Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help naming a cat

Options
  • 30-07-2009 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I've just got her from the animal shelter but she has no name and I can't decide on what to call her.

qyemih.jpg
    She's underweight at the moment and her skin and fur are dry and shedding alot but she hasn't stopped purring and just wants to sit on my lap. meows at me when i get up, stops when shes back up on my lap. She can jump fine as well although i've only seen her jump onto the couch/chair/my lap. jumping down from a height is different, she gets a bit wobbly but lands on all three paws fine.

I can't think of any names and I know the people of AH will think of some good ones or have something funny to say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Blackie or Chairman Meow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Snowy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Meatball
    Smokey
    Pebbles
    Slippers
    Socks
    Shadow
    Cuddles
    snuggles
    Bobby
    Peanut
    Ruby
    Whiskers
    Paws

;)

Smokey
    2. Tiger
    3. Kitty
    4. Shadow
    5. Tigger
    6. Baby
    7. Princess
    8. Oreo
    9. Max
    10. Angel
    11. Patches
    12. Gizmo
    13. Midnight
    14. Sassy
    15. Bella
    16. Precious
    17. Buddy
    18. Simba
    19. Lucky
    20. Boots
    21. Lucy
    22. Missy
    23. Charlie
    24. Fluffy
    25. Molly
    26. Callie
    27. Jack
    28. Cleo
    29. Chloe
    30. Daisy
    31. Sammy
    32. Cali
    33. Pepper
    34. Pumpkin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Aww best of luck with your cat...why only three paws though?

As for names? I had a pure black cat for the last 9 yrs who died a few months back :( ...I had all intentions of naming him but never did...he was always just the cat or puss.
    Names I toyed with were nero or schwarz (for obvious reasons) but they wouldn't work for a she really...plus she's got some white. How about zebedee?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

She's a nice cat, how about calling her Sheba.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Sooty

Its the name that sprang to mind when I looked at the pic - cute cat, hope she settles and gets stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Moved from AH

Well that was rude.....

Why do some mods have to be sooo agressive

I'll prob be banned for saying that but meh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Mayoegian wrote: »
    Well that was rude.....

Why do some mods have to be sooo agressive

I'll prob be banned for saying that but meh!

o_O apart from having no idea what you're talking about...
    if you have issue with a post please use the 'report post' button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Congrats on the new cat, she's lovely. Once she fills out a bit she'll be a really nice cat. She'll be a bit wobbly for a while if she's only recently lost the leg. Plenty of exercise and she'll be grand she won't be a steady as a 4 legged but pretty near. Only thing to do is when she does fill out a bit ensure she doesn't become over weight because it's harder on the oul leg that has to balance.

Had a 3 legged cat for years as I think I said already and she was a flyer, climbing trees and did everything the other cats did. Must see if I can find a pic of her doing one of her balancing acts.

If you give her a couple of days you'll start to see her real personality come out and it might be easier to choose a name then. Or perhaps a character from a favourite film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

I quickly scanned through the names above and the name Bandit stood out. Could be because I have a Suzuki 1200 Bandit bike :D. Best not to ask me about cat names though, my two female cats are called Patrick & Winston! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Lirange

First impression of your cat ... that's not a cat but a shapeshifter!

Anyway here be the names. She seems like a ...

Cleo
    Tiglet
    Batcat
    Pegpaw
    Banzai
    Mookie
    Nessie
    Pokey

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

My cat also has 3 legs. She's fine, catches rabbits all the time. Just remember not to cut her nails as she will need the extra defence as she's at a disadvantage. I never leave the cat out at night though as she can't defend herself as well as a 4 legged version.

How about Tripod for a name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭cmf86

How about Minnie,

I had 2 kittens that i had to rear from 3 weeks old as the mother cat was run over, and the female was really tiny compared to the male, so i called her Minnie, she was all black too like your cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

How about Cleo or trio if you want a 3 legged name.
    On the 3 legged subject, I know someone who had a three legged cat that caught a rabbit on more than one occasion as well as anything small and furry. It just takes few months to get their balance and there fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Lovely looking kitty... Kudos for picking up a three legged one too:)

I love the name Lucy for a female cat, but that's just me...
    Isis?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Here's some pictures of my cat, who, after an accident, has just 3 legs. Her name is Sooty, we originally had her and her twin sister and we called them Sooty and Sweep. Poor Sweep passed away shortly after her first birthday. It's about 2 years now since Sooty lost her leg and she hasn't put on any weight at all, she's still as active as ever, but as I said in my earlier post I don't leave her out at night, on the vet's advice, because she probably couldn't protect herself as effectively as if she had 4 legs. So don't worry about your little cat, once she adjusts and changes her centre of gravity she'll be fine. You can see from the picture that Sooty tends to put her remaining front paw to the centre, this was only learned after falling over a few times.

Best of luck with it, and I still think that Tripod would be a good name, aparently that's what they call cats animals with 3 legs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Kitler.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

How about 'Miyagi'. As in 'Mr. Miyagi' from the karate kid. Lets face it, the cat looks like Mr Miyagi. You know it does. As for calling it 'minnie' or some such, (sooty, blackie, anything ending in eeee) I mean...really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭cmf86

Patch123 wrote: »
    How about 'Miyagi'. As in 'Mr. Miyagi' from the karate kid. Lets face it, the cat looks like Mr Miyagi. You know it does. As for calling it 'minnie' or some such, (sooty, blackie, anything ending in eeee) I mean...really.

Everyone has different opinons, no need to put anybody elses names down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Lirange

Patch123 wrote: »
    Miyagi ends in ... eeee.

Besides *she* looks more like Sun Yat-Sen than Mr. Miyagi.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

Well I think she looks like a Jessy.

But I cant give advice, I have two 13 weeks old females and their called Socks and Charlotte ( charlie).
    Socks my BF named and we got charlie from a rescue and didnt feel it right to change her name.

Heres a pic :D

Socks is the tabby and Charlies the calico.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

For the three-legged theme, what about Robin? (or Robyn, to make it more feminine) as in 'Reliant...'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

what did you finally decide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

She looks a lot like my cat Lucky (also a rescue), so that's the name I'm gonna suggest for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

She still doesn't have a name. I got names from family and friends and some here. I picked the names that made me laugh (in fairness the name isn't really for her, it's for people so I thought at least give her a name that will make people smile). I set up a poll on another website so people that I know that don't use this can vote, I wasn't going to put this up here but I had decided that today would be the day she gets a name but it's a tie.

So please vote for your favourite and it's mulitple choice too. I've extended the poll a day or two.

http://www.twiigs.com/poll/Recreation/36785

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Lady or Beauty??

Advertisement