, thanks for pointing it out though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

I still think its complete ass that Akuma is banned... most likely cause of his hard kick but come on like... :mad:

Gona go to this n start dropping some F bombs...

Akuma's not banned. The rules are changed, all characters are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Why dont I believe you Azza :P

EDIT# K I believe ya lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

most likely cause of his hard kick but come on like... :mad:

I'd say the main gripes came from the Sagat/Rufus camp due to Akumas HK roundhouse ~lp loop.

Sagat players have no business having a gripe what so ever, EVER.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

With lanparty.ie running thier comp on the Saturday, Gaelcon is considering moving thier comp to the Sunday.

Yup there is the possibiliy of two comps on in Dublin the same weekend.
    Will we see the same person win both?
    It's a nice chance for grudge rematches 24 hours later.

So if we can move the SFIV comp to the Sunday, how many of you will then be attending?
    Let us know so we have an idea of numbers please, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I'll head over for sure, but the hands might be a bit shakey :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sounds good to me.

Good stuff Thaedydal-dydal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Yeah, I'd be up for it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'd planned to go Gaelcon anyway but now I can go to both! Yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I'll be there defending my LanParty2 title won the previous evening ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Xinkai wrote: »
    I understand numbers and such would be cool, but i don't think the tournament should be changed, players should be given a choice, Lanparty or gealcon. That'd be like Evo on sat then WCW on sunday... I have more to say, i'm just too lazy to type...

What?????

We're being given the best choice possible, go to one or both if you want.

You couldn't be more wrong on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I understand numbers and such would be cool, but i don't think the tournament should be changed, players should be given a choice, Lanparty or gealcon. That'd be like Evo on sat then WCW on sunday... I have more to say, i'm just too lazy to type...

Honest to god, that makes not one iota of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Wait... yup nvm, forgot to read entire thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

So you can go to both but would prefer to go to just one?

Thaed and myself wanted people to go to both. I would've liked to move ours to the Sunday to accomadate Gaelcon but it was the last day so it wasn't feasible. I'm in debt to Gaelcon for this. The fighting community is being given a great opportunity of 2 great events within 24 hours and you think it's a bad thing?

While the scene is not young, it's being revived and turning up to both events will signal to organisers, not just Gaelcon or LanParty, that the fighting games scene is looking to be seen as a community that is looking for competitions as one of the main events, when before they would've been just some side tournament that random folk would join in.

This is an oppurtunity not to be missed folks. Our lan is finished at about 5/6 on the sunday, if the tourney is still on in Gaelcon I'll pop in to see how you're getting on.

Advertisement